Alright, so?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
I just saw the Big Bang Promo Monty has in his sig', and damn did that spark some interest into this promotion.

Is ROH always that good, or is it just an abnormally good buildup for a ppv?

What show's do you guys recommend for me to really get a feel of ROH?

I'm trying to get into it, but don't really know where to start lol.

Montana

Reaction score
ROH is kinda in a transformation period right now from going from a DVD based promotion to a TV/PPV promotion. The Big Bang was only the second live PPV. Both Live PPV's were very good. Pretty much all the taped PPV's from 2007,2008 were good. ROH is built up into chapters, and it's almost impossible to catch up on the old shows. Basically it comes down to who you like to see wrestle. I'd suggest starting in 2006 as it had a great mix of ROH, TNA, CZW, and Japanese talent on the roster. But heres my rundown on the years.

2002- Guys like Low Ki, AJ Styles, Bryan Danielson, London, Kendrick and Christopher Daniels carried the company. The shows were pretty bad, but a few GREAT matches mixed in here.

2003 - Guys like Samoa Joe, and CM Punk start to merge as stars, as the previous wrestlers from 2002 start to fade.

Check out: Main Event Spectacles

2004 - Another Samoa Joe year, fueds with Homicide, and i belive the Briscoes were big this year as well. Shows from 2003-2004 were pretty good, but i mostly pick up these shows to see a young Joe/Punk, and a few other legends. Features the Joe vs Punk Triology.

Check OUt: World Title Classic, Joe vs. Punk II, All Star Extravaganza II, Final Battle 2004

2005 - The year of CM Punk. He carried the company this year, and they had a collection of DVD's called the summer of punk. Several great DVD's this year. Strongly reccomend a few big shows from this year.

Check Out: Manhattan Mayhem, Death Before Dishonor 3, Punk, the final Chapter, Joe vs. Kobashi, Vendetta, Final Battle 2005

2006 - I'd say this is argueably the best year in any promotion. I've almost bought every show from this year. Bryan Danielson reigns as the top dog. CZW invades ROH in what a invasion angle should be. Dragon Gate and Kenta are a part of some major shows. Samoa Joe is still a big part of the Roster, and several TNA stars. Homicide rises to fame this year too.

Check Out: Supercard of Honor, Better than our Best, Death Before Dishonor 4, Unified, Glory by HOnor 5 night 2, Final Battle 2006

2007 - I really liked this year, and they had their first Taped PPVs, BUT they lost a lot of talent this year, and still rolled very well. I really suggest getting some of the big shows this year too. All the PPV's. Nigel, Danielson, Morishima, and the Briscoes carried teh company.

Check Out: Fifth Year Festival Finale, Supercard of Honor 2, Good Times, Great Memories, Respect is Earned PPV1, Driven PPV2, Manhattan Mayhem 2, Man UP PPV3,

2nd tier worth watching in the last half of 07 Undeniable ppv4, Rising Above ppv5, and Final Battle 07

2008 - The reign of NIgel. A awesome Jimmy Jacobs vs. Austin Aries blood fued. Some great PPV's and some memorable matches.

CHeck Out - Sixth anniversary show, Supercard of HOnor 3, Take no prisoners PPV6, A new Level, Respect is Earned II PPV7, New HOrizons PPV 8 NOrthern Navigation, Death Before Dishonor 6, Driven 08 PPV 9, Glory by HOnor 7, Bound by Hate, Rising Above PPV 10, Final Battle 2008

2009 - The new era of ROH if you will. A couple must see shows, but ROH is in the transitional phase here, with starting the TV Show.

Check Out - 7th anniversary Show, Supercard of HOnor 4, Manhattan Mayhem 3, End of an Age, The whole Final Countdown Tour, Aries vs. Richards, The OMega Effect, and Final Battle 2009.
========================================================

So if you want a good feel from the current ROH product, I'd suggest some 2009 shows, however that is not the best from the company. 2006 they are hitting on all cylinders. 2005 and 2007 were great years. 2008 had some stuff worth checking out too. I'll add some of the top shows from each year when i get home. Also I'd suggest this grab bag deal on High Spots at the moment.

http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=22856&category=118

For 20$ plus 2-3 shipping you can get 3 of the best ROH shows. From these i'd strongly suggest:

-Better than out Best 2006 (One of my favorite shows)

1. Jack Evans vs. Ace Steel vs. Matt Sydal vs. Jake Crist vs. Dave Christ vs. Jimmy Jacobs (Six Man Mayhem)
2. Ricky Reyes vs. Delirious
3. Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley, & Masato Yoshino vs. Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi, & Ryo Saito
4. AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Jimmy Yang (Four Corner Survival)
5. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong vs. CIMA & Naruki Doi (ROH Tag Team Title Match)
6. Bryan Danielson vs. Lance Storm (ROH World Title Match)
7. Homicide vs. Colt Cabana (Chicago Street Fight)

- Man Up 2007 (Another one of my favorite shows)

1. Nigel McGuinness vs. Chris Hero vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Naomichi Marufuji (Four Corner Survival #1 Contender's Match)
2. Rocky Romero vs. Matt Cross
3. Davey Richards vs. Austin Aries
4. Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens
5. Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson (ROH World Title Match)
6. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico (World Tag Team Title LADDER WAR)

Bonus Matches:
7. Mitch Franklin vs. Alex Payne (Top of the Class Trophy)
8. Lacey & Sara Del Rey vs. Amazing Kong & Daizee Haze
9. BJ Whitmer & Brent Albright vs. Chasyn Rance & Kenny King
10. Jack Evans vs. Tyler Black
11. Matt Sydal vs. Delirious
12. Blood Edit: Age Of The Fall Debut

- Rising Above 2008 (Top show from 2008)

1. Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe (World Tag Team Title Match)
2. MsChif vs. Sara Del Rey (SHIMMER Title Match)
3. Silas Young vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Alex Payne vs. Sami Callahan (Four Corner Survival)
4. Roderick Strong, Brent Albright, & Ace Steel vs. Davey Richards, Go Shiozaki, & Chris Hero
5. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Austin Aries (I-Quit Match)
6. Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson (ROH World Title Match)

Bonus Matches
7. Rhett Titus vs. Delirious
8. Samoa Joe vs. Tyler Black

G 3

Reaction score
I'd say there are some must own ROH shows.

Death Before Dishonor IV
Man Up

But typically, any ROH show will be better than what you see in TNA or WWE.