Are We Finishing the Story? The Cody/Rock/Roman Megathread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dustin001

Banned
Reaction score
I was kind of with you until you said this.

I can guarantee you there’s no way in hell Twitter would’ve demanded that Val finishes his story and dislike a video of the rock for him.

Also, Val wishes he got Cody’s whoa pop.

If you go back and watch, val venus was getting insane pops, cody's pops don't even compare

Not trying to hate either, its just facts

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
A bland dweeb like cody has no speaking on the attitude era

Anhwho, there will always be haters, but no matter how butthurt it might make you feel,

I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is the GOAT era of the entire history of pro wrestling
You’re such an interesting fellow. See like half of what you say I wanna cosign and then the other half. I have to be like yo hold up. Now the last part I’m with you, brother. I don’t think I’ve ever been as thoroughly entertained by any generation, since the attitude era/the NWO era, because I was also a bigger WCW Mark, but that’s a different thing.

The constant diminishing of how over Cody Rhodes is though is just weird. As a person that was clearly into how over people were in the AE, it’s weird that you’re trying to pretend like Cody Rhodes isn’t one of the most over guys in wrestling since perhaps an attitude type of star. The fans are thoroughly behind that man.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
If you go back and watch, val venus was getting insane pops, cody's pops don't even compare

Not trying to hate either, its just facts
I think overemphasizing. I’d agree if you said midcard talents were more over in general back then and Russo specifically made it his mission to get everyone a storyline and to get over.

However, nah. I’ve seen 1999 a lot. Val got pops, but not as consistently as Rhodes and certainly not where it counts. Val couldn’t draw an arena he headlined or move merch like Cody does if his life depended on it.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Honestly if I right now, gun to head, had to pick my favorite era. Ruthless Aggression. That 2002 rewatch we started, and sadly had to stop, was amazing. I had so much fun watching those shows and hated when I had to miss the live chats. :lol

• Love
Reactions: #Waddles

Dustin001

Banned
Reaction score
You’re such an interesting fellow. See like half of what you say I wanna cosign and then the other half. I have to be like yo hold up. Now the last part I’m with you, brother. I don’t think I’ve ever been as thoroughly entertained by any generation, since the attitude era/the NWO era, because I was also a bigger WCW Mark, but that’s a different thing.

The constant diminishing of how over Cody Rhodes is though is just weird. As a person that was clearly into how over people were in the AE, it’s weird that you’re trying to pretend like Cody Rhodes isn’t one of the most over guys in wrestling since perhaps an attitude type of star. The fans are thoroughly behind that man.

I'll be honest I diminish it because I dont get the appeal

He screams natural heel, he comes across as a fake pandering politician struggling to hide his psychopathic side

I see nothing of any substance of why so many love him

He is boring asf I doze every time he cuts his boring ass promos

On top of all that he comes out every week in his snake oil salesman suit and tie

Like what am I missing? What is so great about him?

I legit want to know lol not looking to argue, I want to know why he is so popular

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hoss

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Honestly if I right now, gun to head, had to pick my favorite era. Ruthless Aggression. That 2002 rewatch we started, and sadly had to stop, was amazing. I had so much fun watching those shows and hated when I had to miss the live chats. :lol
I also love 2002-2004. That first part of the ruthless aggression era honestly doesn’t feel that much different from the end of the attitude era and I usually include it in my favorite era. I usually say 1998-2004.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Unless I’ve missed some really long promos, I don’t think anyone just talks for 20 minutes. Usually it’s a promo, then another guy comes out. Then they go back and forth and then the gm might make a match after a brawl breaks out and that the whole thing is 20 minutes.

And I don’t know, I think one promo a show that runs 10 minutes is good to builds a story. Shouldn’t be more than one per show or two at the most, but the second one should be capped at 10.
That's not a promo, that's an angle. There's a key difference, but yes, the promos go on for far too fucking long. You get a 5 minute entrance, 3 minutes of crowd noise, 8 minutes of talking. That totals up to 16 minutes dedicated to one guy.

Gimme the old WWF inset promos and backstage interviews where guys just cut loose and talk as much shit as fast as possible. I don't see Macho Man needing 16 minutes to cut an all time great promo when he can do it in 4. :draper2

I have very fundamental opinions on how wrestling should be booked tho and that's just me though lol

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I was kind of with you until you said this.

I can guarantee you there’s no way in hell Twitter would’ve demanded that Val finishes his story and dislike a video of the rock for him.

Also, Val wishes he got Cody’s whoa pop.
Val is also a human piece of shit so who cares if he was "over" or not.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
2002 is such an interesting year tbh. Smackdown fuckin blows in the first half of the year but is awesome in the 2nd half while RAW is really good early on and fucking shit TV in the back half.

Was a crazy year for sure.

Reactions: #Waddles

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
That's not a promo, that's an angle. There's a key difference, but yes, the promos go on for far too fucking long. You get a 5 minute entrance, 3 minutes of crowd noise, 8 minutes of talking. That totals up to 16 minutes dedicated to one guy.

Gimme the old WWF inset promos and backstage interviews where guys just cut loose and talk as much shit as fast as possible. I don't see Macho Man needing 16 minutes to cut an all time great promo when he can do it in 4. :draper2

I have very fundamental opinions on how wrestling should be booked tho and that's just me though lol
See now or we can start to agree on some stuff because to me what you described isn’t a 20 minute promo either because you said it was eight minutes of talking so to me that’s an eight minute promo so I agree that they can cut down a little bit on the entrance and crown noise and stuff but eight minutes is not too long for me.

Now I’ve said another post here that I only think one or two promos a show need to be in the ring like this and the rest can be done just like you’re describing in the back.

As for what I described being an angle short, but it starts out with one guy cutting a promo before it escalates into an angle and honestly I would assume most of the time that’s what it is. I don’t think it’s that often where someone just comes to the ring and just cuts a promo and then leaves.

But I would agree that 99% of the time if there isn’t gonna be anything other than the promo that can be done in the back.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
2002 is such an interesting year tbh. Smackdown fuckin blows in the first half of the year but is awesome in the 2nd half while RAW is really good early on and fucking shit TV in the back half.

Was a crazy year for sure.
I love 2002.

And I actually think the first SmackDown draft period was slightly better only because they more or less treated raw and SmackDown more equal at that point but then when they decided to move more of the stars over to raw near September, they kind of started treating smackdown as the b show again despite now being a brand split. Now don’t give me wrong. I love the smackdown six stuff too, though.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

I mean just look at the way the aftershow came together with Cody coming back out to help Jey fend off solo and Jimmy after he got cost earlier in the night by the same people they were attacking Jey at the end of the night. Absolutely perfect storytelling throughout that night.

Dustin001

Banned
Reaction score
IMG_20240209_204344.jpg

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I wouldn't of minded Punk winning Rumble facing Reigns. I mean there is a story there with Punk & Rock and having Rock come out and do what he did to Cody to Punk would have been payoff to that bigger story. I think Rollins & Cody def would of lessen the title win but Seth did bring up a point. The WHC was the title with Dusty heritage and those two could of had a great match.

I also could seen them doing rock/Punk n1

This is all in hindsight to Rock stuff.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I don't agree with this logic, some things in the past are just better, it's not simply the old man yelling at the clouds

I do think however its impossible to not be biased, I think its hard wired into human nature to be biased

Our experiences shape us and how we view things, I grew up with the attitude era, it came at the perfect time for me

So being someone that actually lived through it, I can say honestly and I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is a billion times better than the modern product we get today

I just got done watching some random raw on cockpea and its insane how over the mid card guys were

Fucking val venis was getting bigger pops that a guy like cody rhodes can only dream of

So as someone that enjoyed the raunchness and just batshit crazy crash tv from back then, I hate what modern pro wrestling has turned to

Its mostly just a bunch of work rate geeks who can perform the in ring gymnastics well, but have the personality of a paintbrush

I just don't get the appeal of the modern product, its a fucking chore to sit through the weekly shows, even aew and tna are boring asf to watch, so there truly is no alternative for lapsed ae fans

There is:

It's called the WWE network.

A bland dweeb like cody has no right speaking on the attitude era

Anhwho, there will always be haters, but no matter how butthurt it might make you feel,

I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is the GOAT era of the entire history of pro wrestling

Also these two side by side are really funny

Last edited: