Are We Finishing the Story? The Cody/Rock/Roman Megathread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
It also helps that Cody is actually a good wrestler that people can get behind because he's had 6 years of traveling around and generally being a cool dude to everyone around him. Maybe that's why he's over, because even if he's a little "bland", he's a generally cool guy outside the ring and a damn fantastic worker.

He also worked a Hell in a Cell match with a fucking torn pec. Dude is tough as shit and people respect it.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
What's your opinion on roman? Do you think he is a top star? Where do you think he will rank once he retires?
I think Roman is a once in a lifetime, generational talent that was under-appreciated in his prime, but the problem with someone that’s under-appreciated is they can’t really be your Ace and his babyface run just wasn’t accepted.

I think Roman continues to have another couple more years will probably continue to be one of their best draws or maybe they might try another Babyface one but with him going presumably part time even as a babyface he’s long past his chance of being like the top babyface guy, unfortunately.

The interesting thing is, I was actually one of a few people that always liked Roman. I didn’t turn on him when he went Babyface. I always thought he was going to be one of the top stars in the shield even though I do personally like Seth Rollins more.

Now how he’s gonna be perceived all time after he’s done hard to say. 100% gonna be a top 10 I think probably maybe even the top five depending on how you personally calculate that. I mean just the fact that he did hold the belt for four years during Covid and kept the company afloat, probably going to go along way towards securing his legacy.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

BSE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Sports Team
nnLKsfY
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
A bland dweeb like cody has no right speaking on the attitude era

Anhwho, there will always be haters, but no matter how butthurt it might make you feel,

I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is the GOAT era of the entire history of pro wrestling
Ok yes it is… but it’s over and it’s never coming back.

Everything changes; sports are a great example. Football has virtually abandoned the bellcow RB and it’s easier to ever to pass the ball. The NBA has more 3 pointers and many of the best players are leaving their teams. CFB has NIL and the transfer portal. Music has shifted towards pop and hip hop. Cable is dying and streaming is taking its place.

The point is things change. You can either embrace the change and enjoy the new product or accept that it’s not for you and move on.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I think Roman is a once in a lifetime, generational talent that was under-appreciated in his prime, but the problem with someone that’s under-appreciated is they can’t really be your Ace and his babyface run just wasn’t accepted.

I think Roman continues to have another couple more years will probably continue to be one of their best draws or maybe they might try another Babyface one but with him going presumably part time even as a babyface he’s long past his chance of being like the top babyface guy, unfortunately.

The interesting thing is, I was actually one of a few people that always liked Roman. I didn’t turn on him when he went Babyface. I always thought he was going to be one of the top stars in the shield even though I do personally like Seth Rollins more.

Now how he’s gonna be perceived all time after he’s done hard to say. 100% gonna be a top 10 I think probably maybe even the top five depending on how you personally calculate that. I mean just the fact that he did hold the belt for four years during Covid and kept the company afloat, probably going to go along way towards securing his legacy.
Roman's entire babyface run is perhaps the single largest signifying example for why Vince McMahon should have fucking dropped dead long ago.

Bungled one of the most slam-dunk stars you possibly could have had and you gave him "sufferin' succotash". His run was fucking dead after that and it took *years* to ever recover. Doddering old rapist piece of shit.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The ironic thing here is, I don’t even think it was that promo that killed him because I think he was dead before that. The thing that you could actually parallel between what killed Roman reigns, and today is the fans refused Roman reigns, even though a year prior that they absolutely loved him is because they realized that he was going to be the WWE guy even though the fans wanted Daniel Bryan. So if WWE doesn’t learn from history, that mistake could be anybody they try to put over instead of Cody Rhodes.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Ok yes it is… but it’s over and it’s never coming back.

Everything changes; sports are a great example. Football has virtually abandoned the bellcow RB and it’s easier to ever to pass the ball. The NBA has more 3 pointers and many of the best players are leaving their teams. CFB has NIL and the transfer portal. Music has shifted towards pop and hip hop. Cable is dying and streaming is taking its place.

The point is things change. You can either embrace the change and enjoy the new product or accept that it’s not for you and move on.
I would say the main difference, though, between a legitimate sport, evolving its rules to be more in line with safety and stuff and pro wrestling is pro wrestling only evolves so much as to the taste of what they think their audience wants to see and most of the time entertainment is actually cyclical. Often you’ll see trends in music or television will come back after a couple decades, or with fashion, so theoretically, while the WWE itself will probably never go back to the attitude area, a wrestling promotion that isn’t WWE could theoretically book in that crash TV style sensationalized way. I would say the greatest example of this is look at XPW who came back a couple years ago and still thinks it’s 1995 ECW.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I’ll be honest, I always thought Lucha underground was like a pretty modern equivalent to the attitude era. The storylines and the characters and the way they edited things sometimes was very crash TV wacky.

Dustin001

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so I'm generally curious, not looking to start shit,
How will you guys react if roman does retain?

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I’ll just turn off the show and go to bed.

• Haha
Reactions: #Waddles

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
shocked face. Triple H I don't think is crazy enough to tempt fate.

If the Bloodline Saga was in the 3rd inning at Mania 39, it's probably at like the 6th now. But the story isn't about Romans single reign as champion. It's about the Bloodline, and now the story goes from Roman being dominant champ to Roman solidifying his residency at the Head of the Table. Therefore Cody winning now makes the most sense from a Bloodline story standpoint.

Also, it is very fair to argue that Cody is MORE over now than he was last year and if he won last year he wouldn't be as over.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I’ll think to myself boy that Dustin guy called it he sure is great

• Haha
Reactions: Roy Mustang and BSE

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Probably stop watching WWE. I’m not interested in a never-ending title reign.

I’m also not interested in a never-ending story. Triple H more or less promised when Cody lost last year that he would finish his story. I’m not coming back for part 3.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Also, it is very fair to argue that Cody is MORE over now than he was last year and if he won last year he wouldn't be as over.
If Cody wins this year, I’ll defend him losing last year and I have been since he beat Brock. I do think Cody is move over now than he was last year, but that won’t work twice.