Are We Finishing the Story? The Cody/Rock/Roman Megathread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
  • Haha
Reactions: Jacob Fox

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
See, it’s hard to have a hard line agree, or disagree on this, because, like even if I didn’t think Bayley was necessarily a strong promo, I wouldn’t say that she shouldn’t ever cut along promo if it’s needed for the storyline to advance.
Personally, I don't care how good the story is if you aint a good promo then you have to cut the promo time down and maximise the minutes. I don't care how great the whole Damage CTRL stuff is, that stuff needs to be kept short and sweet and then get creative with backstage videos etc

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Which is why I also believe Bayley/Iyo shouldn't main event Mania to a degree. Pretty much any other event I would be ok with but not Mania,

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Personally, I don't care how good the story is if you aint a good promo then you have to cut the promo time down and maximise the minutes. I don't care how great the whole Damage CTRL stuff is, that stuff needs to be kept short and sweet and then get creative with backstage videos etc
All I’m saying is it needs to be exactly however, long it needs to be to get everything that they need to get across across. Preferably obviously you would keep it like six minutes and I would just be Bayley talking anyway because again generally speaking you’d have Bayley cut a little bit of a promo and then damage control cut her off and then they would cut some of the promo.

And then obviously, yeah, you’d also have backstage segments, fulfilling, the rest of the storyline, and what not.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I personally think it’s just a decision that they have to make for themselves. If you can’t find something you enjoy, then you could walk away but I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing if they want to fight for what they want because enough people banning together and made their voice loud enough. Someone might eventually fill that void. That’s what capitalism does best. If there’s enough people squawking that they want an attitude era adjacent product may be eventually someone will fill that void void.

Shit, the ECW fans won’t let go of ECW keep squawking, and it seems like every year a new ECW style Promotion comes back. I mean look at XPW they randomly came back two years ago.
I think there's a difference in reflecting fondly on a bygone era, pining for a suitable replacement to fill the void... and refusing to let go of the past and constantly shitting on things that don't fit your preference. That's the main distinction I'd make.

I also think there are a lot of fans of the Attitude Era in particular who will never be into wrestling the way they were in the 90s regardless, who just shit on modern wrestling out of some "my generation was better" cornyness. I see it a lot with music too. Rap music, especially. People who basically only ever liked Eminem back when they were in high school who love to trash modern rappers any opportunity they get - even though if they were actually fans of rap and not washed up jabronies they'd discover that there are probably more talented rappers than ever out there right now, if they were willing to look and keep an open mind. But that's a whole side tangent:lol

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Which is why I also believe Bayley/Iyo shouldn't main event Mania to a degree. Pretty much any other event I would be ok with but not Mania,
I just don’t think anything right now, maybe it can change because it’s still time, has a good enough story to main event over the Royal Rumble winner. Now if they end up doing that tag match, yeah, that deserves it. I personally hope they don’t, because I wanna see Bayley get her flowers and her moment for all the work she’s done since honestly the pandemic. She(and Sasha) were MVPs of that era, literally one of the best acts, not just women but overall. All the stuff she did to put over Bianca, and others as well afterwards. I believe she deserves it as a thank you for her service.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I don't see why people need 20 minutes to do a promo either lol, I pine for the days of 5 minute promos from top stars who just get to the fuckin point and state what they want. :lol

Reactions: BSE and Roy Mustang

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The one area where I’ll find a little bit of common ground with you is I do think there’s two different types of people that miss the attitude era. I think there are fans that just wish there was a product that was more closely booked the way they used to be. And then I think there’s the fan that just won’t accept anything a modern company does because to them it’ll never be the rock it’ll never be Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Because I will say that I don’t think current day WWE and I’ve not watched much of it, but what I’ve been looking at since I’ve decided dip my toes back in, it’s honestly been pretty fire, and with the exception of maybe not doing storyline story lines, and not having bikini contests is that different.

They still have a larger focus on building the stories than they do one giving matches a lot of time. They still have a lot of their storylines building throughout the entire show just like a Vince Russo written show would have been.

I mean if you look at this past raw, the bloodline Cody Rhodes stuff started with the opening match built through that match had segments throughout the show and then ended with the final match right?

So if you can’t find enjoyment in that then you’re just not trying I mean as an attitude era fan obviously anybody today can WWE or not if it’s not their cuppa tea.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I don't see why people need 20 minutes to do a promo either lol, I pine for the days of 5 minute promos from top stars who just get to the fuckin point and state what they want. :lol
Unless I’ve missed some really long promos, I don’t think anyone just talks for 20 minutes. Usually it’s a promo, then another guy comes out. Then they go back and forth and then the gm might make a match after a brawl breaks out and that the whole thing is 20 minutes.

And I don’t know, I think one promo a show that runs 10 minutes is good to builds a story. Shouldn’t be more than one per show or two at the most, but the second one should be capped at 10.

Dustin001

Banned
Reaction score
I think there's a difference in reflecting fondly on a bygone era, pining for a suitable replacement to fill the void... and refusing to let go of the past and constantly shitting on things that don't fit your preference. That's the main distinction I'd make.

I also think there are a lot of fans of the Attitude Era in particular who will never be into wrestling the way they were in the 90s regardless, who just shit on modern wrestling out of some "my generation was better" cornyness. I see it a lot with music too. Rap music, especially. People who basically only ever liked Eminem back when they were in high school who love to trash modern rappers any opportunity they get - even though if they were actually fans of rap and not washed up jabronies they'd discover that there are probably more talented rappers than ever out there right now, if they were willing to look and keep an open mind. But that's a whole side tangent:lol

I don't agree with this logic, some things in the past are just better, it's not simply the old man yelling at the clouds

I do think however its impossible to not be biased, I think its hard wired into human nature to be biased

Our experiences shape us and how we view things, I grew up with the attitude era, it came at the perfect time for me

So being someone that actually lived through it, I can say honestly and I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is a billion times better than the modern product we get today

I just got done watching some random raw on cockpea and its insane how over the mid card guys were

Fucking val venis was getting bigger pops that a guy like cody rhodes can only dream of

So as someone that enjoyed the raunchness and just batshit crazy crash tv from back then, I hate what modern pro wrestling has turned to

Its mostly just a bunch of work rate geeks who can perform the in ring gymnastics well, but have the personality of a paintbrush

I just don't get the appeal of the modern product, its a fucking chore to sit through the weekly shows, even aew and tna are boring asf to watch, so there truly is no alternative for lapsed ae fans

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I don't agree with this logic, some things in the past are just better, it's not simply the old man yelling at the clouds

I do think however its impossible to not be biased, I think its hard wired into human nature to be biased

Our experiences shape us and how we view things, I grew up with the attitude era, it came at the perfect time for me

So being someone that actually lived through it, I can say honestly and I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is a billion times better than the modern product we get today

I just got done watching some random raw on cockpea and its insane how over the mid card guys were

Fucking val venis was getting bigger pops that a guy like cody rhodes can only dream of

So as someone that enjoyed the raunchness and just batshit crazy crash tv from back then, I hate what modern pro wrestling has turned to

Its mostly just a bunch of work rate geeks who can perform the in ring gymnastics well, but have the personality of a paintbrush

I just don't get the appeal of the modern product, its a fucking chore to sit through the weekly shows, even aew and tna are boring asf to watch, so there truly is no alternative for lapsed ae fans
Sorry to hear it brother

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I was kind of with you until you said this.

I can guarantee you there’s no way in hell Twitter would’ve demanded that Val finishes his story and dislike a video of the rock for him.

Also, Val wishes he got Cody’s whoa pop.

Dustin001

Banned
Reaction score
So I'll say this, if they wanted to do Rock vs Roman that would have been fine. The issue is how they did it:

• Have Rock win the rumble from idk 29. If he can't do 10 minutes at the end of a rumble, the Roman vs Rock match is going to be fucking wank so that should be a sign not to do it if he can't go more than 10 mins (cause I can assure you Rock vs Roman will be 25 mins plus even though it should be a sprint).
  • Or have someone not named Cody win the rumble so Cody doesn't have a locked in title shot. Then there is no kayfabe claim to Roman's title freeing up Rock vs Roman.
  • Or not have Cody win the rumble and basically call out Roman that night followed by randomly setting aside for a title match that no offense to Rollins, we have seen have seen several times.
The issue was how WWE got there. It was dumb and it made no sense. Also willing to bet any lapsed fans who tuned in would tune right back out after WM. Cody's comments in AEW in 2019 sums up a lot of my feelings to the majority of the AE:

I loved this promo at the time and your posts actually reminds me how much I've come to hate the majority of the AE due to people's obsession with trying to go back to the past. If you love the past so much, the network is available btw. You can relive it. The world moves forward. If I wanted to watch Rock wrestle, I'd watch him in his prime not getting gassed doing a couple of moves.

A bland dweeb like cody has no right speaking on the attitude era

Anhwho, there will always be haters, but no matter how butthurt it might make you feel,

I will die on the largest hill that the attitude era is the GOAT era of the entire history of pro wrestling

Last edited by a moderator: