Best defense in NFL history

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
For me it is usually between the 85 Bears and The 2000 Ravens but always have to pick the 2000 Ravens. Reason being because I've never seen a defense carry the whole team the way that defense did. The 85 Bears had a passable QB in McMahon and had one of the greatest running backs of all time in Walter Payton. The QB's the Ravens had were passable as well but while Jamal Lewis was good he by no means is a HOFer. Then look at the fact that the Ravens D that year only allowed 10 points per game and only gave up 60 yards rushing a game which is insane.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I don't even know, there has been so many great defenses over the last 25+years.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
2000 Ravens. Their offense didn't score a single touchdown through the whole month of October and they managed to win the Super Bowl. They gave up NOTHING. Made the #1 offense in the league look like straight punk bitches in the Super Bowl, too. No contest for me here, definitely the Ravens.

Killswitch

Reaction score
The Doomsday Defense is second only to the Steel Curtain. It is an insult to Tom Landry to even think about putting the Fearsome Foursome above them. Doomsday was the whole defense not just the front four.

I think the Gritz Blitz deserves an honorable mention at least.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
TO me it's also Buddy Ryan's Bears vs The Ravens. Steel Curtain and Dommsday for better for longer time periods but if we are talking one year I'd take the Bears.

MrMister

Reaction score
Interesting note: the 2000 Titans were just as good as the 2000 Ravens for the most part. No one remembers because Baltimore won the Super Bowl. Those teams had three wars that year and the Ravens took the playoff rubber match. Either team would've rolled the rest of the way and stomped the Giants.

It's hard to judge best D of all time, harder than offense I think. You have to factor in the era each D existed. The Steel Curtain is clearly the best over the span of 4 or more years, but they faced less complex offenses. The 85 Bears dominated like few others, in an era where the Niners were just taking flight. Both the Ravens and Bears benefited from playing in a shitty division. I always give the edge to the 85 Bears over every other D when looking at it for a single season.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I never forget that the Titans were amazing that year since they had a strong rivalry that year. Titans had a much better offense but Ravens had a much better defense. Either way the Giants were fucked.

MrMister

Reaction score
I meant that the Titans D was comparable to the Ravens D. Yeah there was no question they were better offensively. Titans actually gave up fewer total yards, and fewer passing yards than the Ravens. Run D, it definitely was all Ravens. That's probably a large reason the Ravens won 2 of 3, the Titans needed to run the ball to be effective.

edit: It was a crime the Rams lost to the Saints in the playoffs in 2000. It should've been Rams vs Ravens/Titans that year. Crazy offense vs incredible defense. Some things just aren't meant to be I guess.

Last edited: