Xbox 720 pre-owned games block 'would be fantastic,' says dev

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
43f77d7119.jpg

The next Xbox's rumored move to block used games would be "a fantastic change for our business," says Volition designer Jameson Durall. Writing via the AltDevBlog, the Red Faction: Armageddon man claims the general public don't appreciate how much pre-owned game sales are hurting developers, and welcomes rumours that the Xbox 720 could introduce a platform-wide online pass system - throttling the pre-owned market. "There's another big rumor about the next Xbox console that could really start to shake things up... it won't play used games at all," Durall writes. "Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business and even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first... they will grow to understand why and that it won't kill them." He adds: "The system is already there for Microsoft, all they'd have to do is use the DLC and codes model they have to tie a game to your Xbox live account.

"Each retail disc would likely need that unique key somewhere in the code so the account would be able to link it properly. Ideally it would tie a full version to the console it is registered on so family members can play even if the main account isn't signed in, but this is exactly how their model works now anyway." The designer admits the proposed system would have faults, but goes on to suggest issues such as game rental and lending games to friends could be ironed out by Microsoft. "I could see Microsoft implementing their own rental service which would maybe give them a code that activates the game for X days and they are charged a small amount," he says. "This could work when you borrow the disc from someone or even with digital download of the full version. It would also send a percentage of the rental to the Developer with each rental... likely improving the overall revenue we would receive from it."
I don't think it will happen but I seriously hope this doesn't go through, I do buy many games but I can't fork out $100 or $110 or $120 for each new release game that I want that comes out so I like borrowing games from others or renting them. If they were to do this, it would be bad for them too as I'm sure that many (and maybe even myself) would switch to PS3 or PC gaming.

Microsoft are just being money hungry, they're already worth billions and charge for online where PS3 don't.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Don't have a X-Box, never had a X-Box and never will and stuff like this doesn't help. People buy used games because they try and charge you a arm and a leg for a damn game. So all I hope is that Playstation don't start doing stuff like this too.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
What a silly idea.

I don't think they realise that killing off the pre-owned market will hurt sales just as much.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I hope Microsoft follows through with this, I really do.

Because Sony will fucking destroy them in sales. It would cause absolute chaos with their distributors too, I'm willing to bet GameStop (who practically lives and dies by the sales of used games) would consider outright dropping their advertising from stores, their website, maybe even stop selling their games all together depending on bad it pisses them off.

Don't think that's far-fetched either. Just about everyone did it to Sega when they released Saturn the way they did, and Sega was still a top competitor at the time. Fuck with your distributors and bad things happen. Look where Sega is now.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That's what I thought about as well cause Gamestop always has different kinds of deals with used games and trade ins. Esp with the power up card deals with that stuff so would almost be pointless for Gamestop to have their games in the store if they went through with this cause it wouldn't help Gamestop any and it won't help X-Box like they think it will. Like I said all I hope is that PS isn't dumb to jump on board with this as this just makes them look better.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
PS3 won't their main focus is to upgrade their console to make it better for games and DVD plus they even have their own renting and buying DVDs through the PlayStation network and it is building fast if I didn't work at a video store I would get movies through there.

hyourinmaru

Reaction score
well if they go through with this they lost me as a customer. I only buy pre-owned games because I'm a poor fucker.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Microsoft won't win themselves fan points but could win themselves vendor points. Many companies might sign exclusive deals with them to make games because they simply do not get money for people buying used or renting.

At the end of the day, I'd get a PS4 first anyhow. If Sega's balls dropped again, I'd but them next. Then I'd get a xbox and wii

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
As if the videogame industry wasn't already the most backwards-moving in the entertainment business. While the music and film industries take initiatives to progress and innovate to counter the competitor of piracy with iTunes and Netflix, videogame publishers continue to fuck their consumers with excessive DLC, online passes that lock out online multiplayer to consumers that buy used games or rent out games, the alienation of offline gamers by shifting the nature of gaming to focus on online elements..... Just milking as much money from consumers as much as possible while making things inconvenient and difficult for them at the same time.

Then having the fucking nerve to treat gamers like thiefs and criminals because a percentage of them chose the alternative of piracy? And, although its still just a rumor, the industry's alleged plan is to remove the used game market? Makes no sense to me.

The Volition developer is wrong, I won't get "up in arms" about it. I'll buy a different console.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
I have never liked X-Box in the first place the first one had problems galore and the 360 you knock it and the red light of death starts and this new console will be no better in fact it'll probably fall apart.

As for DLC I don't like it but I do think its a smart idea because lets face it yes you'll have to pay a couple of bucks extra but the DLC is usually worth the price for example I had to pay $15 for the fan axcess in WWE 12 on PS3 and it gave me all the stuff for in that which individually would've been twice as much, could they have put them into the game maybe but they probably have a limit and want to add some extra stuff later.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Although their over-the-phone customer service can be rather... futile, I do respect Microsoft for the warranties they offer Xbox 360 owners. They recognise their hardware can be unreliable and that the Xbox's infamous Red Ring problem is unfortunately common, so they put a lot of focus and seriousness into ensuring the consumer's trust with warranties that assure the owner's console will be returned in just a couple of weeks fixed or issued a brand new one, free of charge.

My first 360 red ringed after I'd had it for just 3 years, but Microsoft reimbursed me with a new console free, quickly and through an easy process. Whereas Sony and Apple, for example, would basically say to me "fuck you, buy a new one".

So Microsoft has a lot of goodwill with me based off my experience with them. But this is a move that will strike another heavy blow to the gaming industry. It doesn't affect me anymore because I have more money now and I tend to find better deals online anyway, but I can't support this.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Haven't the RROD errors been fixed for quite a few years now with recently manufactured consoles?

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
To be fair every time I called in to get my last X-Box fixed I just ended up dealing with people that didn't know how to do their job. You guys must be lucky.