Zuffa Purchases Strikeforce

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ThomC

Reaction score
Source: Sherdog.com

Strikeforce is no longer the UFC’s biggest competitor.

In a video interview with Ariel Helwani posted to MMAFighting.com on Saturday morning, UFC President Dana White announced that Zuffa has purchased the San Jose, Calif.-based fight promotion.

“It's literally official right now. We literally just purchased Strikeforce,” said White. “I don't want to disclose any of the details on how the deal was done, but the reality is that we now own Strikeforce.”

White explained the reasons behind the purchase in the interview, stating that expanding Zuffa's talent pool was a necessary step to take as the promotion ventures into more international endeavors.

“As we go out and [continue to expand], we need more fights. Let's face facts. Strikeforce is a brand that fans have come to like and [the fans] enjoy the fights that they're putting on. So it made sense to us,” said White. “Our job is to put on the big fights that fans want to see, and as we continue to travel [abroad], we have to put on the right fights in these other countries.”

While White would not disclose the exact length of the negotiation period, the UFC boss did confirm that the buyout “happened quickly,” when asked if the talks lasted less than six months.

White then revealed that while Strikeforce is now the property of Zuffa, Scott Coker's promotion would not be dissolved. Rather, Strikeforce will continue to operate independently under the supervision of its new parent company.

“Strikeforce is going to continue to run -- business as usual. There are contracts in place, and we honor contracts. These guys pull good ratings on Showtime, and all of those contracts are going to be honored. These guys are going to remain Strikeforce fighters.”

White then elaborated on that concept, asserting that Coker would continue in his role as Strikeforce head, maintaining the promotion's operations and managing the talent. According to White, this means that Coker will have license to re-sign fighters at his discretion, including talents with whom White takes issue, such as Paul Daley and Josh Barnett.

“We've signed a deal with Scott Coker. He's staying on. You've seen me battle with guys over the years, but I’ve never had a bad thing to say about Scott Coker. I’ve known Scott since the K-1 days. Scott is a good guy.”

-------------------

It'll be interesting to see what happens with guys like Nick Diaz, Paul Daley, and others who don't like UFC and Dana White. Paul Daley apparently has been talking shit about this since he felt screwed by UFC dropping him after his fight with Koscheck. Not sure about any of the Strikeforce fighters contracts, but I'm sure we will see some title unifications depending on who stays and who goes to another company.

As much as I like Nick Diaz, I think GSP would almost walk through him. Dan Henderson (the SF LH champ) is another interesting piece in this thing. He pretty much just left UFC. Henderson vs Shogun or Bones Jones would be a quality fight.

ThomC

Reaction score
I guess they aren't going to merge the two companies yet. But keep Strikeforce as it's own company, sort of like what they did with WEC before they merged, just keep them under the Zuffa umbrella.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
In the grand scheme of things, this is bad for MMA as a sport.

Exactly. UFC itself was doing so much better with Strikeforce... this has literally just slaughtered a lot of the momentum UFC was going to have. I want to know the specifics of the deal though, because Dana doesn't shut up about anything unless his lawyers tell him to, and even then he likes to blurt shit out.

nation

Reaction score
Fuck! We already lost Pride and WEC, now this? I'm sure eventually Strikeforce will be forced to merge with the UFC, sigh, bullshit.

Reaction score
Wonder what this means for Strikeforce's heavyweight tournament. And if Lesnar get's bombed by De Los Santos, do we finally get a Fedor-Lesnar matchup, which will essentially amount to nothing since both will be washed up by then?

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Wonder what this means for Strikeforce's heavyweight tournament. And if Lesnar get's bombed by De Los Santos, do we finally get a Fedor-Lesnar matchup, which will essentially amount to nothing since both will be washed up by then?

Yeah, yet WWE has a lock on the wrestling industry and there's nothing wrong with that? Competition is more bad than good in MMA. I rather just put all my trust in the UFC to put on good shows and we have lesser 'what if' matches because all the top fighters, sans Eddie Alvarez and Hector Lombard, are under the same banner so we can see the best matches and no co-promotional bullshit.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Yeah, yet WWE has a lock on the wrestling industry and there's nothing wrong with that? Competition is more bad than good in MMA. I rather just put all my trust in the UFC to put on good shows and we have lesser 'what if' matches because all the top fighters, sans Eddie Alvarez and Hector Lombard, are under the same banner so we can see the best matches and no co-promotional bullshit.

Yeah, except WWE is hoping TNA can bring them some competition to help build the wrestling word back up. Vince waited for WCW to pretty much die out to buy it... he picked the bones.

Dana White just slaughtered the fattest hog in his kingdom and is prepping it for feast now. He got no substantial draw off of the competition Strikeforce would have brought (and let's be completely fucking real, Strikeforce wasn't going to supplant UFC solely because UFC's name holds so much drawpower alone). Had Dana given Strikeforce time to grow and compete with UFC, it would have brought even more credibility to the world of MMA.

Reaction score
^^^^It's bad because it's a legitimate sport that is being ran like a wrestling promotion rather than an actual league and having one governing body with only one group of owners absolutely sucks for the fighters. The UFC is covering their hedge by sucking up all the closest competitors because the athletes will have nowhere to go and will have to settle for what little they get in regards to what they draw. It's very bad for a sport in it's infancy, the UFC is trying to draw off it's name instead of it's athletes, they're taking after the WWF business model instead of a legitimate sport.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^Not to mention half of these guys went to Strikeforce when Pride and WEC went out of business so they could avoid going to UFC because they don't want to dick around with Dana White. When I look at this deal though, and Dana not spewing whatever he can about it right away, it feels a lot like he's giddy because he has obtained Fedor's contract in some capacity... and we all know Fedor wants NOTHING to do with Dana White. He couldn't say it was competition anymore because UFC does have competition for Fedor... and UFC was offering nearly 4x what anyone else could so it wasn't about cash. Fedor has never liked the way Dana does business, and this deal (while maybe way more in favor of other factors) seems like it has a LOT to do with Dana getting to Fedor in some way.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Question is, when will Shane McMahon go on TV skipping along the octagon?

But yeah, when I heard this news it didn't sound that great. Strikeforce was kinda like TNA in the early years, few veterans with a lot of young talent on the roster and now there's gonna be this long list of fantasy fights with the big names from Strikeforce against UFC fighters. Nothing about this deal can seem good, unless someone can tell me different.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Aw C'mon guys, I love Strikeforce for what it is, but its events could really use the UFC hype machine. And more UFC events can't be a bad thing.

Plus, UFC has always been a model organization. How many times have they given the winning purses to the losers when it closes. It's as perfect as it is right now. I refuse to watch MMA become boxing where putting on a match is such a joke. If it's a team sport, then we can have several teams and owners. But this is an individual sport and putting all the best fighters together is always a good thing.