Bearcat Wright, the first African American world champion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Is Ron Simmons the first African American world champion? Perhaps not. Stay tuned to learn more.

In the late 50’s, early 1960’s there were changes in wrestling and the structure of the NWA. Lou Thesz had long been the world champion, and wrestlers and promoters alike were growing tired of his monopoly over the world title. Many promoters broke off and started their own promotions, some with their own world title.

Pleas refer to a previous thread of mine for a brief history of this time period. Edouard Carpentier and his role in the split of the NWA

Worldwide Wrestling Associates later known as NWA Hollywood was one of these promotions with a recognized world title. Edouard Carpentier, was recognized as their first world champion in 1959. Carpentier later lost to territory ace, Freddie Blassie. With Blassie as champ the promotion rose to dizzying heights, drawing crowds in the 10,000’s to their big arena shows.

in 1963, Bearcat Wright enters the picture. Wright a star in the north east and Detroit, came down to Los Angeles. In front of 10,400 Wright defeated Freddie Blassie for the WWA championship, in turn becoming the first African American heavyweight champion.

Wright, who walked a path very few others in wrestling do and get away with (Mongolian Stomper being the other), decided he didn’t feel like dropping the title back to Blassie. It was decided Gene LeBell would be his opponent and beat him legit if Wright didn’t play along. Wright refused the match and was stripped of the title.
Despite this, Wright continued to be a huge star into the 1970’s.

Wright was a trailblazer for African American wrestlers in many way. Early in his career he refused to work segregated cards, instead insisting he work with the rest of the talent, regardless of race. Then later, became a role model to thousands by winning the world title.

thoughts, comments, additions?

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Don't think it qualifies as "World" but I didn't know anything about this so I appreciate the history :WOW

Reactions: Buttermaker

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Don't think it qualifies as "World" but I didn't know anything about this so I appreciate the history :WOW

At the time, it was essentially recognized as one of 4 world titles in wrestling.

NWA
NWA Omaha (AWA)
WWA
WWF

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think you got a fair argument but I don't care about the labels all that much. The real question is, are any of his matches on the Network? :garrett

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Be a smattering of them on the YouTube. Where the true world champions go.

:smiliethatgoeswithmypost

• Haha