AEW Collision Live Thread - June 17th 2023 - Punk is Back

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Not that is really matters, but Jim Cornette, you know th eguy who hates everything AEW, actually loved and enjoyed the main event and praised everyone especially Juice. So you know, AEW is doing something right or better

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Though ironically, I feel like this will become the "wrestling" show that I will enjoy, but it will be lead by Punk, which is funny, lol

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Not that is really matters, but Jim Cornette, you know th eguy who hates everything AEW, actually loved and enjoyed the main event and praised everyone especially Juice. So you know, AEW is doing something right or better
No he just hates the elite n thinks punk hates them. Theyve been putting on good matches for 4 years so jim liking this is meaningless n not an indicator that its "better" . The wrestling was the same quality it was on dynamite, which is excellent.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Tl dr - jim liking or disliking something shouldnt even be discussed, he is an irrelevant old bigot

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Dax Harwood spoke first, praising AEW as the best promotion in the world and addressing his friendship with CM Punk, saying:

“On Saturday night, June 17th in Chicago, f**king Illinois. It’s great to be a pro wrestler. Hey, listen, Chicago, AEW. Sometimes I can get a lot of flack for being this man’s best friend. Sometimes, yeah yeah. Sometimes I can get a lot of heat for speaking the truth. What I want to tell you is AEW houses the best professional wrestlers in the world. AEW houses the most passionate professional wrestlers in the world. And let me tell you, regardless what the journalists want you to think, it ain’t Dynamite versus Collision, it’s AE God damn W.”

CM Punk took to the microphone next, speaking first about a friend of his who’s battling cancer and saying his own struggles don’t compare.

“Listen up real quick. I could talk to you guys for 90 minutes. The last 10 months of my life, there’s been a little bit of a hell. But I got a buddy named Chad who’s got cancer real bad, and all of my woes, and all of my pissing and moaning and crying, is a fraction of what I watch him go through. And he’s still positive, and he fights when he gets chemo. So me saying, ‘Oh, I heard my tricep, and maybe somebody on the internet in their mom’s basement doesn’t like me.’ That’s all horse shit. I love each and every single one of you, even the guy who spelled my name wrong on that sign.”
Continuing, CM Punk said he didn’t know what reaction he was going to get from the crowd and thanked them for their love. He also had a special message for LGBTQ+ youth, shouting out an ice cream company that supports trans youth and explaining why the cause is so dear to him.

“Also, hey, listen. I didn’t know what I was walking into. I was told everybody hates me. And there’s a big part of me that said, ‘Good, I’m going to make a lot of money.’ But it did feel nice coming out here and feeling the love. This young man’s name is Colby. I saw his sign.
“I recently… Listen. I recently reposted something from Pretty Cool Ice Cream. I don’t know if you guys were here two years ago. I bought y’all ice cream. I would’ve done it again, but I thought y’all hated me. We’re coming back soon, don’t worry. You better hope I don’t hate you before then. I reposted something from Pretty Cool Ice Cream, it was an ice cream bar that some of the proceeds or if you purchased a bar, went to support trans youth.
“Listen, I got a lot of hate for reposting that message. Somebody in particular, don’t know who it is, nameless, faceless person on the internet said, ‘Why do you support that trash?’ And I thought about replying, but you can’t argue with stupid, okay? You just both look stupid.
“The reason I support trans kids, trans grownups, gay, straight, lesbian, whoever, is because I know when I was growing up, I didn’t fit in anywhere, but it was because of the clothes I wore, what my hair looked like, the music I listened to. Those are all things I could rectify. I could cut my hair. I could listen to jazz. I don’t know what. But to be somebody who’s gay, lesbian, especially trans, I don’t know what it feels like to be trapped in a body that I don’t feel I belong in. That is why I support that.
“I didn’t fit in anywhere until I found pro wrestling and all the freaks and geeks in the locker room were just like me, maybe because they’re a little bit psychotic and they couldn’t hold on to a real job, but that’s another story. Support trans kids. Support gay and lesbian rights. I want everybody to be themselves. Just do no harm to everybody else. Thank you. I love you.”

Reactions: Jimmy King

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The discourse around this show is already very stupid, but I shouldn't be surprised :lol I'm sure it'll die off over the weeks as some of the weirdly hateful, attention hungry folks realize that it's still AEW at the end of the day

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The discourse around this show is already very stupid, but I shouldn't be surprised :lol I'm sure it'll die off over the weeks as some of the weirdly hateful, attention hungry folks realize that it's still AEW at the end of the day
it will get even more stupid once the ratings come out

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Even AEW Botches has been talking up Collision.

Of course AEW haters could and probably will turn against it and if the ratings aren’t close to Dynamite they probably should because they think its ratings are trash so if Collision’s is less, be consistent.

I still think it’s interesting in the meantime. I feel like the pushback to these idiots liking Collision feels almost as tribal as them hating AEW. You can like Dynamite and Collision as an AEW fan and that doesn’t make their criticisms of Dynamite anymore or less valid. They just have their own opinions.

As warped and weird as they get sometimes. Like I couldn’t imagine wasting my time and energy running an AEW botches Twitter account.

In the conversation I had with Chris we mentioned being negative versus positive and while they all still mention it not having the Elite on it, a lot of praise has come in recently on the increase of production, different camera work, the match with Andrade and Buddy, Miro looking like a star and the main event.

These people will most likely still turn on AEW, but before they do it’s an interesting time to see aew get more exposure and attention for something almost everyone thinks they did right for different reasons.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
it will get even more stupid once the ratings come out
I can’t imagine it won’t unless they decide to purposely be hypocritical.

I’m hoping for 600K myself.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Even AEW Botches has been talking up Collision.

Of course AEW haters could and probably will turn against it and if the ratings aren’t close to Dynamite they probably should because they think its ratings are trash so if Collision’s is less, be consistent.

I still think it’s interesting in the meantime. I feel like the pushback to these idiots liking Collision feels almost as tribal as them hating AEW. You can like Dynamite and Collision as an AEW fan and that doesn’t make their criticisms of Dynamite anymore or less valid. They just have their own opinions.

As warped and weird as they get sometimes. Like I couldn’t imagine wasting my time and energy running an AEW botches Twitter account.

In the conversation I had with Chris we mentioned being negative versus positive and while they all still mention it not having the Elite on it, a lot of praise has come in recently on the increase of production, different camera work, the match with Andrade and Buddy, Miro looking like a star and the main event.

These people will most likely still turn on AEW, but before they do it’s an interesting time to see aew get more exposure and attention for something almost everyone thinks they did right for different reasons.
1) yes, that's pretty much what I was getting at - I don't care about Cornette's praises because I don't care about his criticisms either, and I think both come in bad faith with him. hence, he is irrelevant.

2) The production value was increased, this is good and should be the standard...for BOTH shows! Dynamite has no excuse now.

3) The Andrade Buddy match was my motn for sure and was really good

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think Jim Cornette speaks from a position of bad faith, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true of every AEW hater. I feel some people just genuinely don’t enjoy seeing the elite or other wrestlers who work a similar style. Not saying you personally need to care because why should you. However, from my perspective if this is indeed genuine enjoyment of the new show because the specific elements of AEW aren’t being presented there, that could be a win-win for AEW as long as these people actually watch the show. As fleeting and momentary as it may be.

We’ll see how it goes.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I think Jim Cornette speaks from a position of bad faith, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true of every AEW hater. I feel some people just genuinely don’t enjoy seeing the elite or other wrestlers who work a similar style. Not saying you personally need to care because why should you. However, from my perspective if this is indeed genuine enjoyment of the new show because the specific elements of AEW aren’t being presented there, that could be a win-win for AEW as long as these people actually watch the show. As fleeting and momentary as it may be.

We’ll see how it goes.
I don't consider you an Elite hater nor do I consider your criticism bad faith. I have no issue with the people who genuinely prefer certain other styles of wrestling over others, I prefer most styles over WWE's style, for example, myself.

It's more the people who come in with the same tired parroted takes who are pretending this show is super different and awesome and a fuck you to the elite. From my POV, they've had all these kinds of matches before, FTR and Punk have wrestled these types of matches before as well. It's simply presented differently, which is great. I just don't really see how it's a fundamental different show than Dynamite outside the look and the setup, and I think there will still be plenty of acrobatic displays on this show (there was some in Andrade Buddy) . Both shows will still be buffets, just at a restaurant with different wallpaper and waiters and a slightly different menu.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes