2009 Most Overrated

• Thread starter Beer Money Army
  • Start date
  • Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

2009 Most Overated

• Batista

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big Show

• John Cena

• The Miz

• Randy Orton

• R-Truth

• Tommy Dreamer

• Maryse

• Cody Rhodes

• Others Please post

• Total voters

Hometown Kid

But what’s also stupid is to not even include the fans when discussing how good or bad a match is. Until the day comes that pro wrestling isn’t intended to entertain an audience you always need to take into account the fans when discussing things like how good a match was or how good a wrestler is.

The purpose of music and movies is to entertain fans, Britney Spears can have a concert with everyone cheering and Nickelback can sell 7 million albums, but they still suck. Not to say that star rating systems aren't stupid but crowd reaction has no affect on the actual matches. That would mean Lex Luger put on better matches than Owen Hart. NO. :n:

As far as Cena/Trips goes, if anything Trips has sabotaged Orton. He was the hottest guy in WWE at the Rumble and by Mania (after he started with Trips) he was a joke that gets squashed in the Main Events. Cena isn't exactly a star maker either, but Trips should be on the poll over him and especially if Cena is already.

Reaction score
The purpose of music and movies is to entertain fans, Britney Spears can have a concert with everyone cheering and Nickelback can sell 7 million albums, but they still suck.
This example doesn’t actually work, but I’ll get to that in a second. First I would like to know how you can say that they suck. While you won’t find a Britney Spears or Nickelback CD in my collection, you also won’t see me saying that they suck, when clearly they don’t. If they have a very strong following that likes their music and will turn over their money to either watch them perform or purchase their CD’s then they don’t suck. The only way you can say they suck is by your own personal opinion, and it’s pretty arrogant if you feel that your opinion outweighs the fact that millions of people enjoy their music and spend their money on it.

As for why it’s not a good example, first I will start with music. A wrestler is hired by the promoter to entertain the fans to the point where they will spend money on the product. While a musician is also hired by the record company to make records that people will spend money on, the restrictions are completely different. Once the musicians are hired they come in and basically do what they want. They can write their own songs, sing the way they want, etc. A wrestler is hired by the promoter and has to follow what they want. For this example to work the record company would have to write out albums for every single musician that they have to be able to compare them.

As for movies, a movie can definitely make a lot of money and not be very good. But there is also a very good reason for this. People that spend money to go and watch a movie for the most part do so after seeing a 30 second commercial. So the movie can bore the audience to death but they have already paid their money by the time they realize how much the movie sucks.

A much better example would be to compare a wrestler to car salesmen. The salesmen get hired with the sole purpose of selling cars to make the dealership money. The best salesmen are the ones that sell the most cars. Just like in wrestling, the wrestlers are hired to entertain the fans to the point where they want to turn over their money, and the best wrestlers and the best matches are the ones that succeed in entertaining the fans the most.

Not to say that star rating systems aren't stupid but crowd reaction has no affect on the actual matches.
That’s completely untrue. If two wrestlers go out in front of 20,000 fans and put on a perfect match where everything flows well and there are no botches, but all 20,000 are bored out of their mind and not even slightly entertained, then that is a shit match and the wrestler’s failed to do their job. There is no way that you can rate a match and not include the audience until the day comes that wrestling isn’t about entertaining an audience anymore, and I don’t see that day coming anytime soon.

That would mean Lex Luger put on better matches than Owen Hart. NO. :n:
Lex Lugar was definitely a better wrestler than Owen Hart. Perhaps Lugar didn’t wrestle a style you liked, but the fact is he was a better wrestler. He was mega over everywhere he went and did it as both a face and as a heel. He was always a guy near the top of the card. Owen Hart on the other hand was a career mid carder despite the fact that they attempted to make him a main eventer by giving him a good rub from Bret Hart. The simple fact is that Lugar was someone that fans wanted to see perform more than Owen Hart, thus making him a better professional wrestler.

As far as Cena/Trips goes, if anything Trips has sabotaged Orton. He was the hottest guy in WWE at the Rumble and by Mania (after he started with Trips) he was a joke that gets squashed in the Main Events. Cena isn't exactly a star maker either, but Trips should be on the poll over him and especially if Cena is already.
While I wouldn’t go as far as you did here and say that Triple H has hurt Orton, this was basically what I was trying to say from the beginning. There is no reason that Cena should even be on the list, but if he’s on the list then Triple H should damn sure be an option as well. For that matter Edge should be an option as well. He won 3 world titles in just 4 months.

Reaction score
Lex Lugar was definitely a better wrestler than Owen Hart. Perhaps Lugar didn’t wrestle a style you liked, but the fact is he was a better wrestler. He was mega over everywhere he went and did it as both a face and as a heel. He was always a guy near the top of the card. Owen Hart on the other hand was a career mid carder despite the fact that they attempted to make him a main eventer by giving him a good rub from Bret Hart. The simple fact is that Lugar was someone that fans wanted to see perform more than Owen Hart, thus making him a better professional wrestler.

What do you define as "wrestler"? Lugar was a bigger star and had a more successful career that Hart, but how does that prove anything more than he was a bigger draw? Alot more encompasses "wrestler" than just draw and position on the card.

Beer Money Army

It was a damn fine match against a guy that is still green. It was easily Swagger's best match and the match that gave him his best exposure. How many young guys has Triple H made look good this year?

It was about as good of a match as you are going to see on TV. It had to be the best TV match all year long. The majority of TV matches that feature two big stars doesn't have a finish, but blame booking for that. Cena and Jericho could only put on as good of a match as the time and booking would allow them to, and they did a damn good job from the time that bell rang up until the time the WWE decided to have Edge interfere.

They might have been lame in your eyes, but the simple fact is that the crowd was into every single one of those matches. That's all that matters.

Umm... You bring up a match that happened in 2006, in a thread created by yourself in which you said the criteria was performances in 2009. So what the fuck does a 2006 match have to do with this discussion?

How can you rate a match and not include crowd reaction? The sole purpose of putting on a match is to entertain the fans. If the fans aren't into the match, you aren't putting on a good performance. John Cena clearly entertains the audience every time he goes out there, which is proven by the fact that he gets a reaction not only during his entrance like Triple H, but all throughout a match. That proves that John Cena is a top notch performer and in no way is he overrated.

Look at the level of talent that Cena has worked with compared to Triple H. Aside from his parking lot brawl with John Cena last year, show me a good JBL match since his return to wrestling. The Miz is an unproven worker, and yet Cena has managed to get decent matches out of him, especially this last one on Monday. As for the Big Show, this comes down to the fact that you probably just don't like to watch a slow big guy in the ring. Like I have been saying though, the fans have been into those matches and that's all that matters. Triple H on the other hand has done nothing but work with one of the top performers and probably the best heel in wrestling today. They have had great build ups yet haven't delivered in the ring.

The fans in attendance disagree with you.

Cena vs. Edge LMS was either ****/****1/2.

I don't Think Swagger is green, all he needs is experience within the ring. Plus Swagger has made a name of himself on ECW TV, i don't think Cena really help him out on that decent match, but hey atleast they didn't do a Swagger Vs batista. (while Swagger Best Match is with Christian from Backlash)

Probably the best TV match On WWE 2009 would be: Evan bourne Vs John Morrison ***1/2. Cena/Y2j was doing good in that match, but That ending was crap, I'm not sure why they had make it a "no contest", since in the last 4-5 encounters of Y2J/cena, Cena has won. (i wuld rather like to see a 1-2-3 or submission ending). rather than a DQ/C-out/No contest ending

well You were saying how good were cena/Show,U been putting HHH down, while I pointed out that HHH/SHow click better than what cena/show does.

I never call John Cena Overrated, I put him in the Poll, but 2009 hasn't been a good year in my opinion.( I voted for Batista)

Cena vs JBL Parking lot brawl was decent at best, **1/2 i must say it was never special. (JBL has never work good in his career, except for his feud with Eddie Guerrero in 2004, but nothing was **** in there feud). Lol That Big show vs John Cena match on last week's raw wasn't good at all. I do like slow wrestlers, but they needs to utelizes there ability properely. (i wouldnt say Orton is the top heel, Y2J is that.)

I don't care what fans in attendance may think, Because tbh they are only mainsteam fans, they will come and go, while i have been watching wrestling for years. (so of those WWE fans enjoy Cryme Tyme wrestling and they aren't that special or enjoy R-truth What's Up, 2006 should call R-truth and tell him to write a new song)

Cena vs edge LMS was ****, while HHH Vs orton 1st LMS was a **** at No Mercy 2007.

LOL Luger could only really have good Matches with Flair in the late 80's/early 90's, Vince made him marketable in the mid 90's(i'll give him that, but he wasn't anything unless he wrestled flair), then when he went back to WCW he was worthless. While Owen hart was a top heel in 94/95 and he was a dude that was used to Put wrestler overs or tag with wrestlers to be put over(in 1997 Owen/Austin feud was great and it took austin to a newer level), I think owen Hart did a really good job of it. While Luger wasn't a good wrestler after the late 80's/early 90's.

i would rather see Owen Hart than Lex Luger. In fact the "Owen Hart Tribute show" scored a 7.2 rating in 1999. So it would tell you alot that people loved owen

Qwake

Actually what’s fucking stupid is star rating systems. There are so many reasons as to why they are flawed. But what’s also stupid is to not even include the fans when discussing how good or bad a match is. Until the day comes that pro wrestling isn’t intended to entertain an audience you always need to take into account the fans when discussing things like how good a match was or how good a wrestler is.

The people rating are rating the match, the in-ring work, the wrestling between the two guys competing, the rate it on what they saw and enjoyed, not on how much the crowd was into it. Why would you rate something based on what others thought of it? They are rating it on how much they enjoyed or how interested they were in the match.

I suppose this is my fault for using the word young. What I mean is unestablished, and Orton was damn sure established before they started feuding this year.

You do realize that you’re completely contradicting yourself, right? If the fans were cheering and booing Orton when he came back, then clearly he was over. So how did Triple H help someone that was over, get back over?

I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. What I meant was when Orton returned he was getting mixed reactions from the crowd and they were nothing compared to the boos he was getting before his injury. He came back as a heel and was getting a couple of cheers which isn't what heels should be doing, HHH helped him become probably the WWEs biggest or one of the biggest heels at the time.

I take it you missed their match from Raw this past Monday?

Yes. What I said was based on everything that I saw before last RAW.

Are you kidding me? For one thing it was easily Jack Swagger’s best match in the WWE. This was a match where Cena proved that he could get a lot out of a guy that is still very green in the ring. Fit Finlay is always praised for his in ring work and is one of the WWE’s trainers, yet he put on a horrible match with Swagger at No Way Out. As for this match not doing anything for Swagger, that’s ridiculous. He looked very strong against the top star in the company. How is that not doing anything for Swagger?

I said it didn't do MUCH for Swagger, the match was decent at best, if that was Swaggers best match then that just shows that he had done nothing before that. I'll admit, during the match he was getting quite a reaction sinc he was up against a huge face but once he went back to ECW he was getting his usual same reactions from the crowd which shows it didn't do to much for the long run, just at the time.

This right here proves what my point has been from the very start. The fans are ALWAYS into John Cena matches, so how on earth is he overrated?

I know this proves your point about fans always being into Cena matches but like BMA said, those are mainstream fans, they see a huge face and follow him but based on Cena's inring performance, he's been overated thus far in 09 imo.

So the creator of the thread says that it’s about performance in 2009 and even goes on to say that Triple H has outperformed Cena in 2009, but then he brings up a match from 2006. Again I ask the question, what does a 2006 match have to do with this discussion?

Beer Money Army already answered this and it did have something to do with this discussion if you read it.

If you want to bring up matches from previous years I could talk about Cena vs. Orton from Summerslam 07 that completely blows every Triple H/Orton match from 09 out of the water, but that does nothing in a discussion about performances in 2009.

It does in a way. It shows that Cena Vs Orton from a few years back was better then HHH/Ortons stuff this year, shows that Orton and Cena work better with each other just like HHH/Show from a few years back was better then Cena/Show this year.

Doesn’t change the fact that Cena has put on a much better LMS match this year than Triple H has. You’re right about something though. The majority of the time TV matches aren’t as good as PPV matches. Yet Cena’s match against Chris Jericho on Raw with no finish was better than ANY match Triple H has had this year on TV or on PPV.

Really, you think that Jericho/Cena match was better then any HHH match this year? Think from Rumble to now, your answer should have changed by then. I myself, hate HHH but still lol.

Agreed.

MaZZacare

Reaction score
If i could vote twice it would be HHH and Batista but since i will be seeing more HHH then Batista in the future its HHH he hasn't had a match that was good without it being with someone who was better then him the only instance in this being wrong would be his match against Hardy

Beer Money Army

Christian. Someone gimme a match that set himself apart from others.

i don't Mind christian. His match with Swagger at Backlash is pby his best match in WWE since his 2nd run. But that Match was ***1/2.

I like him, but he isn't world/wwe heavyweight material yet. But what christian Problem is he is on a Heat/Velocity like show, If he was on raw/smackdown his performance may excell a bit better.

But that would be my reason to it, (but i can see some people on here that do overwrap him too much sometimes.)

Christian is good, but he is no instant classic. A Instant classic would be a ricky steamboat or HBK or a Bret Hart, or in this modern Era are Chris jericho or Bryan Danielson.

JACOBS OWNS

Reaction score
i have to say triple H Simply b/c how can you main event wrestlemania and Have a Bad Match giving the fans Nothing memorable about the match

Kaedon

Reaction score
gotta agree about Christian

Reaction score
First off, sorry it took so long to respond to this. I have been really busy the last few days and when I did get a chance to come on the computer, I was much to tired to give a decent response to this.

What do you define as "wrestler"?
A wrestler is someone hired by a promoter to put on a staged performance for an audience, with the intent of entertaining that audience to the point where they will turn over their money to watch the show again.

Lugar was a bigger star and had a more successful career that Hart, but how does that prove anything more than he was a bigger draw?
Since both Luger and Hart were hired with the sole purpose of making their promoter money, it proves that Luger was better at his job.

Alot more encompasses "wrestler" than just draw and position on the card.
The more you can draw, the better wrestler you are. It’s fairly simple really. The only way to measure a wrestler’s talent is by how well they can connect with the audience, and if they are a good draw then clearly they are good at what they do. Position on the card doesn’t always dictate who is better between two wrestlers. For example take a look at CM Punk and Chris Jericho. Punk is the world champion but Jericho is far more over with the audience than Punk is. But, more often than not the guys on the top of the card are in fact the most over, as it only makes sense to put the people the audience wants to see at the top of the card.

I don't Think Swagger is green, all he needs is experience within the ring.
Exactly my point. He is still green. Like I mentioned, go watch his matches with Matt Hardy and Fit Finlay from the Royal Rumble and No Way Out. Swagger’s ring work is clearly a work in progress.

Plus Swagger has made a name of himself on ECW TV, i don't think Cena really help him out on that decent match, but hey atleast they didn't do a Swagger Vs batista. (while Swagger Best Match is with Christian from Backlash)
On ECW he was wrestling in front of about a third of the audience as he was on Raw, and he looked awful in his two PPV matches before this match. Look at the guys he was making his name against on ECW. None of them even come close to having the same star power as John Cena. His match against Cena was easily the most significant of his career. It was in front of the biggest audience and against the biggest star in the company, and he looked like a legit threat in that match.

Probably the best TV match On WWE 2009 would be: Evan bourne Vs John Morrison ***1/2. Cena/Y2j was doing good in that match, but That ending was crap, I'm not sure why they had make it a "no contest", since in the last 4-5 encounters of Y2J/cena, Cena has won. (i wuld rather like to see a 1-2-3 or submission ending). rather than a DQ/C-out/No contest ending
I have a few questions for you. Why do you keep pulling these ratings out of your ass like they actually mean something? Where are you getting them anyways? Also, why do you continue to hold the finish of the Cena/Jericho match against them? The no finish was not their choice. They only thing they could control was what happened for the 15-20 minutes they were given before the WWE decided they would put an end to the match with Edge’s interference. They did a fantastic job with what they were given, despite the no finish. That’s what you should be rating the match on.

But if you don’t want to call this match the best TV match of the year because of the finish, then think back to January and Cena’s match with HBK that did have a finish. I actually overlooked that match as well while discussing this, but that has to be the best TV match all year.

well You were saying how good were cena/Show,
You misunderstood then. Never have I once said how good Cena/Show was, because it was far from being great. What my point has been is that it’s not as bad as you have made it out to be. You have been crapping on the matches by saying things like how lame they have been. My point is while they were far from being classic matches, they also weren’t awful and did what they were supposed to do, and that’s entertain the audience.

U been putting HHH down,
Maybe it has come off like that, but it hasn’t been my intention. I’m not trying to put down Triple H, I’m just trying to prove that he hasn’t been as good as John Cena this year.

while I pointed out that HHH/SHow click better than what cena/show does.
Cena/Orton click far better than Triple H/Orton. Is it relevant though? No. Cena/Orton haven’t wrestled this year and that is what this thread is about. Performance in 2009. Big Show and Triple H haven’t wrestled each other this year so it’s an absolutely irrelevant point in this discussion.

I never call John Cena Overrated, I put him in the Poll, but 2009 hasn't been a good year in my opinion.( I voted for Batista)
Well you’re wrong because Cena has had a very solid year so far. A big part of being overrated should include position on the card and how much camera time someone gets. While Cena still has had a good spot on the card, he hasn’t been the focal point of the WWE this year, even when he has been champion and since April he has been out of the title picture. Triple H on the other hand has done nothing but main event despite the fact that this hasn’t been a great year for him. When you main event the biggest show of the year, and perhaps what should have been the biggest show ever or at least close to it, and you go on to bore the audience for 20 minutes there is no reason that you shouldn’t at least be an option for most overrated of the year. The guy on the other side of the ring from him that night, Randy Orton made the list as an option, so Triple H should have as well.

Cena vs JBL Parking lot brawl was decent at best, **1/2 i must say it was never special. (JBL has never work good in his career, except for his feud with Eddie Guerrero in 2004, but nothing was **** in there feud). Lol That Big show vs John Cena match on last week's raw wasn't good at all. I do like slow wrestlers, but they needs to utelizes there ability properely. (i wouldnt say Orton is the top heel, Y2J is that.)
You started to ramble on here, so I’ll just take this time to ask where you get these ratings again since I see you used them twice in this paragraph.

I don't care what fans in attendance may think, Because tbh they are only mainsteam fans, they will come and go, while i have been watching wrestling for years. (so of those WWE fans enjoy Cryme Tyme wrestling and they aren't that special or enjoy R-truth What's Up, 2006 should call R-truth and tell him to write a new song)
Your personal enjoyment of a match in no way has to be affected by what the fans in attendance think. But if you are going to be rating matches and calling matches crap, you have to include how the overall audience felt about the match, not just if it entertained you or not.

I just want to clear one thing up in case you bring this up or someone else does. You might be thinking that the fans in attendance aren’t the only ones watching, there are also people at home watching. But at things like PPV’s especially where there are almost always at least 20,000 fans in attendance, it gives you a general feel of how the overall audience felt about the match. The fans in the audience are the same general fans as the ones watching at home.

Cena vs edge LMS was ****, while HHH Vs orton 1st LMS was a **** at No Mercy 2007.
A 2009 match is being compared to a 2007 match. How does this help your argument? And more star ratings? *sigh*

LOL Luger could only really have good Matches with Flair in the late 80's/early 90's, Vince made him marketable in the mid 90's(i'll give him that, but he wasn't anything unless he wrestled flair),
He wasn’t anything unless he wrestling Flair? Bullshit. He was over EVERYWHERE he went. And yes Vince pushed Luger hard and made him marketable, but are you going to tell me that Vince didn’t try like hell to get Owen over as a top heel? He beat Bret Hart on the same night that Bret went on to win the world title. That to me seems like Vince was pushing Owen pretty damn hard.

then when he went back to WCW he was worthless.
There are two possibilities here. You are either making shit up, or you never actually seen Luger in WCW. Luger made a HUGE splash by appearing at the first Nirto. That doesn’t seem “worthlessâ€. Lets also take a second to remember something. Eric Bischoff has gone on record as saying he never liked Lex Luger, but he brought him in anyways because he knew it was a good business move. So despite Bischoff’s personal dislike for Luger, he clearly didn’t see him as being “worthlessâ€. During 1997 when WCW was on top of the wrestling world, he was as popular of a star as you were going to find. Aside from Sting he was probably the most popular guy in WCW, except he actually wrestled on a weekly basis unlike Sting who had 1 match that year. To say that a guy who was incredibly popular in the top company in the U.S. at the time was worthless is beyond ridiculous.

While Owen hart was a top heel in 94/95
Thanks to Vince McMahon trying like hell to make him a star. The reason his big push only lasted two years was because the audience didn’t accept him as a top heel.

and he was a dude that was used to Put wrestler overs or tag with wrestlers to be put over
Because he failed as a main eventer so he was put into mid card tag teams with guys like Yokozuna.

(in 1997 Owen/Austin feud was great and it took austin to a newer level), I think owen Hart did a really good job of it.
It was great because Owen broke Austin’s neck and someone came up with the great t-shirt “Owen 3:16 says I just broke your neckâ€. I really don’t think Austin would have gotten a lot out of that feud had the accident not occurred. When they met at Summerslam where this accident took place, Austin was already a bigger star than Owen had EVER been in his career. Bret Hart was a great help in getting Austin over. His feud with Owen was basically just a carry over from his feud with Bret.

While Luger wasn't a good wrestler after the late 80's/early 90's.
He was mega over in both the WWF and WCW, as both a face and as a heel. So how the fuck wasn’t he any good?

i would rather see Owen Hart than Lex Luger.
So because YOU would rather watch Owen Hart over Lex Luger, that makes him a better wrestler? That’s kind of arrogant, don’t you think? The simple fact of the matter is that the masses wanted to see Lex Luger perform more than they wanted to see Owen Hart, meaning Luger was better at his job.

In fact the "Owen Hart Tribute show" scored a 7.2 rating in 1999. So it would tell you alot that people loved owen
Your point? Not once have I said that Owen Hart wasn’t over. I was merely responding to hometown kid asking me if I think Luger is better than Owen Hart. Hart wasn’t a bad wrestler and he was over with the audience, he just wasn’t as good as Lex Luger. Giving me the rating of the tribute show that took place one night after Owen’s death does NOTHING to help your argument that Owen is better than Lex Luger.

seX-Power

Next Big Thing said:
You started to ramble on here, so I’ll just take this time to ask where you get these ratings again since I see you used them twice in this paragraph.

It's his fucking opinion, is it that hard to accept?

Also, the TV MOTY is either Morrison/Bourne or Morrison/Punk or Morrison/Edge.

Jack Swagger's match with Matt Hardy was decent to good but the Finlay match sucked.

Chris Jericho's match with John Cena was alright but brought down by the finish. As much as they 'couldn't help it' it still takes away from the match and makes it worse, but I don't blame you for not realising, you've said some pretty dumb shit in your few posts.

King Of Kings

Reaction score
i have to say triple H Simply b/c how can you main event wrestlemania and Have a Bad Match giving the fans Nothing memorable about the match

It was pretty bad but thats because its hard to top taker vs hbk.

DENNIN

Reaction score
Gonna have to say Batista or John Morrison.