AEW Dynamite August 21, 2024 - Kazuchika Okada defends Continental Championship against Claudio Castagnoli in Cardiff, Wales

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
agreed i think tony sometimes has add booking lol - i can totally respect the criticism of the bucks not being powerful enough in this story and appearing more. tho some of that is prob also tk ovsession lately with loading up strong matches. which i totally like too. that being said, ive still enjoyed it, could just have been more

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
agreed i think tony sometimes has add booking lol - i can totally respect the criticism of the bucks not being powerful enough in this story and appearing more. tho some of that is prob also tk ovsession lately with loading up strong matches. which i totally like too. that being said, ive still enjoyed it, could just have been more

My biggest criticism is the sheer amount of time they went without a title defense lol even if you count the first Acclaimed contenders match as half of one, it was crazy. I get why they date stuff came up from that obviously, but I've seen Tony book for 5 years now, he does just do that sometimes when he thinks he needs the screentime for other things and whatever he's neglecting can still be heated up

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
yup. and tbf it would have been totally fine to go that long if they were on tv ducking them and making excuses/power tripping more

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah I think that's what we were supposed to assume was happening too, just need the announcers to hit those points more for logic. Gotta remember to treat the belts like a shoot, explanations for a lack of defenses and stuff

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
really still hopes this lead to the Max heel turn because that whole situation to me needs a reboot. but maybe they wont because clearly still really over with the live crowds

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Yeah I think that's what we were supposed to assume was happening too, just need the announcers to hit those points more for logic. Gotta remember to treat the belts like a shoot, explanations for a lack of defenses and stuff
yeah ive been thinking about this for a long time. anmd while i love taz and excalibur one thing they dont do and wwe does well is remind ppl aboutstuff and why ppl do stuff - and act emotionally invested in said stories. outside of TS the other two rarely get invested emtionally in much stuff outside of moves and beatdowns - they could do a better job and reminded ppl of stories and reasonings of characters. dont need to go insane like mb cole does at time or when they over do it in wwe, but theres def a better middle ground than the sometimes laissez fair attitude of the dynamite desk

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The weirdest part is probably that the Acclaimed never really bitched about the Bucks holding off on their title shot, and the announcers never said that either that I can recall. It was just always "the acclaimed have a future title shot" for weeks and weeks lol then they started calling out FTR bc FTR wanted a shot when Acclaimed hadn't got theirs yet. Like bruh don't blame FTR for the Bucks ducking you for two months

Reactions: Tranquilo Jay

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The weirdest part is probably that the Acclaimed never really bitched about the Bucks holding off on their title shot, and the announcers never said that either that I can recall. It was just always "the acclaimed have a future title shot" for weeks and weeks lol then they started calling out FTR bc FTR wanted a shot when Acclaimed hadn't got theirs yet. Like bruh don't blame FTR for the Bucks ducking you for two months
im guessing here is the old addage of them not wanting the defacto babyfaces of the feud appear whiney (even though justified)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
yeah ive been thinking about this for a long time. anmd while i love taz and excalibur one thing they dont do and wwe does well is remind ppl aboutstuff and why ppl do stuff - and act emotionally invested in said stories. outside of TS the other two rarely get invested emtionally in much stuff outside of moves and beatdowns - they could do a better job and reminded ppl of stories and reasonings of characters. dont need to go insane like mb cole does at time or when they over do it in wwe, but theres def a better middle ground than the sometimes laissez fair attitude of the dynamite desk

It was always the thing JR was best at, never as strong for it in AEW tho. Schiavone was never that guy. Taz does it well, I think things just move to fast for him to sometimes

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
It was always the thing JR was best at, never as strong for it in AEW tho. Schiavone was never that guy. Taz does it well, I think things just move to fast for him to sometimes
Nigel is pretty good at this too when he knows whats going on. but ya. TS and X are not those guys either. Ive been considering sometimes that they need a shakeup at the desk on wednesdays but mb thats sacrilege

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Psychology announcing is really a lost art though, way too many wrestling tropes are just unexplained tropes now bc they've just happened so long, new fans have a steeper learning curve. When I was a kid JR would explain why Irish whips happened

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Do two man booths now since you aren't trying to fit everyone in on dynamite and rampage and JR isn't full time.

Taz and Ex

Tony and Nigel

Someone and Daddy Magic (can still be Excalibur, Ian would be awesome but he can't travel)

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
ya its too bad about Ian being a good guy and loving his other job (lol) because I do think Nigel and him are near perfection for my tatstes