AJPW's Yutaka Yoshie passes away at 50

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
2020.webp

Yutaka Yoshie has passed away.

Yoshie took part in an All Japan Pro Wrestling show on Sunday in Takasaki. After he returned to the backstage area following his match, Yoshie's condition is said to have "suddenly deteriorated" and he was rushed to a hospital in Tasaki City. His family later notified AJPW that Yoshie had passed away.

A cause of death has not been revealed. He was 50 years old and set to celebrate his 30th anniversary in wrestling later this year.

AJPW notified fans of Yoshie's passing on Sunday morning. A translation of the company's post reads:

Notice of the passing of Yutaka Yoshie
Yutaka Yoshie, who was participating in the Takasaki tournament held today, passed away on March 10, 2024. After Yutaka Yoshie returned to the waiting room after the game, his condition suddenly deteriorated and he was rushed to a hospital in Takasaki City, but he never returned home. We would like to remember Yutaka Yoshie's achievements during his lifetime and pray for his soul to rest in peace. All Japan Pro Wrestling

Fans in attendance have said there was no notable spot during Sunday's match where it appeared Yoshie may have suffered an injury, says Yahoo Sports.

AJPW has also announced the airing of its TV show on March 11 has been postponed.

A translation of AJPW's post reads:

[Notice of postponement of LIVE broadcast]
In response to the news of Yutaka Yoshie's death, we have decided to postpone the live broadcast of All Japan Pro Wrestling TV Renewal, which was scheduled to be broadcast from 19:00 on Monday, March 11th. The new distribution date will be announced on the homepage and official X (formerly Twitter) as soon as it is decided. We humbly ask for your understanding.

Hiroshi Tanahashi commented on Yoshie's passing:

Yoshie debuted in NJPW in 1994 and would eventually hold the IWGP Tag Team Championships along with Hiroshi Tanahashi. He left the company in 2006 and began to work as a freelancer, performing for organizations such as Pro Wrestling Zero1, Pro Wrestling NOAH, AJPW, and more. He'd win tag titles in Zero1 with Steve Corino and Shogun Okamoto and with Akebono in All Japan.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

A translation of Tokyo Sports' report reads:

The bereaved family explained that the cause of death was "due to arteriosclerosis" and said, "It's not caused by a professional wrestling match, so please don't worry about it."
AJPW's Suwama, who also wrestled on Sunday's show, was quoted in today's article.

"All the wrestlers are shocked. A professional wrestler is a profession where you don't know what will happen when, but this time, it's such a timing...," reads a translation of his comments. "He was a person who was wearing short sleeves and shorts even in the snow, and he was cheerful and a cheerful person. It's really impossible."

Fans in attendance on Sunday noted there was no spot or moment in the match where it appeared Yoshie was injured.

Tatsuji Fujinami was also quoted in today's article.

"I'm shocked. He was out at my house, and he was a friend," reads a translation of Fujinami's comments.

"I never dreamed that I would hear such a news."

"May your soul rest in peace from the bottom of my heart."