Are WWE in danager of repeating 1999?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yes I know that is the one of their most sucessful years in history, but that is not my point, my point is as a promotion you should always look forward not back.

To explain a bit more, Triple H is now back on TV taking the Vince McMahon role, and the signs are that he will be appearing on most raws and maybe even ppv's for the foreseable future. Add to this at Summerslam we saw Stephanie for the first time in awhile, and even though she played no part in the main event itself, she did appear in another segment with Punk the next night on raw, so it does seem that she is back for good, its just we don't know yet in what role. And then we have the shocking return of Kevin Nash who okay was in WCW in 99, but was still a part of that era, and is a long time pal of HHH.

To get to the point here:popcorn: One of my issues with HHH taking over from Vince is that I was afraid that he would overshadow the whole Punk/Cena deal, and that raw would once again become the Triple H show. Now we will have to wait and see on that, but now if you are going to bring back Stephanie and have her involved again, manybe with her husband or maybe in the Nash/Punk feud then again there is danager of the McMahons running the show and taking the spotlight of the real stars who are the ones paid to put bums in seats week in and week out, and who are actually in their prime and able to take bumps and wrestle most week. Then if you add Nash to it, and the possiblitie that him and HHH might start something up together, it is going to feel even more like the late 90's.

The point is the McMahon show worked well up to a point back in 98-00, and obveriously Vince was awesome in that role, but that time has been and gone. I had no problem with Vince appearing in the Punk/Cena segments because as chairman it made sense, but the owner should only be seen on camara now and then for a special angle. If HHH is going to become the new Vince and appear week in and week out, and we are going to get more power struggle stories like back in the late 90's then it is going to get borng fast, and for me won't be as good or effective in the past. We have had every possible version of the McMahon family soap opera, and I don't want to see it come back. WWE have lots of good young talent, and they are the ones who need the TV time and who should be the main focus, which is way as far as Nash goes, have him compete in a one off match, have him as someone's bodyguard or something like that, but beyord nothing more.

Thoughts?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
What I think it comes down to is WWE know that these people are big names and that they will get a big reaction. WWE are struggling for big names at the moment so filling some time with HHH and Stephanie will help fill the void. Nash to a lesser extent also fills that void as well and helps add a bit of star power. Plus it gives them the opportunity to help put over some of these upper midcarders to make them into maineventers.

It does resemble a bit of the late nineties but as you mentioned that was a hugely successful period for WWE. It wouldn't be a bad idea for them to take some previous ideas they had and to adapt them to use them now when their ratings aren't that strong. I don't mind having HHH and Steph back as management figureheads and Nash back for maybe one match would be okay. Just as long as they don't start taking over too much television time with them and as long as they are putting younger guys over that is a good thing.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But I think you will find WWF were so sucessful back then because of people like Austin, The Rock, Mankind, DX, apart from Vince who of course feuded with Stone Cold I don't think the McMahon's onscreen made that much difference. Thing is the McMahon saga may have worked so well back then because it was fresh, but don't forget even in recent years we have still seen them pop up on TV sometimes and be involved in these stories.

Don't mind HHH being back on TV, don't even mind him being the new owner figure, but he needs to take a back seat and only show his face when it counts.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The point you make is kind of what I was trying to make in support of this. Back then WWF had a ton of big names that could mainevent whereas now they have very few maineventers outside of Orton and Cena. Because of that bringing in people like HHH and Steph on television help boost the star power of the show. Until they make more big stars I like that they are bringing them back to television to add some more drawing power to the show.

sachin tendulkar

Reaction score
I see Nash as a one time deal tbh. The one thing you should have mentioned is the fact that CM Punk will probably be what Stone Cold was then and of course the Rock. HHH probably won't be involved much. Even now if you look at it he appears in only a couple of segments here and there which is perfect. Stephanie, I've yet to see that appearance but I do think ur worrying a bit too much. If anything, we'll probably have Rock put Cena over and Nash and then Triple H (I hope) do the same with CM Punk.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I know what you mean Troy, but it is my view that the fans don't really want to see the likes of Stephanie again, I don't see them making that much of a difference.

Thing with HHH is either he should return as a wrestler, or he should only appear as owner off and on, and when I mean off and on, that doesn't mean every week on raw. Time will tell, I am intrigued by what will happen I will admit that.