American Wrestling Association: Under New Ownership

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Holy shit what a roster :WOW you might resurrect the AWA after all

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Steve Regal gonna have to go.

Why is Mike Enos pushed so much higher than Wayne Bloom? :lol

Great roster, but despite the backstory and everything, I'm always a proponent of being more judicious with who you sign in historical bookers. You've gone from having a frail roster to one that is set for the next decade+ in one fell swoop. I don't love that but I can live with it.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Great roster, but despite the backstory and everything, I'm always a proponent of being more judicious with who you sign in historical bookers. You've gone from having a frail roster to one that is set for the next decade+ in one fell swoop. I don't love that but I can live with it.

A lot is gonna change as the years go on, I'm still gonna base it on somewhat historical events:

Spoiler Alert: Eric Bischoff is gonna play a big role in driving events forward.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

But in real life AWA wasn't also bought out and had money to spend :draper2 you gotta be more mindful of the butterfly effect lol your way results in entertaining reads as well though so keep doing what you're doing, I enjoy reading it I just don't think I'd enjoy playing that way as much as you :lmao

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I'm not going to like avoid reading this or anything, I'm sure I'll dig it. :lol It's just one of those things. Personal preference on my behalf, I guess. Like, you could have at least signed one up and comer who would fizzle out by the mid 90s. :lol

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
He's got Brad Rheigans

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Rheingans trained Vader, Lesnar and JBL. I'll ask that you don't try and besmirch his good name.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Rheingans trained Vader, Lesnar and JBL. I'll ask that you don't try and besmirch his good name.

I got Gary Albright. :side:

Reactions: Hoss and Chris

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Well I hope he outshines all the other young talents.

If he can stop getting sent home for being pilled up to shit like he has done in the last four test runs.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
AWA Championship Wrestling.jpg

AWA Championship Wrestling
Monday, Week 1, January 1991
Riverside Arena, Austin, Minnesota
Attendance: 2,500 (Sold Out!)

Theme of AWA Championship Wrestling
"The Trooper" by Iron Maiden

Opening Segment

Tony Schiavone 1.jpg
Eric Bischoff 1.jpg
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, and Jesse "The Body" Ventura can be heard welcoming everyone to the rebirth of the American Wrestling Association, and the rebirth of AWA Championship Wrestling on KSLM-TV. The three of them hype up the show and tells the audience at home that they'll see a tag team match between two debuting teams, The Malenko Brothers and Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon; another match they'll get to see is the AWA Light Heavyweight Championship going up for grabs when "Rock & Roll" Buck Zumhofe goes up against his perennial light heavyweight rival, Steve Regal. More excitement to follow as well, when Johnny Cash hits the PA.

Bill Watts WCW.jpg

"Cowboy" Bill Watts comes out to the cheer of the crowd, and climbs into the ring. He welcomes each and every one to AWA Championship Wrestling. He says it's an honor to be here; he explains that he has been hired by the AWA to serve as President of the company and head of the Championship committee, giving him incredible power. He's interrupted by the blaring sounds of Guns 'N' Roses...

Larry Zbyszko 1.jpg

Out comes Larry Zbyzsko, carrying the AWA World Heavyweight Championship around his waist, wearing a nice looking suit, climbing into the ring and proceeds to look at his watch, signalling that it's Watts' time to shut up. Larry Z takes the mic and talks about how nobody cares about what Watts has to say, the people came to see the AWA World Heavyweight Champion, "Me." Larry Z tells Watts that it doesn't matter if he's the President of the AWA, the Championship Committee, 3M, 4M, or MC Hammer. As long as Watts knows who the champion is, there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Watts stops Zbyszko in his tracks and tells him he's gonna have to pay a little more respects to him, because while Larry pulled a lot of crap while Verne Gagne was in charge, Watts is not afraid to fine, suspend, or worse, strip Larry Zbyszko of his belt should he become too much of a nuisance. Larry is taken aback and says Bill Watts is just like Verne Gagne, jealous of the Living Legend.

Before Watts or Larry can get a word in edgewise, Mussorgsky begins to play.

Jerry Lawler.jpg

THE KING HAS RETURNED, shouts Eric Bischoff. The AWA hasn't seen Jerry "The King" Lawler since shortly after SuperClash III. Lawler has on a magnificent crown and cape, and walks to the ring to a raucous ovation. He climbs into the ring and looks at Larry Zbyszko, then at Bill Watts, and shakes Bill Watts' hand. Larry Z interrogates Lawler on why he's interfering in The Living Legend's business. In a word, Lawler tells Larry to, "Shut your goofy, mophead, mouth, and I'll tell you why." Lawler explains that he's been gone for a long time in the AWA, and not because he hated it, but because Verne didn't do right by Jerry. But 4M has given Lawler the respect deserved of a king, and now Lawler is back in the AWA for one reason, and one reason only...

Jerry Lawler wants what is "rightfully" his: The AWA World Heavyweight Championship. Lawler never lost the championship and therefore still has just cause to challenge for it. Larry Zbyszko expostulates the idea of Lawler waltzing in here demanding a title shot on nothing. Watts sees the arguments for both sides and decides that Lawler will have to earn his title shot if he can defeat another contender in three weeks' time: "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff. Larry is confident that Orndorff will defeat Lawler.

Rating: 64

Dean Malenko 1.jpg
Joe Malenko.jpg
w/
Boris Malenko 2.jpg
vs.
Doug Furnas 91.jpg
Phil Lafon 91.jpg

The Malenko Brothers (Dean & Joe) w/ Boris Malenko vs. Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon

In the opening matchup, we saw the Malenko Brothers defeat the team of Furnas & LaFon in 10:12. During the match, Eric Bischoff explains that the two teams have a lot of history over in Japan with the All-Japan Pro Wrestling company. Boris Malenko serves as the two Malenko boys' advisor, since he's their dad, and a former AWA World Tag Team Champion himself. The crowd wasn't sure how to make of the match, but they liked some of what they saw.

Rating: 49

Razor Ramon 0.jpg

We cut to a video package of the debuting Razor Ramon (who does not look like former AWA Tag Team Champion Scott Hall, don't be silly). Razor sits in a fine red 1985 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. Razor talks in a Cuban accent and tells everyone that they're looking at the next best thing, chicos. Razor Ramon is coming the AWA to show the ladies what machismo really looks like, and he's gonna carve up anyone that gets in his way. He hints that he has connections in the mob and other various dark organizations. Razor Ramon will be coming at AWA Rebirth.

Rating: 55

Cactus Jack 91.jpg
Ken Resnick.jpg

Ken Resnick interviews Cactus Jack and asks him about his coming to the AWA. Jack says he's had a good long talk with then folks down in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, and they said, "'Cactus Jack, don't go, everyone up there is mad as a hatter.' Well if that isn't enough incentive for me to come up here and feel at home, then I dunno what is!" Jack says he's gonna take on anyone who comes his way and he's gonna do what Cactus Jack does best, beat the tar out of them and then some. He's not afraid to hurt himself, so what makes people think he's afraid to hurt others?

Rating: 36

awalight.jpg

AWA Light Heavyweight Championship

Steve Regal.jpg
vs.
Buck Zumhofe.jpg

Steve Regal vs. "Rock & Roll" Buck Zumhofe (c)

In an extremely short, but terrible match, Regal pinned Zumhofe to win the AWA Light Heavyweight Championship in 3:31.

Rating: 42

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
Bobby Eaton 4.jpg
Stan Lane 1.jpg

Nick Bockwinkel stands in the interview area with Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express. Bockwinkel lists off the accomplishments of the Midnight Express over the years but says one thing has eluded them thus far, and that's the AWA Tag Team Championships.

Jim Cornette says that that's right, but that's only because the Midnight Express have never wrestled inside the American Wrestling Association, but now that they're here, they're intent on being the cream of the crop, the best of the best, the top of the pile here in the AWA. To do so, they have to beat the team of DJ Peterson and The Trooper, the current AWA Tag Team Champions. He tells it point blank that Peterson and the Trooper are good, but they aren't the best tag team in the AWA, because the Midnight Express has fought tougher cats than them and are still walking God's green earth. The Midnight Express is going to be the AWA Tag Team Champions, and we'll just show you why tonight.

Rating: 57

Bobby Eaton 4.jpg
Stan Lane 1.jpg
w/
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
vs.
brian walsh.jpg
Joe Gomez.jpg

The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette vs. Job Team (Brian Walsh & Joe Gomez)

In a somewhat short match, the Midnight Express decimated a job team of local talents Brian Walsh and Joe Gomez in 3:41. During the match, Jesse Ventura hypes up the Midnight Express as the greatest tag team of all time and that they're his favorites, while Tony Schiavone admits they're a damn good team, he just wishes they didn't have to use dirty tactics. Ventura tells Schiavone, "If you're not cheating, you're not trying, Tony. Remember that!"

Rating: 51

Larry Nelson.jpg
Ricky Steamboat 92.jpg

Larry Nelson stands in the interview area and out comes Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat to a massive crowd reaction. Nelson says that Ricky Steamboat is perhaps the most high-profile free agent signing the AWA has managed to get here, and Steamboat says he's excited to be here. Steamboat says that he was a champion in WCW, he was a champion in the WWF, and he intends to be a champion everyone can be proud of in the AWA.

Rating: 70

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Larry Zbyszko 1.jpg

Following the Commercial Break, we see Nick Bockwinkel in the interview area with the AWA World Heavyweight Champion: Larry Zbyszko. Bockwinkel and Zbyszko commiserate on each other's outfits before Nick gets into the heavy questions. He asks Larry his thoughts on Watts contender match in three weeks between Lawler and Paul Orndorff.

Zbyszko says he doesn't have a whole lot of bad to say about Orndorff, a damn good wrestler, but he's got a lot to say about Lawler. He asks Bockwinkel where this supposed king has the gall to demand anything when he was the one who walked out of this company while Larry Zbyszko was here from day one. He tells Lawler that he's deserving of absolutely nothing and that he had his shot with the AWA World Championship years ago and he blew it. The Living Legend is the gold-standard for the AWA and if he really ends up having to go up against Jerry Lawler, the king is going to be crowned, but not the way he wants.

Rating: 69

Tully Blanchard.jpg
w/
Woman.jpg
vs.
Savio Vega 4.jpg

Tully Blanchard w/ Woman vs. Savio Vega

In a decent match, Tully Blanchard defeated Savio Vega thanks to the help of Woman in 7:50. Ventura talks about the talent of Blanchard as well as the managerial smarts of Woman. Schiavone expresses his doubts, saying Woman's a cheater. The show finishes with Blanchard standing tall and making a name for himself as a potential contender for the AWA World Heavyweight Championship down the line.

Rating: 50

Show Rating: 59
TV Ratings: 0.33 (253,770 Viewers)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoss and Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Well at least Steamboat is over :heston good start though, obviously you're prepared to have to build them up so i know the rating doesn't really get you down. Its an improvement compared to your popularity at least I'd be willing to bet

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Well at least Steamboat is over :heston good start though, obviously you're prepared to have to build them up so i know the rating doesn't really get you down. Its an improvement compared to your popularity at least I'd be willing to bet

Raised our popularity in about 20 regions so :mark:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Sunday, Week 1, January 1991

NJPW 3.jpg
AWA.jpg
AJPW.jpg

New Japan, All Japan, and American Wrestling Association
Enter Working Agreement

The American Wrestling Association has reportedly entered working agreements with Japan's two biggest wrestling promotions, New Japan Pro Wrestling and All-Japan Pro Wrestling. The supposed agreement between the three has been dubbed by insiders in the business as the "International Alliance of Wrestling". While not an actual alliance, since New Japan and All Japan have a non-aggression pact at the moment, the AWA appears to be the biggest winner in this, as now they can borrow talent from Japan to bring over and showcase in America.