• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PaulDB

Reaction score
I enjoyed 2013. It was one of the more exciting years of the company, not to mention one or the more colorful. The Funkadactals were at the height of their popularity, Brock Lesnar's return created excellent tension, the woman's division was heating up.

What ingredients did WWE throw into the mix to make this year so good?

Reactions: Vampire Quinn

Crash

Reaction score
The Shield, Daniel Bryan gaining momentum, CM Punk was still around and Cody & Golddust were tag team champions.

Reactions: Tyler2 and PaulDB

PaulDB

Reaction score
The Shield, Daniel Bryan gaining momentum, CM Punk was still around and Cody & Golddust were tag team champions.

Yes, the presence of big dogs that bolstered WWE in '13. I still remember hooking up again with the company again via YouTube that year. What I saw reeled me back in.

I liked the fan favourite vs. heel feuds. They really livened the shows.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I think WWE squandered some of the really good things they could've done, but the shows were relatively strong. Punk v. Rock v. Cena would have been so great. That Punk v. Cena match before Mania 29 is an all-time great RAW match.

Btw, good idea for threads discussing specific years.

PaulDB

Reaction score
I think WWE squandered some of the really good things they could've done, but the shows were relatively strong. Punk v. Rock v. Cena would have been so great. That Punk v. Cena match before Mania 29 is an all-time great RAW match.

Btw, good idea for threads discussing specific years.
AJ Lee's run as woman's champion was one of the highlights of '13. Her crazy persona and bringing in Tamina Snuka as her bodyguard were very neat touches. AJ was the diva you loved to hate but couldn't help admire, a bit like Harley Quinn.

The only thing I found awkward was Stephanie McMahon's double faced heel turn that started off with a warning to the Divas about not interrupting her again. That was a rather obvious hint of how we'd seen the last of her baby face time.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
2013 was the year when people started hoping for a legit John Cena vs Undertaker WrestleMania Streak Match.

People wanted to see who would Vince choose over the other.

Cena in the prime of his career vs Undertaker who established his legendary career

Also, The Brock Lesnar vs Triple H rivalry from 2012 to 2013 was a thing that I was super enjoying.

And like @Pope Alexander IX said CM Punk added to The Rock vs John Cena would have been better than just a plain old rematch from the year before

Reactions: PaulDB

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
I enjoyed 2013 for the most part but I wasn't very fond of The Rock vs John Cena rematch. It had none of the hype from the first match for me, which I feel definitely carred the match to a higher level. Crowd was fully in to it, where as WM29 was a lot more lowkey and crowd seemed exhausted.

The whole thing was very predictable with Rock winning the belt, Cena winning the rumble and then Cena obviously winning the belt at Mania. There was no shock factor.

I think they definitely should have put Punk in there for a triple threat. The promos between Punk and Rock were awesome. Although I will say I am glad we got Punk vs Undertaker as it was one of my favourites and a great match. The year overall was very fun as I loved The Shield and they made up for any slow moments throughout the year.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
In all honesty, that 2011 to 2015 period was their second most exciting 5-year era in their history, in my opinion.

The roster was insanely stacked, they didn't have the brand split that forces them to over push people that honestly are better in lower card spots and you have all your top guys on one show.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
In all honesty, that 2011 to 2015 period was their second most exciting 5-year era in their history, in my opinion.

The roster was insanely stacked, they didn't have the brand split that forces them to over push people that honestly are better in lower card spots and you have all your top guys on one show.

2011 is probably one of the best wrestling years I've ever watched. Quality matches, stacked roster. Aside from some moments where they dropped the ball a tad, it was a great time to be a fan.

2012 was a bit more hit or miss but some of the events/matches were great. Just off the top of my head we got Triple H/Taker in HIAC at Mania, Punk/Bryan at Over the Limit and The Shield vs Team Hell no and Ryback (my favourite!)

2014-2015 had some of the best WrestleMania events and booking, they actually listened to people for the most part. Even though it took them ages to come around on Bryan, they finally did it. Having Bryan and Seth win on those Mania years were top marks from me.

Reactions: PaulDB

PaulDB

Reaction score
The one thing I hated about 13 is when WWE candy coated Daniel Bryan and the Bella Twins after Bryan proposed to Brie. That was a low turning point of the year, as it scrubbed Brie's queen bee heel persona and cast her and Nikki in the roles of the happy go lucky girls, turning them into glorified poster chicks with none of the malicious charm they had only months before. It also put Bryan on the road to becoming the tragic victim of Randy Orton, Kane and the Authority, a far cry from the heel character he used to play and a wasted opportunity. Together with his fiancé as heels, Bryan and Brianna could've equalled the Miz and Maryse as a powerhouse couples. Their "people's couple" run was a sad, soppy attempt to please the fans and nowhere near the kind of good stuff WWE can offer.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
I remember when WWE13 came out and CM Punk and Stone Cold had that interview.

It seemed like they were setting up a match between the two at WM 29

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I remember when WWE13 came out and CM Punk and Stone Cold had that interview.

It seemed like they were setting up a match between the two at WM 29
I can't believe that match never happened. I don't think they tried hard enough to convince Stone Cold. That had potential to be just as big as Rock/Cena as Punk was one of the hottest products going at that time and Austin is an all-time favourite.

They teased it a lot, so I imagine at one point they had hope.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
I can't believe that match never happened. I don't think they tried hard enough to convince Stone Cold. That had potential to be just as big as Rock/Cena as Punk was one of the hottest products going at that time and Austin is an all-time favourite.

They teased it a lot, so I imagine at one point they had hope.

They actually did, Austin even said that "First person I'm willing to face is CM Punk"

What prevented him he said was "He doesn't have it"