25 Day Wrestling Challenge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

1chiban

Reaction score
This is a silly social networking thing, but it actually has some pretty interesting questions.

In case you haven't already guessed, the premise is this:

Each day for the next 25 days, I'll post a question about wrestling which we can answer and discuss (well, that's the idea).

Day 1: Retell the moment that got you hooked on wrestling

Day 2: List your top 5 male wrestlers of all time (order or no order). A brief explanation for each would be interesting.

Day 3: List your top 5 female personalities/wrestlers of all time

Day 4: Retell you favourite moment in wrestling history.

Day 1: For me it was the 1997 Royal Rumble match where Stone Cold Steve Austin screwed Bret Hart out of the match. I hated Austin so much as an eight-year-old kid!!! Luckily as I grew up I saw how awesome he was.

Anyway, over to you - what moment got you hooked?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
That's easy. The first match I really remember and the one that made me become a huge fan was Ted DiBiase vs Randy Savage @ WM4 in the finals for the titles. I have been told that I was watching before that but I have little recollection of that and I certainly wasn't hooked just yet.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of curious to see where some of the older posters got hooked.

1chiban

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of curious to see where some of the older posters got hooked.

Exactly my thoughts.

Having looked down the list of questions offered by the blog I found it on, some of them are awful and will be changed. I don't think 'who is your favourite on-screen and off-screen wrestling couple' is something that ever needs to be talked about :/

monkeystyle

Reaction score
That Rumble you saw was a good one to see. I don't think that they have ever tried to replicate that ending have they?

1chiban

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. Can't even remember a spot where someone's been eliminated and then crept back in thanks to the ref being distracted since then, either.

It was something a bit different, as was the Santino spot this year. I can see why people hated it as it was Santino, but at least it was somewhat original!

Incidentally Rumble '97 was the first wrestling even I ever saw. Just randomly asked my Mum to get it for me after seeing it in the shop a few times. Just liked the look of the logo I think lol. Guess I lucked out on that. I think the second vid I got was something like Wrestlemania 1994 or something. Again, with Bret-Owen I lucked out.

Airfixx

Reaction score
First saw Summerslam 89.... As satellite TV first began to kick in in the UK, the Simpsons & WWF were the talk of the classroom and VHS tapes stated to circulate (via the few rich kids who had everything, of course!).

Savage, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Warrior, Zeus (lol) all grabbed my attention, but I guess the big moment that got me was Warrior recapturing the IC title against Rick Rude... He was so over and it seemed like SUCH a big deal!

...Almost immediately developed a disliking for Hogan - Was just too Americana and goody-goody for a 12/13 yr old that had already starting to get into 'edgier'/out there stuff like HipHop, Metal, Horror films and such.

1chiban

Reaction score
Nice.

Well, day 2's topic is this:

List your top 5 male wrestlers of all time (order or no order). A brief explanation for each would be interesting.

Shawn Michaels - What can you say? A great performer who actually seemed to get better the older he got! My family didn't have cable when I was a kid so I got to see the last year or so of Michaels' first WWE run via VHS tapes of PPVs only! However, when he returned to in-ring action at Summerslam 2002 to face Triple H, it was actually pretty exciting. What was more exciting was to see that he still had it! Since then he continued to have the best matches on the card and even got a five-star match out of John Cena at one point! What's more is that he's a Christian like me - to see a guy like Shawn Michaels turn to Jesus and have such an amazing career in the business I love was awesome.

Bret Hart - My first favourite as a kid. A great technician, and responsible for some of my favourite matches of all time. Although saying he was the best there was is a bit of a stretch, he's up there.

The Rock and Stone Cold - The attitude era was all about these two. What can I say that hasn't been said. Austin was probably better in the ring than Rock, but Rock could old his own. Both were great on the mic, and in the playground as a kid, everyone wanted to be The Rock and do his catchphrases. Whenever I'm around a microphone now it's really tempting to grab it and reel them all off!

Hulk Hogan - Although I have less respect for him now that I'm older and have had the opportunity to read a lot about him, he is an absolute icon, and the main feature of many of the old WWF vids I got my hands on after first being hooked on wrestling in 1997.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Are we talking strictly wrestlers or top 5 wrestling personalities/characters?

1chiban

Reaction score
Superstars generally, I guess. Anyway, here's day 3's question:

List your top 5 female personalities/wrestlers of all time

Airfixx

Reaction score
# 2

1. Randy Savage
2. HBK
3. Chris Jericho
4. Bobby Heenan
5. Bret Hart

# 3

1. Sensational Sherri
2 - 5........ Ummmmmm :roll:

1chiban

Reaction score
Day 4: Retell you favourite moment in wrestling history.

Can I have 3?

I first got cable TV in time to watch Wrestlemania 2000 hoping to see The Rock win the WWF Title. However, I had to wait until Backlash to do that. To see Austin smash Trips with the chair and Rocky get the pin was a massive mark out moment for me as an 11 year old!!!

Joint with that is the excitement I felt during the Rock and Hogan match at Wrestlemania X8. Say what you like about Hogan, that match was a big deal and it felt like it.

Finally, and joint again, Eddie Guerrero winning the WWE Title. I didn't read the dirtsheets back then as I was still relatively young and didn't really know they existed lol, so seeing him beat Brock was a real surprise.