ANALYSIS: Jones vs Cormier Breakdown.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Ever since it's been announced as the main event at UFC 178; I've heard everybody clamoring about how close of a fight it's gonna be, DC may have a chance, DC has better wrestling blah blah blah. So I decided to write this analysis to put an end to this doubt in all minds.

Truth is - it's not a close fight. Cormier doesn't possess the skill set nor the attributes to really be any problem that Jones hasn't already handled inside the octagon. If anybody's who's actually had some time doing any form of striking knows - Jones is a wrestling turned striker, and we've really yet to see Cormier deal with anybody whose striking is as diversified or accurate as Jones.

Join me while I take an in depth look at why Jones will smash DC at UFC 178.

SPEED - Jones' long limbed frame lets him reach 205 pounds at a rather slimmed down frame, so much that fans have gone on to call him "chicken legs". But the lack of size allows Jones to be more dynamic with his striking and avoid any wrestling that DC has to offer. Sure DC may be a better wrestler, but he's gotta be quick enough to get to Jones in the first place, and bringing my next point into question will also prove to be a challenge to Cormier as well.

SIZE - Bones has a whopping reach of 84.5 inches, giving him a 12 inch reach advantage in this fight on top of a 5 inch height advantage. This size advantage will allow him to utilize his ridiculous jab and fight changing oblique kicks with ease and giving Cormier a hard time to take Jones down. Even though Cormier does have the edge in wrestling, his lack of speed and size is not a good combination to give Jones much of a challenge in that department. He needs to be quick enough to get down to Jones' legs and he needs to get inside the amazing wingspan of Jones in order to do so. Considering Rashad Evans (who is about the same height as Cormier and ironically shares a very similar style) couldn't utilize this, I definitely don't see DC (who's much slower) being able to pull this off.

TECHNIQUE - The final thing on this list is something that I don't believe Jones gets credited enough for is his flawless technique in striking, in which his size and speed advantage will neutralize any threat that Cormier's wrestling poses. Sure he has yet to finish an opponent on the feet (and to be perfectly fair, I don't see that happening either), but he absolutely dominates opponents with artistry on the feet with a wide variety of kicks, punches, spinning elbows, and much more unforgettable techniques.

The three lead to a stylistic nightmare for Cormier who is completely over his head. But, keeping that in mind this is MMA, and I certainly do believe in any fight anybody has a chance. So let's take a look at how Cormier could pull off the upset of the year if he's able to do so.

DC's KEYS TO VICTORY
Utilize Angles and Counter Punching
- If DC fights Jones head on, obviously he's in trouble with that absolutely fair reach that he poses. However, one physical trait that Cormier does have in this fight is his strength advantage, and it doesn't matter if you're Jon Jones or Anderson Silva - one clean shot will make you go down. If uses head movement to circle away from Jones' overwhelming jab, he could utilize a huge overhand right that could cause problems on the feet for the champion.

Look for Single Leg Takedowns - Like stated, DC would be committing title fight suicide if he attempts to fight the champion head on with that reach, so attempting a double leg would do him no justice what so ever. Instead, Cormier will have to shoot from the side and attempt to take him down with single leg takedowns but he'll need to be quick in order to do so before Jones can get back in time to keep Cormier at bay with it.

Ground and Pound - We obviously have yet to see what offense Jones can offer from his back, as the only person who ever took Jones down (Alexander Gustafsson) didn't keep him down long enough to do a significant number on him. However, Cormier is a much better wrestler than Gustafsson and should he get Jones down, he may be able to keep him down long enough to tender the champion with ground and pound in hopes to end the fight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly Cormier does have a chance, but will it happen? It can, but I don't think so.

[MENTION=154]Swinny[/MENTION], I hope you read this very carefully.