Your ten most overrated finishers in the WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
What the title says. List your ten most overrated finishers in the WWE. Please give a reason as well so we truly can have a discussion. I will be using a list taken off of Bleacher Report since I agreed with all the finishers, I just moved some of them around a bit to suit my personal opinion and taste.

10. White noise - Sheamus second most resent finisher is overrated in my opinion because it is used by Sheamus. Before Sheamus it was known as the Celtic Cross and was used by Finlay, the difference being that Finlay almost never won a match by only using it, but when used by Sheamus it ends the match no questions asked.

9. Attitude Adjustment - Cena's Fireman's carry slam just doesn't look as devastating as it should. He is the most unstoppable wrestler on the roster but his finisher is basically throwing someone onto their back. Just changing it slightly to more resemble a Death Valley Driver would do all the difference.

8. What the Funk - For someone the size of Brodus Clay his finisher is a bit underwhelming. I would prefer to see his finisher as more of a feat of strength instead of just him jumping on top of his opponent.

7. The Souvenir - Wade Barrett's new finisher ends up here partially because it is a rip off of Kassius Ohno's finisher (which he does better by the way) but also because the Wasteland looked much more impressive than the Souvenir.

6. 619 - The 619 has a special place in a lot of hearts. If there was a Hall of Fame for terrible wrestling finishers, this Rey Mysterio gem can snuggle in right by the atomic leg drop of Hulk Hogan and down the hall of The Ultimate Warrior literally just splashing on an opponent. It hasn't stopped Mysterio from using the move constantly since coming to WWE, as the finisher has made him a multi-time world champion in the company.

Does it seem unusual to anyone else that no superstars ever seem to fall into the middle rope unless Mysterio is somehow involved? It just isn't a natural place for a superstar to fall to and makes for a very unusual and awkward placement simply for a move. Rarely is there ever another finishing maneuver that requires such a specific placement of a superstar in the ring. God forbid that the match is outside of the ring, then it is almost not able to be performed at all.

5. Rough Ryder - I am a Ryder fan but I also believe he needs a new finisher. His finisher just doesn't have that much impact to be taken seriously. It is basically a jumping leg onto your head, if he switched it up with the Broski Boot or got a new finisher it would seem more impactful. But since there are rumors of him getting a new finisher soon because of CW and WWE wanting to prime Ryder as a top guy for Saturday Morning Slam that might soon be seen.

4. Brogue Kick - The most dangerous move in WWE as of late has been the Brogue Kick from Sheamus. It's really nothing more than a bicycle kick, but this has taken on an entirely new meaning for Sheamus. Apparently, when Irish people ride a bicycle, it is with more force than anyone else in the world. Those in the Tour de France would be wise to listen up to that.

3. GTS - CM Punk used to want his opponents to Go to Sleep, the meaning of the abbreviated GTS that was his primary finisher for a long time. It has now been used to a lesser degree, probably because even Punk can realize that a GTS can only do so much damage. The beginning looks a lot like John Cena's Attitude Adjustment, only to have Punk drop the opponent off his shoulders and directly onto one of his knees.

It looks pretty gruesome at first, but it ultimately looks like it hurts Punk more than anyone else. It's basically the collision of a human skull, made of hard bone, and a knee, comprised of basic cartilage and sensitive ligaments. If anything is getting broken in this matchup, I don't like the knee's chances.

2. RKO - Randy Orton's finisher, known as the RKO, is the latest in a long line of cutter finishers. Instead of a Stone Cold Stunner, which included a kick to the groin first, the RKO can happen in an instant, as Orton simply grabs your neck and slams it to the ground as the rest of your body follows behind. It isn't that this move doesn't look painful, but it has been built up over the years as such a damaging move that any advantage can be neutralized with just one RKO.

The name is clever as well, since the three letters are Orton's initials. His full name is Randy Keith Orton. As for what I make it stand for, I like to think that it stands for Ridiculous Knockout.

No matter how fresh you are in a match, just one of these RKOs can have you counting the lights on the ceiling of the arena. After all of the slams and shots to the body taken, a basic cutter does the trick?

1. WMD - As strong as the gigantic Big Show is, the most damaging part of him is a closed fist? What is this that I am watching? What stops this seven-foot monster from just trying to punch an opponent once in the face the entire match?

At this rate, Big Show doesn't need to do anything else. Forget about your suplexes and slams. Just keep swinging until you hit something. This also defies logic when Big Show has been seen in past matches throwing punches, which were apparently not as effective. I guess some fist pumping like he is trying to tell an 18-wheeler to honk his horn is a suitable way to focus the energy directly to his already over-sized fist.

What are yours? :dawg:

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
cba with 10 but

#1 is Chokeslam

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
#10 - The people's elbow
#9 - starship pain
#8 - Clothesline from Hell
#7 - 619
#6 - RKO
#5 - Sleeper hold
#4 - Complete Shot
#3 - Backsuplex
#2 - Skull crushing finale
#1 - Chokeslam

Brother Loathe

Ah Loathe Yewwwwww
Reaction score
10. Hulk Hogan's leg drop. :blown: It would hurt, but not such much to be the finisher of the 'greatest of all time'.

9. Spear. Just running at the opponent and basically tackling them at not even full speed.

8. People's elbow. Elbow to the chest, that's it really. Not that painful.

7. Rock Bottom/Book End. Side slam, not even painful enough for a finisher again, just a slam, like when you trip over.

6. RKO. It's not a 'Get you down for 3 count' more like a second 'ow, bitch.' kinda move.

5. Andre the Giant's headbutt. Why.. is this even a finisher? It's not THAT painful, even with Andre's size.

4. Chokeslam. Grab them by the throat, and throw them to the ground from 7 feet in the air. Still not painful enough to be a finisher.

3. Cross Body. It would hurt, but you would be able to get out if it was a pin from a super heavyweight.

2. World's strongest slam, not really. He's a powerful dude, but it's still just a slam though.

1. Attitude Adjustment/Fireman's Carry Slam - From the shoulders of Cena, who's not that tall, to the ground. Worst finisher in wrestling, imo.

arianna

The Showoff
Reaction score
10- Brogue Kick
9- Code Breaker
8- RKO
7- Chokeslam
6- Shooting Star Press
5- Marching around the ring
4- Attitude Adjustment
3- Moonsault Side Slam
2- Pedigree
1- "No!" Lock

Jose Tortilla

Champion
Reaction score
Pretty funny how your list has all the same finishers as Bleacher Report's overrated finishers list..

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I agree with it though.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
It's funny to me that the majority of finishers are usually nowhere near the most hurtful moves that are inflicted on someone during a match. A superplex is usually more painful than most wrestler's finishers. To me, that's just part of the cartoonish nature of wrestling that I kinda like - just because a wrestler calls a certain move his 'finishing' move, it's supposed to be 10x hurtful when he does it than when anyone else does it.