Anderson Silva Came Close to Retirement Before UFC Run? Nogueira Says Yes

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
noguiera-1842web_large.jpg
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has a pretty stellar reputation in the MMA world so when he talks, people tend to listen. And he had something very interesting to say to Sherdog today about his training partner and long-time friend, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. It seems that back in the day, Anderson found himself in a bit of a quandary regarding his career and was considering retirement:

"Anderson was a little discouraged because of his feud with http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder.php?search=yes&association=Chute Boxe[Chute Boxe founder] Rudimar [Fedrigo]," Nogueira told Sherdog.com. "The doors of Pride [Fighting Championships] were closed to him, and he wanted to stop fighting."

Big Nog goes on to explain how he got to know Anderson over the course of their respective Pride careers:

"I’ve always been a fan of Anderson’s," he said. "Back when he was in Meca, I met his dad, and we talked. He always treated me very well. Nobody talked a lot in Japan, but I always had a good relationship with everyone. I always liked to talk with Anderson. He has always been very respectful because he’s a student of the martial arts."

After describing Anderson's eventual move to Brazilian Top Team, he comes back to the point where Anderson hit the crossroads:

"We arranged a fight for him in Bahia and asked if he was willing, and he accepted," Nogueira said. "He did the fight in Bahia and then got another in Korea. Then I arranged some fights in England through a contact of a friend of mine. That’s when it all came together."

Anderson actually did fight in Pride once more during this time, which was his famous flying scissor heel-hook loss to Ryo Chonan. But his eventual jump to the UFC after this stage in his career has obviously been very fruitful. And to think - how different would the MMA world look if Anderson had actually hung 'em up way back then?