2016 - 2017 Football Season Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Randy Borton

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Barca did the impossible, my heart was pumping through that entire game lol

LEGGOOOO BARCA

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Well done, PSG, you fucking goofs. Couldn't even preserve a 4 goal lead from the last game. smh

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1: PSG are more embarrassing then my Arsenal and that is saying something. They can have no complaints, I do feel sorry for the fans a bit though :terry:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Apart from Kane getting injured ten minutes in I cannot really complain about today's game against Millwall. All players who needs to step up when Kane is not on did today. Son scored a great hat-trick which must have felt great with the Millwall scum shouting racist slurs at him all game. And Janssen finally got his first goal from open goal, and you could see how much it meant for him and for the rest of the team when he scored.

Speaking of Janssen I think they kind of nailed how to use him with this game. He's not as technical as Kane, Son or Eriksen, who can produce their own goal opportunities yet. Since he comes from a league using the 4-4-2 system more and he's used to having balls delivered to him. So if I were Spurs now and Kane is out for a while, I'd start with Son as my striker, then put out Janssen on like today, with 20-15 minutes left and the defense starting to tire. Using him as a power sub. Because he has the strength and the cardio to outdo the defense then. And just have the midfielders feed him balls. Just like they did today and as we saw today, it paid off.

Granted there's a difference between PL teams and Millwall. But if the shoe fits. I think that's a system that would get the most out of Janssen. He's not going to score if he just gets five minutes, or just stoppage time. He needs 15-20 minutes of play. And you don't even need to take off Son since you can take off a midfielder for Janssen and move Son out on the wing.

Aaaaand I realize I have put way too much thought into this.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Discovery Networks have bought the broadcasting rights for the two Swedish top flights of football from the 2020 season onwards to the 2026 season minimum for a sum of roughly 61 million usd per year. It's calculated that the clubs will double their yearly TV revenue which is great for Swedish football since it will give the clubs on a elite level more money to invest into their businesses. Hopefully it doesn't just go into players and agents' pockets but according to the Swedish football organization they are taking measures to prevent that and they are working with the clubs to work out how the money should be invested (facilities, academies and such). And Discovery had made it clear that they intend for the games to be more easily accessible and cheaper to watch than they are now since they don't believe in the the pay-per-premium model.

Bit biased since I am a Swede but I'm happy. Swedish football is on the way up and if the clubs get more money to even out the playing field and make the league better I am stoked for that. The crowds are already great (if small compared to the premier league or La Liga and such) so if the game itself can improve and the money actually gets properly invested in the league and Discovery delivers on the easy to watch and you don't have to pay much for it promise I am all for it.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
So another bet this week narrowly misses for me,

1.png

Also missed out on 3k by ONE GOAL on Tuesday. I'll hit it soon enough.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
So another bet this week narrowly misses for me,

View attachment 2859

Also missed out on 3k by ONE GOAL on Tuesday. I'll hit it soon enough.

You were that close? That sucks, man.

But wait, I thought you weren't really a fan of football and preferred American football/NFL?

Anyways, speaking of bets, I haven't placed a bet on a footie game in a looong time. It's a time and money waster.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
You were that close? That sucks, man.

But wait, I thought you weren't really a fan of football and preferred American football/NFL?

Anyways, speaking of bets, I haven't placed a bet on a footie game in a looong time. It's a time and money waster.

I don't like football at all, but betting is fun.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Sweden beat Belarus 4-0 in a world cup qualifier yesterday. That's great news. Bad news is I was working and only caught the second half on the radio on the drive home.
On another positive Bulgaria managed to upset the Netherlands so Sweden got to pull ahead a bit in our group.