Am I The Only One Left?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Beer

Reaction score
I just can't get my head around how someone can believe it. I LIKE the idea for believing for hope, inspiration and guidance, but I get the feeling that many christians don't believe for that reason. They believe because that's just what they believe and were brought up to believe.

Why do you believe?

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
the cool thing to do is what everyone else isn't doing. Once again we'll see christians. Especially with society in a steady decline. Simple as that, don't think you're cool and over thunk it. To believe in religion is like beliving in Santa Claus, you gotta have a reason too, to have hope. No reason to believe in Santa if you have everything you want.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I'm a stern existentialist. So...no genuine convos about God from me.

Kizza

Reaction score
I'm a factual person. I prefer to see what is in front of me, rather than what is supposedly above and below me. I loom at my Grandmother, who is heavily religious, believes in the afterlife, etc etc and I personally see her as incredibly foolish, ignorant and short sighted. This woman refuses to accept what is happening in the world around her, and lives in her own little bubble.

I've been baptized, confirmed and everything like that, been going to a Catholic school for 13 years. I believe the problem is that there is barely any good news going on in the world. Everytime you turn on the news, someone's killed, natural disaster, hundreds killed, and you have to ask yourself, why does God do that to the very people he created?

It's gotten to the stage with me where I just don't believe that there is a higher spirit, or an afterlife. I've always wondered about how, what, why and that, most people do. It just doesn't bother me. I'll just come in, take my 80 or so years and then die. That's basically how I see it.

Mike Chaos

Reaction score
There is also a documentary solely made to counter Zeitgeist point for point about their claims against Jesus. But I wouldn't expect any atheist to be interested in looking it up, since it's a documentary defending religion and that simply can't be allowed in "intelligent religious debate".

Like I said, I've done my own research, I've found my own evidence, and to me, the possibility for God is far greater than the possibility of nothing. Therefore I've made my choice, and I have to live with the depression of knowing that I'm alone in that choice.

Like I said I wasn't using Zietgiest as like the be all end all information, just saying the religion part fascinated me. I think we talked about this on MSN before months ago.

Plus I don't really classify myself as Atheist or Agnostic or whatever. I don't really believe in the garbage religions that are out there right now. Fucking Catholic priests molesting children, Muslim extremists killing in the name of Allah. All of it is garbage. If there is a God I doubt he/she/it would be in favor of molesting young children or killing people. I believe in myself basically, I am my own God. God is in me and tells me what is right or wrong (my common sense). I know that my actions have consequences and that there is no rewind or undo button in life and to choose wisely. If I want to have promiscuous sex or build a tent out of cow skin I will do so without caution of being sent to hell when I die. Or if I want to cheat on my wife (considering marriage is a man made commitment) then I can do so without fear of when I die I am going to hell. Not that I support cheating or anything I am just saying I want to live my life without fear of some God waiting for me at the gates of heaven with a checklist of everything I have done wrong.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I just can't get my head around how someone can believe it. I LIKE the idea for believing for hope, inspiration and guidance, but I get the feeling that many christians don't believe for that reason. They believe because that's just what they believe and were brought up to believe.

Why do you believe?

I will answer your question when I have time.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Now, as to why I believe. It's the reason that I cannot simply turn off and on my beliefs, even if I wanted to. As yes, I have done my own research and concluded that the existence of God far outweighs the possibilities that we came from nothing, there is no denying that for me. But what made me really want to do that research in the first place was an event that took place in my junior year of high school.

To make a long story short, I lost the will to keep on living. I got sick of humanity, all the pretentious douchebags, the bullies, the unrealistic expectations and pressure that came from trying to ask girls out to dates, sinking grades, the feeling of hopelessness about my future and how I wouldn't graduate high school and go on to be a homeless man on the streets, no family or friends to support me or to air my frustrations out with because they were all too self absorbed into their own little drama worlds. That whole spiel. Like I said, it's a much longer story when written in detail.

But basically, I was done. For the longest time I had been fighting my emotions, ignoring my anger and sadness because I felt the need to be happy for everyone else around me so that their lives weren't so horrible. But that caused me to neglect my own feelings, and it all bottled up until it exploded in a flood of negativity. I even tried writing my thoughts down on paper to clear my head and all that came out were things like "die, die, death, fuck it all, die, kill, nobody loves you, die, die" ect. ect. ect. And I decided that if I were going to end it all, I was going to take a few people down with me who had helped make my life so miserable.

But on the morning that I had planned on doing so, I don't know what happened exactly. I wasn't thinking straight, as by then my entire world was nothing but negativity. But something happened, something burst through all that negativity and commanded me to stop. Most atheists just say I was too good of a person and my conscious finally came through for me and told me to turn myself in. But it didn't feel like that. It felt like I was actually joined by someone, or something. A presence I couldn't see, but I could hear. It told me what was the right thing to do, and I ended up talking to my counselor and they arranged to take me to a mental hospital up in Sacramento.

After some periods of recovery, the doctors there told me that I was experiencing a bout of schizophrenia. That it was just Good James Vs. Bad James and good James came through in the end. And with some therapy and recovery, I was to bring both James' back together and I'd be normal again.

So I didn't think much of it then, I just followed doctors orders. I eventually got better, and I decided to start looking up information about God and things because another thing the doctors wanted me to do is find a reason worth living for. I was skeptical through reading the Bible itself, as it just seemed too demanding, unrealistic and cruel to non believers. But I continued to do some research, I read some books from atheists and theists alike, and the theists were able to construct dozens of arguments in support for God. Most particularly, the works by Lee Strobel in "The Case For Christ" "The Case For Faith" and "The Case For A Creator" really hit home alot of my concerns about the belief in God.

Especially "The Case For Faith" which answers alot of atheists questions regarding "If there is a God why is there so much bad in the world?" "Why do bad things happen to good people and bad guys get away scot free?" and things like that. And it didn't answer the questions with bullshit ideology and vanilla scriptures that just point you back to the Bible. It actually gave me the answers I was looking for. And I was convinced that without a shadow of a doubt, God exists, and although I can never be sure, I believe it was God who helped me fight out of the darkness and prevented me from doing something I would of regretted my entire life.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Not to offend anyone, these are just my thoughts on the subject.

If people believe in God, they might as well believe in the easter bunny, Santa and the tooth fairy.

Did a guy named Jesus actually exist? I wouldn't push that aside but I'm pretty sure he didn't have X-Men powers and was just some dude who lived a long time ago.

The fact that the easter bunny is ridiculous to some people yet a guy who walks on water is so believable astounds me.

I've felt negative before. Everyone does at some point because life isn't perfect. I think that everyone has a good and bad side to them and sometimes one side is more dominant than the other side. I don't think that is the work of God trying to push the good part of you, but rather you making it happen yourself. Your mind just says 'fuck this way of thinking/acting' and your good side comes through.

I can't bring myself to think an invisible guy is real, I just can't. I've lived most of my life just fine without believing in a guy in the sky. I just think that people who believe in God need something in their lives to keep them going and make them feel like they have a reason to be on this earth. If my reason is to just live and die, I don't really care, that's fine by me. I enjoy life and don't take it for granted because you never know when it's going to end but I don't need to believe in God and feel that I have a purpose other than to just be a person living on this earth for whatever amount of years. I'd rather go have fun with friends and family than give a damn about why I am here and what I am meant to do.

Beer

Reaction score
Now, as to why I believe. It's the reason that I cannot simply turn off and on my beliefs, even if I wanted to. As yes, I have done my own research and concluded that the existence of God far outweighs the possibilities that we came from nothing, there is no denying that for me. But what made me really want to do that research in the first place was an event that took place in my junior year of high school.

k.

To make a long story short, I lost the will to keep on living. I got sick of humanity, all the pretentious douchebags, the bullies, the unrealistic expectations and pressure that came from trying to ask girls out to dates, sinking grades, the feeling of hopelessness about my future and how I wouldn't graduate high school and go on to be a homeless man on the streets, no family or friends to support me or to air my frustrations out with because they were all too self absorbed into their own little drama worlds. That whole spiel. Like I said, it's a much longer story when written in detail.

Everyone goes through these patches of turmoil, it looks like your patch was seriously fucking bad. And weather you see it like this or not, I see it as you rose above all those fucking idiots that seem to crawling at you from all directions, everywhere, and actually rising above it was a really bad thing. I went through this twice. Once in my youth, where I eventually turned to my eldest brother, who helped me a lot. Then again later in life, where I seriously doubted my abilities to bring a kid up in the world.

And I don't mean to rubbish the severity of YOUR issues, or try and suggest I know what the situation was really like, but I like to live my life thinking there will always be some person there when I'm feeling like a sack a shit. Teacher, friend, neighbour, even my pet for a while (to air frustrations not too discuss ;)) but at the end of the day, I think you'd be surprised at how many people do know what's going on and have felt it too. As much as it seems there are no good guys out there, there are. You just have to sift through a fuckload of douche bags first.

But basically, I was done. For the longest time I had been fighting my emotions, ignoring my anger and sadness because I felt the need to be happy for everyone else around me so that their lives weren't so horrible. But that caused me to neglect my own feelings, and it all bottled up until it exploded in a flood of negativity. I even tried writing my thoughts down on paper to clear my head and all that came out were things like "die, die, death, fuck it all, die, kill, nobody loves you, die, die" ect. ect. ect. And I decided that if I were going to end it all, I was going to take a few people down with me who had helped make my life so miserable.

k.

But on the morning that I had planned on doing so, I don't know what happened exactly. I wasn't thinking straight, as by then my entire world was nothing but negativity. But something happened, something burst through all that negativity and commanded me to stop. Most atheists just say I was too good of a person and my conscious finally came through for me and told me to turn myself in. But it didn't feel like that. It felt like I was actually joined by someone, or something. A presence I couldn't see, but I could hear. It told me what was the right thing to do, and I ended up talking to my counselor and they arranged to take me to a mental hospital up in Sacramento.

The funny thing is, I WOULD say you're too good of a person. You reminded me so much of myself when I first started socializing on this place with you (though I don't show it to very many people). But yeah, maybe I've just never had this extraordinary feeling, like there IS someone there for help you just can't see them. And I'm glad in this case. If religion helps you, fucking go ahead. If it stops good people like you suffering then seriously, you pray.

There are lots of ways of getting through things, and if religion works for you, that's what you should do. Personally, I don't believe it, but imo, this discussion has moved away from that now..

After some periods of recovery, the doctors there told me that I was experiencing a bout of schizophrenia. That it was just Good James Vs. Bad James and good James came through in the end. And with some therapy and recovery, I was to bring both James' back together and I'd be normal again.

So I didn't think much of it then, I just followed doctors orders. I eventually got better, and I decided to start looking up information about God and things because another thing the doctors wanted me to do is find a reason worth living for. I was skeptical through reading the Bible itself, as it just seemed too demanding, unrealistic and cruel to non believers. But I continued to do some research, I read some books from atheists and theists alike, and the theists were able to construct dozens of arguments in support for God. Most particularly, the works by Lee Strobel in "The Case For Christ" "The Case For Faith" and "The Case For A Creator" really hit home alot of my concerns about the belief in God.

Especially "The Case For Faith" which answers alot of atheists questions regarding "If there is a God why is there so much bad in the world?" "Why do bad things happen to good people and bad guys get away scot free?" and things like that. And it didn't answer the questions with bullshit ideology and vanilla scriptures that just point you back to the Bible. It actually gave me the answers I was looking for. And I was convinced that without a shadow of a doubt, God exists, and although I can never be sure, I believe it was God who helped me fight out of the darkness and prevented me from doing something I would of regretted my entire life.

I actually like what's going on with your beliefs. You believe because 1) you actually think/know you had a religious revelation, 2) you use it to stop yourself getting depressed, suicidal and negative and 3) I think in your case, it gives something, anything to warrant you life worth living.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Thanks to LadyHotrod for the respectful differing opinion and thanks to Beer for seeing where I'm coming from, even if you disagree. I can appreciate that more than just calling me dumb for believing.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I think I need some ointment for that

WICKED BUUUUURRRRNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kizza

Reaction score
I'll notify the ward, but during the time, quickly get some water for the BBUUURRNNNNNN~!

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Thanks to LadyHotrod for the respectful differing opinion and thanks to Beer for seeing where I'm coming from, even if you disagree. I can appreciate that more than just calling me dumb for believing.

I honestly fucking hate people who think someone is an idiot for beliving in God. I sometimes throw in some jokes (like lol God or whatever) but my family is full of athiests, catholics, christians and buddhists so I get the chance to listen to all of them and their views on the subject. It's an interesting subject to discuss, if people have the maturity to do it right and not break out in arguments. I respect people's beliefs and hope they respect mine. No one knows the real answer but we'll all find out when we die.

I see religious talk as a great exchange of ideas so everyone learns why people believe what they believe but other people are fucking douchebags and see it as a chance to put someone down.