Xbox 720 Might Not Have Disc Drive

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kellie

Reaction score
xbox_720_40312.jpg

If your shelf space is limited, the next Xbox console might be just what you need. A new report suggests that Microsoft will not be including a disc drive in the system.

Sources tell MCV that the new Xbox will be compatible with solid-state card storage. These storage cards might or might not have a new format. Regardless, the console will be focused mostly on digital content

A digital-only console seems fitting for Microsoft. The current generation of consoles started with a war between two competing HD optical discs: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray. Once the Blu-ray won out in 2008, everyone assumed that Microsoft would offer an external Blu-ray drive for the 360. Instead, the company simply dove further into digital content. They expanded Xbox Live by adding downloadable Xbox 360 games and streaming services like Netflix, among other features. While DVDs are starting to feel a bit cramped - some games now ship on two discs on 360 - the fact is that Microsoft didn't need a Blu-ray drive to keep their console relevant. By going digital, they no longer had to worry about format wars.

As MCV points out, though, a download-centric console will make traditional retailers nervous. GameStop, for example, makes much of its money off the sale of boxed games. They also make a tidy profit from buying back used games and selling them for slightly cheaper than new copies. If the gaming industry goes full digital, retailers would need to drastically change their business model. GameStop's anticipation of such a sea change is probably why they decided to buy digital store Impulse last year.

The report suggests that Xbox will launch in 2013. The timing of the announcement isn't certain. Other rumors have suggested that Microsoft will reveal Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) at this summer's E3.

"Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships," Microsoft said in a statement issued to MCV. "We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

cinemablend

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
If that is the console, or what the console may look like, that is pretty damn cool. Although I am not a fan of doing everything digital, it makes sense for them. I just wonder what they are going to charge for XBox live and if that is the only way you can get games is if you buy XBox live.

W-olf

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking , no disc to scratch or friends to ask to borrow a game and never return it or do return it only to find scratches thats a plus but I don't want everything digital either.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I'm not fully sure if I like this, I kinda do but it sucks for the reason that I sometime borrow my cousins games and with this it be no way for me to do that. I think it be cool if they did it so you could download them if you wanted but also let you buy a disk or something as some people like to collect cases and things like that and this would kill that part of the gaming for me and a few others.

W-olf

Reaction score
I'm not fully sure if I like this, I kinda do but it sucks for the reason that I sometime borrow my cousins games and with this it be no way for me to do that.

I thought of that too and my guess would be away around that or Im just really cheap lol .

For instance there would be HDD and then take it to your cousins and you could just redownload the game to your hdd

or possibly even Flash drive it ...

On second thought Im just cheap lol .

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
It would also be easier to pirate the games. They will find away around any security in a matter of days and jailbreak those bitches.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
the one pictured is ugly as hell.

Sort of the obvious step to take, but like B, I still prefer the disc format.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I prefer disc format as well. Just cause I like having the cases to display. The downfall is the scratches, but if you're careful that is never a problem.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I prefer disc format as well. Just cause I like having the cases to display. The downfall is the scratches, but if you're careful that is never a problem.

Same here, I like it when people come round browse through my CD, DVD and games collection, it's always a good convo topic.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Yeah, and you know exactly what you have and don't have to search for anything. You find the case, take out what movie/game/music you want and boom. It is in the player.

W-olf

Reaction score
I have em in a big storage binder thing and throw out the cases but keep the books Im weird that way lol .

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I know a lot of people that throw out the cases. I am not one of those people. :lol: I only use the storage binders for movies and music that I burn.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I love having cases I don't know why :lol: and then when it's a special edition one then it's that much better

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
This is stupid imo. Say bye bye to cheap pre-owned games that work the same as new games. I much prefer the disk format.

Reactions: 1 person

Postman Dave

Reaction score
This is stupid imo. Say bye bye to cheap pre-owned games that work the same as new games. I much prefer the disk format.

That's a good point actually, it'd kill the pre-owned market dead. I like the pre-owned market :(