Best mic worker of all time?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
There have been many great mic workers over the years Hogan, Flair, Savage, Austin, Jericho, Rock, Triple H just to name a few. Who do you all think is the greatest microphone worker of all time?

Pat Patterson

Banned
Reaction score
Ray Stevens used to be great at workin' the mic RIP. I mean wow he could really grip that mic and just make it work. He was great on the stick is what I'm trying to say to ya, kid.

Reaction score
Ultimate Warrior
Jake Roberts
Goldust (he was awesome as the Bizarre One and with the Booker T segments in 2002)
Hogan
Flair
Dusty Rhodes ("Hard Times" promo. Brought tears to people's eyes)
Randy Savage
Austin
The Rock
Mankind
Undertaker (classic Undertaker)
Piper

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I sure hope you are joking about Warrior, but I have to admit, I get a chuckle out of the ULLLTIIIMATTTTE WARRRRRIIOR!!!!! Promos lol.

Personally, one of my favorite mic workers is Randy Savage. Heel or face he could always cut one hell of a promo and could keep people entertained throughout and I feel he was a sports-enertainer years before wrestling was sports enertainment. The promo of him doing "word association" on his DVD is one of my favorite promos ever lol.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
You really had to have been a kid when Warrior was brand new and giving the most insane over the top promos ever. It's one of those things where if you weren't there to really experience it you'll never really understand it.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Here are a few names that I feel are some of the all time greats at cutting promos that haven't been mentioned yet:
Shane Douglas
Raven
Ted Sr.
Christian
HBK
Jericho
Edge

OrtonMark54

Reaction score
It just so happens that most of the greatest mic workers are also some of the most over wrestlers in history. Thus proving that mic work and connecting with the crowd is far more important than actually wrestling ability.

1. Rock
2. Vince
3. Flair
4. Hogan
5. Piper
6. HHH
7. Savage
8. Cena
9. UW
10. Foley

HM: Dibiase, Edge, Jericho, Rhodes, HBK, JBL, Roberts

Austin was overrated on the mic IMO. It was more his actions and demeanor that got him over with the crowd.

Reaction score
Shane Douglas
No. Not even. He was so terribly over rated because he said "fuck" and spent the rest of his career whining about how HBK and Co. and Ric Flair spent their spare times fucking over his career.

What the is this nonsense of Warrior being one of the greatest on the mic? Are you guys still six? He wasn't great on the mic. He was overly charismatic and his gimmick fit his nonsensical, inane ramblings. He never cut one good promo, it was a bunch of gobbledygook shouted with some snorts and muscle flexing. It worked for us when we were at the age where we spent Saturday mornings in front of the tube with cereal bowls. Anyone ever wonder why all his returns flopped? Because we were old enough to realize "What the fuck is this guy talking about?".

The top notch:
Austin, Rock, Dusty, Roberts, Bobby fuckin Heenan, Jesse Ventura, Roddy Piper, Flair, Hogan, Michael Hayes, Savage

Honorable mentions:
Rude, DiBiase, Tully fuckin Blanchard, Owen Hart, Trips, Hennig, Guerrero, Jericho, and so many more...Kane...

MrHAYZE

Reaction score
Jake Roberts for me and although I wouldn't call him the best I always felt Arn Anderson was highly underrated on the mic.

ScottHilton

Reaction score
Chris Jericho knows how to work the mic and has always known that. What separates him from a lot of wrestlers is that, in my opinion, he's smart, inventive, and original. Even in WCW, where he wasn't given a ton of direction at all, he shined on the mic.

Reaction score
What the is this nonsense of Warrior being one of the greatest on the mic? Are you guys still six? He wasn't great on the mic. He was overly charismatic and his gimmick fit his nonsensical, inane ramblings. He never cut one good promo, it was a bunch of gobbledygook shouted with some snorts and muscle flexing. It worked for us when we were at the age where we spent Saturday mornings in front of the tube with cereal bowls. Anyone ever wonder why all his returns flopped?"....
Wrestling aside (we know he was far from even decent in the ring, save a few matches), we know he wasn't the greatest.
But his insane screaming and intense promos were INTERESTING. Yeah he'd scream about galaxies and godly power, but it was always interesting to see how metaphorical he would get to describe things. He made things sound wayyy complicated, even though he admittedly wasn't always making sense. That character would never have worked if he was "vanilla" like 80% of the current roster is. He put 110% into his promos, and sometimes, that's enough to make something interesting.

-TJ-

Reaction score
No. Not even. He was so terribly over rated because he said "fuck" and spent the rest of his career whining about how HBK and Co. and Ric Flair spent their spare times fucking over his career.

What the is this nonsense of Warrior being one of the greatest on the mic? Are you guys still six? He wasn't great on the mic. He was overly charismatic and his gimmick fit his nonsensical, inane ramblings. He never cut one good promo, it was a bunch of gobbledygook shouted with some snorts and muscle flexing. It worked for us when we were at the age where we spent Saturday mornings in front of the tube with cereal bowls. Anyone ever wonder why all his returns flopped? Because we were old enough to realize "What the fuck is this guy talking about?".

The top notch:
Austin, Rock, Dusty, Roberts, Bobby fuckin Heenan, Jesse Ventura, Roddy Piper, Flair, Hogan, Michael Hayes, Savage

Honorable mentions:
Rude, DiBiase, Tully fuckin Blanchard, Owen Hart, Trips, Hennig, Guerrero, Jericho, and so many more...Kane...

Thoughts on Arn Anderson being in one of those lists? I thought he was so underrated for his promos where he would get so into it.

My favorite mic worker of all time was The Rock. He just always made me interested and I liked his promos.