15 Reasons Why WCW Nitro Failed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

vickymania

Reaction score
credit : Gemini Baby Blu

In WWE's '15 Years of Raw' special magazine that was released on newsstands this past Tuesday, they put out a list on the top 15 reasons why WCW Monday Nitro failed. The Disco Inferno is the lone subject pictured in the feature. Here is the list:

15 Reasons Nitro Failed: Nothing compares to these shameful people and moments.

15. Tony Schiavone
14. nWo 2000
13. Anti-American Jim Duggan
12. Chavo Guerrero & Pepe
11. Vince Russo in the Pope Mobile
10. Matches in the Mall of America
09. Finger Poke of Doom (Kevin Nash drops to the mat to lose his title after Hulk Hogan pokes him on 1/4/99 Nitro)
08. The Magnificent Seven (2001 faction consisting of Ric Flair, Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Jeff Jarrett, Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell and Road Warrior Animal)
07. "Crazy" Ric Flair
06. New Blood vs. The Millionaires
05. Steve "Mongo" McMichael
04. Disco Inferno (pictured)
03. One Warrior Nation (short-lived 1998 faction consisting of Ultimate Warrior and The Disciple a.k.a. Brutus Beefcake)
02. Misfits in Action (2000 faction consisting of Hugh Morrus, Lash LeRoux, The Wall, Chavo Guerrero, Booker T, Tylene "Major Gunns" Buck and Vam Hammer)
01. David Arquette

WWE always comes up with great stuff to keep on burying WCW again and again! come on,its history now,lol..anyways,it makes a good reading,none the less

comments people whether you agree with WWe's 15 reasons

Soulpower

Like you said, its just WWE burying something that's already dead.

5. Kevin Nash's ego
4. Eric Bischoff's ego
3. Hulk Hogan's ego
2. Vince Russo's dumb idea's combined with his ego
1. Jamie Kellner

Those would be the reasons why Nitro failed.

15. Tony Schiavone

Tony wasn't as bad as people make him out to be, this probably stems from the butts in the seats comment... Now Mark Madden, he was terrible.

14. nWo 2000

Other than the Harris Brothers, NWO 2000 had some good guys on their group... But since WWE has problems with Bret, Jarrett and Steiner, this has to be on the list.

I'll give them this one... But I doubt that many people remember this.

Yeah, the crowd actually cared about Chavo during this angle... And how is this any different from Saturn and Moppy?

???

Wasn't that like the first Nitro? You know, the one that was held in the Mall of America? I don't think the first episode of Nitro caused the downfall of WCW. Hell, wasn't Nitro the show beating RAW in the ratings?

09. Finger Poke of Doom (Kevin Nash drops to the mat to lose his title after Hulk Hogan pokes him on 1/4/99 Nitro)

Probably should be higher on the list, but it did give both Nash and Hogan a ton of heat.

08. The Magnificent Seven (2001 faction consisting of Ric Flair, Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Jeff Jarrett, Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell and Road Warrior Animal)

Was not that bad of a stable, other than them relying heavily on authority figures. And once again, how many people remember this stable anyways?

07. "Crazy" Ric Flair

How is this any different from Crazy Vince blowing himself up?

Actually started well and had a ton of potential, once again.. This is Russo's fault, not the fault of the talent involved.

There were guys in WCW worse than him... Tank Abbott

Yeah, that's right.. Disco Inferno is why Nitro failed. At this point Vince nad his boys are just pulling things out of their ass.

03. One Warrior Nation (short-lived 1998 faction consisting of Ultimate Warrior and The Disciple a.k.a. Brutus Beefcake)

Random fact... When Ultimate Warrior first appeared in WCW, the ratings actually went up, and although WWE likes to say that the ratings went down as the segment wore on, its actually the opposite. But its Ultimate Warrior, and you know WWE isn't going to say anything good about him.

02. Misfits in Action (2000 faction consisting of Hugh Morrus, Lash LeRoux, The Wall, Chavo Guerrero, Booker T, Tylene "Major Gunns" Buck and Vam Hammer)

Some of those guys were talented, and WWE has had gimmicks that are just as bad.

01. David Arquette

WCW was half sunk by the time Arquette won the title.

Basically, this was probably done to stroke Vince's ego. You know, the same Vince who has booked himself to win the Royal Rumble, WWE and ECW titles? But yeah, WCW were the only ones making dumb decisions >_>

J

Pretty good list...I just don't agree with 2...The one about Chavo and Pepe...becuase that was probably the time that i liked Chavo the most...and the part about Disco Inferno...I luved the dude...It may have been because i was like 8 or 9...but the guy was awesome....

Soulpower

Who? lol

Taken from his Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Kellner

A 2005 book about World Championship Wrestling alleged that Kellner was the one who really "killed" the former powerhouse promotion. Although WCW was well on its way to its demise due to poor ratings (compared to WCW's then-principal rival the World Wrestling Federation, now known as World Wrestling Entertainment) and a financial crisis, former WCW president Eric Bischoff (through Fusient Media Ventures) was still interested in buying it and turning it around. However, Kellner thought that, even if WCW could once again attract viewers, the demographics would not be favorable enough to get the "right" advertisers to buy airtime. In early 2001, Kellner announced that TBS and TNT would no longer air wrestling shows. In March 2001, the WWF purchased WCW and its related assets. Due to what is considered the decline of the WWE product, many wrestling fans have denounced Kellner's actions in regards to WCW, blaming him for the fact that WWE owner Vince McMahon has a virtual monopoly on the professional wrestling market on the national level.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
credit : Gemini Baby Blu

In WWE's '15 Years of Raw' special magazine that was released on newsstands this past Tuesday, they put out a list on the top 15 reasons why WCW Monday Nitro failed. The Disco Inferno is the lone subject pictured in the feature. Here is the list:

15 Reasons Nitro Failed: Nothing compares to these shameful people and moments.

15. Tony Schiavone
14. nWo 2000
07. "Crazy" Ric Flair
01. David Arquette

No Doubt in my mind.

PeepShow

I wanna know who made that list. TO say that Tony Schiavone is one of the top 15 reasons that company failed is just complete and utter bullshit.

Anyways, thanks for the info SP.

vickymania

Reaction score
well,its true WCW Nitro had more viewing than WWF "RAW IS WAR"..hell,i used to watch WCW more than WWF that time cause atleast TNT aired then regularly and i loved the nitro girls!

This Guy

Yeah that list is not very accurate, I saw it a couple days ago. Some of it was pretty bad but I wouldn't say it ever killed WCW. Dispite how bad Eric Bischoffs book suposedly is according to most reviews, I think Eric's view on the demise of WCW is fairly accurate. It does seem to be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. Many former WCW talents have said the same thing....you just didn't know who your boss was. One would tell you there doing one thing and another would tell you something else.

PeepShow

^ I will say this. I despise reading, but when I saw Bischoff had a book coming out, I had to read it. Honestly, it was a very good read. He brought up some very good points and gave me a good history of what went down.

Montana

Nice list although, the storylines werent why WcW failed.

- The fact they WAY over paid for all those legends + Egos slowly killed wcw. It was great for the short term, although long term it was horrible. They had everyone from the 80's in large contracts, then you add hall, nash, bret hart, and a few more wwf stars, and it was too much. there roster was huge. The is the single most reason i think why it failed, you got all these egos, you have turner broadcasting, who know nothing about wrestling, trying to run the show.

- Ratings don't always equal $$$$. They were far to content about beating wwe rather than their own well being.

- Losing their young talent, They lost The Giant, Jericho, which then lead to the radicalz.

This is coming from a very pro wwf guy. I never once thought wcw was better. Even with all that talent, and the nwo, the storylines were never that great. The in ring action was better, but it was generally with the guys that no one cared about, at that time. The Cruisers weights mainly.

This is why i hate to see tna being in big money contracts without touring. They have to make some changes soon or else.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I will say usually the WWE are dead on with these, see their "curtain jerkers" but I will NOT sit idly by and watch them degrade the good name of PEPE!! That was one of the funniest things I had ever seen in WCW. And whoever did the research for this forgot about MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!