Alistair Overeem injured, out of UFC 160 fight against Junior dos Santos

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Its official!

mark_hunt.0_standard_709.0.jpg

All's well that ends well for Mark Hunt.

A day after UFC president Dana White said Hunt turned down a fight against Junior dos Santos at UFC 160, "The Super Samoan" got the fight he wanted following a phone conversation with White Thursday night.

As a result, Hunt will now meet dos Santos on May 25 in Las Vegas. White confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com Saturday morning.

When contacted by MMAFighting.com, an ecstatic Hunt called the opportunity "my title shot." Hunt, who denied ever directly turning down the opportunity, was pleased with the outcome of the call, as was White. They would not discuss exactly what they spoke about.

An opening presented itself for Hunt after Alistair Overeem pulled out of the fight due to a quadriceps injury. Immediately after the Overeem news broke, Hunt told MMAFighting.com that he was willing and ready to fight dos Santos later this year.

No word just yet who Overeem will now face next or when he will return to action. Sources close to "The Reem" said he was shooting for a July return to the Octagon.

Hunt (9-7) enters the bout riding a four-fight winning streak following his knockout of Stefan Struve last Saturday night, while dos Santos (15-2) is coming off a heavyweight title loss to Cain Velasquez in December.

UFC 160, headlined by Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva 2, will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Hunt vs. dos Santos will serve as the co-main event.​

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Well Hunt... prepare for your KO as your 4 fight win streak will be ended in a more harsher way than the Blackhawks streak just ended.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
:y: The Cork likes this.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
I dont know where this idea that Hunt is some abysmal striker comes from...he's more than a match for JDS on the feet and Juniors supposed BJJ is a sham.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Would live to seem him land a shot on Juniors chin

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I dont know where this idea that Hunt is some abysmal striker comes from...he's more than a match for JDS on the feet and Juniors supposed BJJ is a sham.

Have we really seen JDS' BJJ as of yet? Nothing immediately stands out to me.

At the same time though, Hunt more than survived Struve on the ground and even managed to sweep him at one point. So that heartens me a little bit.

What I'm really concerned about with this fight is Hunt's gas tank. I really, really hope that she shows up in top notch shape for this because both of these guys have pretty solid chins and I get the feeling that whoever gasses first here is going to be in big trouble.

Anyway, I am considerably more hyped for this fight than I am the main event. Though I was really kinda hoping to see JDS bounce Overeem out of the UFC.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hunt has beat some overconfident people in his run, you could see that in the Struve fight when he pulled guard and kept his chin up and arms down like a moron.

JDS will not do that, would look pretty much like the Gilbert Yvel fight imo.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily

I don't think it is more about Hunt being an abysmal striker cause everyone knows the guy can strike.

But look at Cain... he came back from his loss of the title and went on a tear. JDS is coming off of losing his belt... this is going to be a very focused and determined JDS looking to get that belt back and you think he is gonna let Hunt stop him? I think we're gonna see a more lethal JDS than we have before. Losses does that to top contenders.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
lol

I like Mark Hurt but beating Sean McCorkle does not a champion make.....guy is going to be destroyed on the feet by JDS...he has a tremendous chin and great stamina, BJJ is a non factor ij this fight, Hunt will go out on his shield swinging.

Kingofkings36

Reaction score
I think this will be a good exciting fight, probably better than the main event. The fan in me is hoping that Hunt will win, for the underdog factor. But realistically, I think JDS wins by TKO. Cain would own both though