Austin: "Mania was average until Taker/HHH"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Six-time WWE world champion Austin told SunSport: “‘I don’t watch all the WWE PPV events these days, but WrestleMania is always a must see.

"The Undertaker and Triple H match made it special. Going into it, I thought how will they better last year? How do you follow something like that?

“But they did. It was at about the 8-10 minute mark when I saw them dig beyond the solid work they had done and pull out all of the stops.

"Shawn Michaels was a real benefit there too. He was perfect in his referee role.

“I believe the match they had was off the charts. If it hadn’t been for it, the event would have failed. It was very average until then.”

Stone Cold added: “I felt bad for Daniel Bryan, as his match with Sheamus was so short and I really wanted him to get the chance to shine.

“He is a great kid and he can work, you just want to see him work and he didn’t get that chance there.

"I hope they use him better down the line as there aren’t a lot of guys that truly work like he does.

“Daniel does need some polishing on his promos, but then so do a lot of the guys there.

“There are a few prime spots for main eventers now and the WWE need to push some guys into them.

“They have Brock Lesnar back and he is a real monster, he also has his UFC success behind him too.

"He is right in at main event level. You have Cena there too and then they have very limited opponents. The job now is to move people to that position.”

Austin himself has been rumoured to return to the main event position for a one-off match, possibly against CM Punk at next year’s WrestleMania.
And although long-retired from in-ring action, Austin, 47, has hinted at returns in the past and enjoyed a playful war of words with Punk on Twitter.

He told us: “Maybe Punk’s not the guy to go against. He needs to pick up his intensity. We’ll have to see what I do, I’m happy now doing what I am.

“In a perfect world, where I could step back into the ring for one last match I would be willing to have that discussion with management.

“I do miss the business and working a live crowd, going out there and wrestling your hearts out.

"I’m still in contact with a few of the guys. I speak to Kevin Nash the most, Nash and I talk about once a week.

“I also keep in contact with Jericho, Punk and Cena, but not as often. I’m not a big phone or email guy and they are always on the road or doing their thing.”

Away from the ring, Austin is enjoying his new career as an action star with a string of movies under his belt.

His latest DVD/Blu-ray release is Recoil and sees him playing a man avenging the death of his wife and child. It’s a thirst for justice that the star sympathises with.

He said: “Recoil is certainly more violent and gritty than my previous movies. My character here is in a very dark place.

“I’m an eye for an eye kind of guy and I feel the justice system, at least here In the US, is too easy on guys who commit violent crimes.

“But I'm through with movies where my family die and I’m in a dark place.

“I want to move away from this type of role and get to exercise a personality.

"I’m working on a few things right now, so maybe you’ll see me doing comedy next — who knows?"

Completely agree with him. Good read.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I also agree. When you think about it, WM was just about OK until the End of an Era Match. Just... just awesome. Five star match for me.

The DB thing is a big point, as well. I was pretty sure it was going to be a great match and all, but... yeah. Good thing he's more over than Sheamus now. Take that, WWE.

I'd be interested in another Austin match if he's in condition to work. Probably against Punk, but if it's someone else and the build up is good I'm OK with it.

He also stated that the only true, true main eventers currently in WWE are Cena and Lesnar. And by main eventers he ment those guys who are stars to another level. I agree with the fact that we need more people on that position. Make someone go over Cena cleanly, WWE! It'll not hurt. Unless you want to stick only with Cena when Lesnar leaves, just like Rock (both may come back in the future, but they won't be fully active ever again) and have one "draw".

As far as his new movie and the style of movies he wants to work, I couldn't care less. I hardly ever watch movies and certainly don't watch his, so... I don't care. But it's good he likes his current work.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
He is right - the first hour or so of Wrestlemania 28 was awful. But I would have loved to hear his comments on the Rock/Cena match.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't jizz my pants for the Taker/HHH match.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Dolph'sZiggler said:
I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't jizz my pants for the Taker/HHH match.

Even if you didn't it was the best match on the show by a country fucking mile.

Tag-Team match was pretty awesome too

Rysenberg

Legend
Reaction score
Dolph'sZiggler said:

Add me in there as well. I respected it as a match and it was 4* I would say, but it didn't entertain me as much as Rock/Cena. The result was far too obvious for the HIAC.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
How long was that tag team match given? 8 minutes? I enjoyed that match more than HHH/Taker. As far as it being by far the best match on the main card.. I guess.. there wasn't even another decent match on the card besides Jericho/Punk, and that was a pretty big disappointment for most, but I'll take those few good sequences over the chair shot finisher fest. I understand people go gaga for the storytelling and psychology of the HHH/Taker match, but to me it was just a slow paced boring match with an obvious outcome. The HBK interactions were Blue, they didn't use the cell so the match stip. was pointless, and the only selling point was 'Will Taker lose?!?!' which I never thought he would. Not for a second.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
It was overrated for me in a way. It was great, but not "one of the greatest matches ever" great like a lot of people said it was.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Psychology can carry a match, and it definitely had that, it was better than their last encounter anyway. Sure it wasn't technically amazing, they're old we can expect that and of course it'll be overrated by WWE (like last years was), but I have to admit I marked the most during that match and was more excited during that than any other on the card. I think HBK played his role perfectly.