Best Summerslam ever?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
The 22nd Summerslam is taking place this year and I want to get your thoughts on which Summerslam you think was the best from top to bottom

Summerslam 2002 August 25th- Uniondale NY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SummerSlam_(2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYQnPUidbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aTD4I9nr-0&feature=related

I will never forget this PPV. It was my 12th birthday and I had been looking forward to and anticipating this PPV and the matches on it for a while. From top to bottom the PPV was incredible. The match quality was amazing and so was the story telling. Even at age 12, I knew wrestling wasnt real it was just entertainment but this PPV made me forget that all of this was staged. The bulid up for this PPV was incredible it was like watching a movie. The Undercard was great and ever match told a story. The build up for HBK vs HHH was perfectly executed and HBK showed exactly why he was the showstopper. The Main Event between the Next Big Thing Brock lesnar and the Rock was built up just like Rocky IV. We had the challenger Brock Lesnar who had dominated everyone in his way and was about to go up against the Undisputed peoples champion the Rock who became the underdog in the match. The Rock is my all time favorite wrestler and the whole match I was genuinely worried that he was going to lose the title because the WWE did a great job of taking Brock Lesnar and they really built him up and hyped him up to be this Monster and it was perfectly executed and when I saw Brock counter the peoples elbow and F-5 the Rock I was sad the Rock had lost but I knew I had just witnessed a great match and an amazing PPV. Summerslam 2002 made me look forward to the following Summerslams because I expected the same quality out of the PPV. The quality of Summerslam I believe has gotten worse over the years but I still find this PPV to be very prestigious because of its previous years. Summerslam 2002 is the greatest PPV I have seen from top to bottom( WATCH IT)and that PPV truly reflected the quality of WWE in 2002 which was great wrestling and a great time to be a wrestling fan

btman

Reaction score
Haha yeah Summerslam USED to be my favorite PPV. The last couple years I've kind of forgot why but I remember that card and I always liked the green stage and logo.. But yeah the last 2 or 3 Summerslams... Well they just kind of sucked. Summerslam also used to be more entertaining I guess because it was always the last PPV before school started up again... Now its just another ppv in the way of a work schedule lol. And so far this years Summerslam isn't looking like anything spectacular.

Best Summerslam? Either 2002 or 2003. I don't think I've watched the PPV earlier then that though ><

Evil Austin

I have to say 2002 was my personal favorite, it was one of the first PPV's I saw, and I had it recorded on VHS for years... It had the return match of HBK, a great encounter between Rock and Lesnar with other matches such as Flair / Jericho, Benoit / RVD, Eddie / Edge and others.

Reaction score
Summerslam 1991.

The Match Made in Heaven: Macho Man weds Elizabeth

The Match Made in Hell: Hogan + Ultimate Warrior vs General Adnan, Colonel Mustafa and Sgt Slaughter.

Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect for the IC Championship. Bret wins, many consider this one of the greatest IC matches of all time.

Jailhouse Match: Big Bossman beats the Mountie. (okay it's lame looking back on it, but they had a great feud and a cool storyline!)

^that Summerslam has always been my fave.

Airfixx

As a young fan, I too was somehow more-so a fan of Summerslam (than WM) - Summerslam 89 will always hold a special place in my heart as it was the first PPV I ever saw and still holds a few fave moments/matches.... Harts/BrainBusters, Piper returns to cost Rude the IC title against Warrior, Zues finally gving Hogan a taste of what it's like to get between the ropes with 'The Human Wrecking Machine'.

In terms of match quallity, I'd concur you have to go a long way to better 2002 (Big up Rey v Angle too!), but I think 2000 is also worth a shout... TLC1, Taker v Kane, Benoit/Jericho 2/3falls, the botch-tastic main event (lol)...

Other faves from Summerlam past.....

Bret v Perfect (IC) '91
Bret v Bulldog (IC) '92
Bret v Owen (Cage/WWE title) '94
Undertaker v Mankind (Boileroom Brawl) '96
Rock v HHH (Ladder/IC title) '98
Benoit v Orton (WHC) '04

Reaction score
Summer Slam 02 by a landslide. It's got five legit main events on one card. Plus it was a turning point for the company. Rocky out, Brock in, the return to PPV of Eddy G and Chris Murderer, the PPV debut of Rey, Edge starting his ascension up the card and most importantly the return of HBK who showed no signs of dust after a 4 year lay off. Not only was this the best SS ever, it is easily the second best PPV of this decade behind WM 17. It had the emotion, history changing, match quality moments that make an incredible show. Lord knows the E didn't even come close to having a show this good not named WrestleMania for at least 5 solid years, sans the real ECW ONS shows.

kingovkings

Reaction score
yep SS 02 is my fave SS. It was a great card from top to bottom. HBK returning was my fave part id say. But the whole PPV was just pure entertainment from beginng to end. In fact i might get it out and watch it tonight now =]

Reaction score
yeah I might do the same thing. Its good to watch old PPVs and compare them to the quality we see now

ratedrko09

Reaction score
yes the 02 edition was great. the return of HBK and the rock vs brock match. Wow!