WWF/E 2002: A Ruthless Reset

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

BookerMan

Reaction score
First off: I don't foresee myself continuing the AEW thread. I miscalculated how much I would dislike booking a company that's currently on the air and that I typically enjoy on a weekly basis. I think beginning a thread focusing on a product that I have much larger gripes with will ultimately be more conducive to a better thought process and more creative ideas.

That said, welcome to the WWF/E 20002 thread! I'll be starting the night after the 2002 Royal Rumble with RAW. The following posts will detail the roster, the TV and PPV schedule and anything else that I feel needs to be established before beginning shows.

Thanks for all the love on the AEW thread, and hopefully this one will be well received as well.

Reactions: Hoss and BattleTank

BookerMan

Reaction score
WWF ROSTER (AS OF 1/21/02)

MEN
Al Snow
Albert
Big Boss Man
Big Show
Billy Kidman
Billy
Booker T
Bradshaw
Bubba Ray Dudley
Bull Buchanan
Chavo Guerrero
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho (WWF UNDISPUTED CHAMPION)
Chris Kanyon
Christian (EUROPEAN CHAMPION)
Chuck
Crash Holly
D'Lo Brown
D-Von Dudley
Diamond Dallas Page
Edge
Faarooq
Funaki
Goldust
Hardcore Holly
Jeff Hardy
Jerry Lynn
Justin Credible
Kane
Kurt Angle
Lance Storm
Mark Henry
Matt Hardy
Maven
Mike Awesome
Mr. Perfect
Perry Saturn
Raven
Rhyno
Ric Flair (CO-OWNER)
Rikishi
Rob Van Dam
Scotty 2 Hotty
Sean O'Haire
Shawn Stasiak
Spike Dudley (WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPION)
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Steven Richards
Tajiri
(CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION)
Tazz (WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPION)
Test
The Godfather
The Hurricane
The Rock
The Undertaker
(HARDCORE CHAMPION)
Tommy Dreamer
Triple H
Val Venis
William Regal
(INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION)
X-Pac

WOMEN
Ivory
Jacqueline
Jazz
Lita
Mighty Molly
Stacy Keibler
Torrie Wilson
Trish Stratus
(WWF WOMENS CHAMPION)

NON-WRESTLERS
Shane McMahon
Stephanie McMahon
Vince McMahon (CO-OWNER)
Paul Heyman
Terri Runnels
Jerry Lawler
Jim Ross
Jonathan Coachman
Kevin Kelly
Michael Cole
Lilian Garcia
Tony Chimel
Howard Finkel

TAG TEAMS/STABLES
APA - Bradshaw and Faarooq
Team Xtreme - Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Lita
Dudley Boyz - Bubba Ray Dudley, D-Von Dudley, Stacy Keibler
Scotty 2 Hotty and Albert
Billy and Chuck
The Hurricane and Mighty Molly
Al Snow and Maven

Last edited:

BookerMan

Reaction score
WWF 2002 PROGRAMMING SCHEDULE

WEEKLY SHOWS:

MONDAY NIGHT RAW - 9/8c on TNN
THURSDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN! - 8/7c on UPN

SUNDAY NIGHT HEAT - 7/6c on MTV

PAY-PER-VIEW SCHEDULE 2002:
NO WAY OUT - FEB. 17 - MILWAUKEE, WI
WRESTLEMANIA X-8 - MAR. 17 - TORONTO, ON, CA
BACKLASH - APR. 21 - KANSAS CITY, MO
INSURREXTION - MAY 4 - LONDON, EN
JUDGMENT DAY - MAY 19 - NASHVILLE, TN
KING OF THE RING - JUN. 23 - COLUMBUS, OH
VENGEANCE - JUL. 21 - DETROIT, MI
GLOBAL WARNING - AUG. 10 - MELBOURNE, AUS
SUMMERSLAM - AUG. 25 - LONG ISLAND, NY
UNFORGIVEN - SEP. 22 - LOS ANGELES, CA
NO MERCY - OCT. 20 - NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR
REBELLION - OCT. 26 - MANCHESTER, EN
SURVIVOR SERIES - NOV. 17 - NEW YORK, NY
ARMAGEDDON - DEC. 15 - SUNRISE, FL

ROYAL RUMBLE 2002 RESULTS:

WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Spike Dudley and Tazz (c) def. The Dudley Boyz w/ Stacy Keibler

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
William Regal def. Edge (c)

WWF WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
SPECIAL GUEST REFEREE: Jacqueline
Trish Stratus (c) def. Jazz

STREET FIGHT
Ric Flair def. Vince McMahon

WWF UNDISPUTED CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Chris Jericho (c) def. The Rock

30-MAN ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH
Triple H wins by last eliminating Kurt Angle

Last edited:
Reactions: BattleTank

BookerMan

Reaction score
raw post brand split logo.png

1/21/02
from the BI-LO Center in Greenville, South Carolina

*PYRO*

*Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler welcome us to the show*

BREAK THE WALLS DOWN

The night begins with the arrival of “The Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla” and our Undisputed Champion, Chris Jericho. Clearly feeling the effects of his match with The Rock last night, he makes his way to the ring dressed flamboyantly in a sequined black and red shirt as well as matching pants. He lugs both of his title belts into the ring with him after posing on the ropes and soaking in boos from the rowdy South Carolina audience before grabbing a microphone and positioning his belts over each of his shoulders as he begins to speak.
Y2J: Welcome to… RAW! IS! JERICHOOOOO!

While this catchphrase may have garnered cheers just a couple months ago, it now sends the already raucous crowd into a chorus of boos while Jericho laughs and brushes off their visceral reaction.

Y2J: And as you can see, I’ve still got both these illustrious belts with me, so I guess that makes all of you WRONG! If you didn’t believe that I was the greatest wrestler of all time when I beat Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock in the same night back at Vengeance, what more do I need to do to prove it to all of you now that I’ve beaten The Rock? Maybe you want me to have a steel cage match with Andre The Giant. Maybe I need to bring Bret Hart out of retirement and make him tap out to the Walls of Jericho! Or maybe… nothing I do will ever be good enough for you people.

The boos sustain themselves as Jericho scowls at the crowd.

Y2J: Yeah, that’s exactly it, isn’t it? No matter how many matches I win, how many of your heroes fail to take the Undisputed Title from me, all you’ll ever see me as is the guy from last year that couldn’t win the big one. Well guess what? I’ve won ALL the big ones, baybay! I beat The Rock THREE TIMES! I was on the team that put WCW and ECW in the dirt once and for all! I beat Stone Co-

Jericho’s boasts are interrupted as the GLASS SHATTERS, and the Texas Rattlesnake storms to the ring to thunderous applause! Jericho is clearly shaken by the appearance of Stone Cold himself, looking around as if he’s scouting an escape route should Austin want to do more than just talk it out once he gets to the ring. Austin brushes right past Jericho, colliding shoulders with him en route to acquiring a microphone and offering a response.

Stone Cold: Y’know I was backstage just now trying to get my night started with a beer or two, but I just couldn’t relax because all I could hear was our dumbass of a champion running his mouth!

The crowd eats up everything Austin says, and this line is no different.

Stone Cold: But that’s alright, from time to time I’ve been known to run my mouth a little bit myself. And hell, you earned it I guess since you got both those titles over your shoulders. Yeah, you beat The Rock (crowd: WHAT?), you beat Stone Cold Steve Austin (crowd: WHAT?), you beat The Rock again (crowd: WHAT?)...

Jericho, like a fool, actually begins to nod along with Stone Cold, believing that this rundown of his accomplishments actually comes from a genuine place.

Stone Cold: …but the only reason you did any of that, is because you got all the help in the damn world! Your little Canadian buddies Christian and Lance Storm had to save your ass last night, Vince McMahon had to save your ass at Vengeance, but there ain’t a damn thing that can save your yella’ ass when you get in the ring with me again!

Jericho is infuriated by Austin’s statement, but clearly looks to back down from the challenge the Rattlesnake just issued.

Y2J: Well I don’t know if you noticed, Austin, but you came up short in the Royal Rumble last night! The next time I defend my titles, it’ll be at WrestleMania against Triple H! Because I earned the right to main event WrestleMania fair and square!

Jericho turns red in the face as he throws this tantrum into the microphone, while Austin simply laughs and waits for his turn to respond.

Stone Cold: Well hell, son, I didn’t mean to get ya’ all worked up. Let me see if I can make my point a little clearer this time: all I was saying is that I’m gonna whoop your ass and take those titles and there ain’t a damn thing you can do to stop me. AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE - BECAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!

Austin’s music hits and he stomps out of the ring, leaving Jericho fuming despite the fact that his challenge was denied. Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler send the show to break while opining about Austin’s challenge, with JR openly hoping Austin is able to get his title match and dethrone the Undisputed Champion.

RAW Line Break.png

When RAW returns from break, Rob Van Dam makes his way to the ring to a wild ovation. He’s followed by his opponent, X-Pac, who is not met with the same warmth to say the least.

Rob Van Dam vs X-Pac
Right from the jump, it becomes obvious that X-Pac is outclassed by the former Hardcore Champion. RVD has a counter for all of X-Pac’s moves, and when X-Pac manages a counter of his own, he’s quickly re-countered by The Whole F’n Show. X-Pac finally resorts to cheating to mount a little bit of offense, taking advantage of a mispositioned referee to hit a low blow and work over Van Dam for a couple minutes. Eventually, though, RVD proves to be too much, countering an attempt at the X-Factor with a stepover spinning heel kick and landing the Five Star Frog Splash for a relatively easy victory.

Winner: Rob Van Dam (6:39)

Van Dam heads back up the ramp celebrating with the audience while X-Pac slaps the mat in frustration and refuses help from the official while slowly making his way out of the ring.

Backstage, we see Chris Jericho standing across from Vince McMahon, angrily pleading his case.

Y2J: I mean, did you see that?! That was a disgrace! You can’t tell me that Stone Cold is getting the next shot at the Undisputed Title, right?

Vince: Of course not, Chris, you’ve got nothing to worry about! Let’s be honest - I run this place. Do you think I’d ever give that disrespectful redneck another shot at the title for as long as I’m in charge.

Jericho gathers himself and nods, patting Vince on the shoulder and thanking him for the decision.

When we return to the arena, Jim Ross is beside himself at Vince’s ruling that Austin won’t receive a shot at Jericho, while Lawler touts Vince as a cunning businessman and says that Austin hasn’t earned a shot. The disagreement on commentary is interrupted as Mr. Perfect’s music hits and he makes his way to the ring for his first singles match under the WWF banner since 1993.

Out next is his opponent, Crash Holly, who stomps to the ring and is seemingly eager to go toe-to-toe with one of the most famous wrestlers from his childhood.

Mr. Perfect vs Crash Holly
Crash, despite being notoriously agile and evasive, is unable to find an answer for Mr. Perfect basically from the second the bell rings. Perfect controls the match from start to finish, keeping Crash contained in the corner and not allowing him to begin his usual antics. The match comes to an impressive and merciful end when Mr. Perfect lands the Perfectplex, hooking the leg with immaculate technique for an easy three count.

Winner: Mr. Perfect (4:04)

Perfect leaves the ring taunting the crowd and hyping his own ability up to the camera, then commentary tosses to the backstage area where Terri Runnels is standing by with Trish Stratus.

Terri: Thanks JR, I’m standing here right now with the Womens Champion Trish Stratus, who had a lot to overcome last night in order to keep her title by defeating Jazz with Jacqueline acting as guest referee. Later on tonight, Jazz will go one-on-one with Jacqueline in a match that I know Trish will be keeping a close eye on. Trish, where do you think you can go from here?

Trish: Actually Terri that’s a good question. See I’ve found myself in Jazz’s crosshairs more than once since I won this title at Survivor Series, and it doesn’t seem like she’s got any plans to stop. And I have no problem with that, you know, I won’t turn away from a challenger as strong as Jazz is - but I think it’s time that somebody else in this division shows me something. Or else… you never know - I might be keeping this belt Stratusfied for a long, long time.

Trish smiles at Terri before stepping away while the show fades to a break.

RAW Line Break.png

When the show returns, we’re shown the RAW Slam of the Week, focusing on Maven eliminating The Undertaker from the Royal Rumble just last night after Undertaker was distracted by Team Xtreme. This recap fades out and reveals The Undertaker standing backstage in his bandana and sunglasses, both hands gripping the belt supporting his pants while the Hardcore Title rests sloppily over his shoulder. Next to him stands Jonathan Coachman, visibly nervous to be so close to the volatile Phenom.
Coach: So… Undertaker… last night, you-

Undertaker: Lemme stop you right there, Coach. And you don’t gotta be so nervous, man. Straighten up! You ain’t got nothin’ to worry about. See, I came to grips with it already. Yeah, I got caught off guard by that young punk Maven and eliminated - but that’s MY fault. I shoulda’ known better. And besides, I think he got the message when I busted him in the head with that steel chair and tossed his ass through a popcorn machine.

Taker reflects on his actions for a moment before pointing into the camera.

Undertaker: So that’s to say, I don’t regret it one bit! Maven’s a talented young kid, and if he’s cut out for the WWF like the people that voted him to win Tough Enough thought he was, he’ll nut up and fight me once that wound on his forehead closes up. As for the Hardy Boyz, well, we already know they can’t come at me one on o-

Undertaker is interrupted as he’s jumped from behind by Matt Hardy, who uses the surprise advantage to batter Big Evil towards the curtain, eventually emerging from backstage into the arena full of roaring fans! Matt chases Undertaker all the way to the ring, pounding him with punches and eventually landing the Twist of Fate! It’s at this point that Jeff Hardy and Lita sprint out from the curtain with referee Mike Chioda in tow, and with the 24/7 rule in effect, Matt Hardy nearly gets a three count to capture the Hardcore Championship, but Undertaker kicks out! Matt and Jeff turn this into a two-on-one now, with Lita cheering them on from the outside of the ring.

Jeff perches himself on top for the Swanton Bomb while Matt looks to take Undertaker down with another Twist of Fate, but Taker shoves Matt towards the ropes and he inadvertently crotches his own brother. Taker drills Matt with a chokeslam, then pulls Jeff off the turnbuckles and plants him into the canvas with the Last Ride. As The Deadman is shaking off the cobwebs, he notices Lita checking on her team and he begins to step towards her. At this moment, Maven sprints out with a steel chair and beelines for the man that busted him open the night prior.

Taker sees the fiery Maven coming and decides to get out of dodge, calmly exiting the ring just as Maven slides in. Taker gives Maven a nod of approval from the floor as the Tough Enough winner yells out at him and points at his bandaged forehead to warn Undertaker of what he’ll do to him with his steel chair.

The shot fades backstage again, where Vince McMahon is sitting in his office talking to someone on the phone, making extremely vague nods before saying “I have to go, I’ll call you back” and then hanging up as his office door opens and in walks Ric Flair to a loud ovation from this biased South Carolina crowd. Flair approaches McMahon’s desk and Vince stands up, snarling at the Nature Boy as they stand across from one another.

Flair: Don’t worry Vince, I’m not here to make you tap out again.

Naitch’s teeth might as well sparkle when he flashes a smile at Vince, who gives him a look of pure anger and disgust in return.
Flair: I’m just here because I was told that you told Chris Jericho he doesn’t have to defend the Undisputed Title against Stone Cold Steve Austin…

Vince’s expression changes to one of pure anguish, sensing that not only will Ric Flair have something to say about his previous ruling, but he’ll now have to hear Jericho whine about it yet again.
Flair: Now, last I checked, we’re both CO-owners of this company, and that means you don’t just get the final say on matches. ESPECIALLY not Undisputed Title matches. So I say - Stone Cold Steve Austin WILL get a shot at the Undisputed Title… and it’ll happen at NO WAY OUT!

Vince’s shoulders drop and his palms rest on his desk, his head staring straight down as Flair unleashes a thunderous “WOO!” that is met with an echo from the crowd while he struts his way out of the room.

Back in the arena, Steven Richards makes his entrance to a lukewarm reaction. He’s followed by Booker T, who is mostly booed but not as viscerally as he would’ve been if this match were taking place just a month ago.

Steven Richards vs Booker T
In the early going this is a relatively back-and-forth affair that is met with a pretty confused reaction from most of the crowd who aren’t really sure who to root for. Booker uses his athleticism to take control with a very impressive Harlem Sidekick, and after withstanding one last attempt at offense from Stevie, he manages to duck the Stevie Kick and finish the match with a Scissors Kick that he gains a truly incredible amount of air on.

Winner: Booker T (4:41)

Booker actually gets an audible cheer or two as he leaves the ring following his victory, still not exactly slapping hands with the crowd as he leaves. The camera shot shows Chris Jericho backstage trying to find Ric Flair as the show fades to a break.

RAW comes back on the air with the entrance of Jazz, last night’s unsuccessful challenger for the WWF Womens Championship. Her opponent, Jacqueline, was the referee for that match, and Jazz is out for revenge over perceived unfairness in the officiating of her title bout.

Jazz vs Jacqueline
Jazz clearly isn’t playing around in this match, jumping Jacqueline from the opening bell and stomping her in the corner until Tim White has to break it up. Jazz tries to stay on the attack, but Jacqueline manages to send her to the outside, regroup, and mount some extended offense of her own. Jacqueline makes a crucial mistake, though, when she attempts a Tornado DDT and has it countered powerfully by Jazz. This would lead to the end, where Jazz locks in the Crossface Chickenwing and holds her opponent high in the air for all the crowd to see. Jacqueline is forced to verbally submit and Jazz is declared the winner.

Winner: Jazz via submission (6:19)

Jazz makes her way to the back sending warnings to Trish Stratus through the camera, telling her that the only reason she won at Royal Rumble was Jacqueline’s officiating and letting her know that a Crossface Chickenwing was awaiting her.

Backstage, we see a petulant Chris Jericho accosting various employees in polo shirts adorning the WWF logo, asking all of them if they know where Ric Flair’s office is. Before he can get an answer, though, Flair appears behind the Undisputed Champion and taps him on the shoulder.

Flair: You were looking for me?
Y2J: You’re damn right I am you senile old man! Myself and Vince had everything already decided! I was already starting my scouting and preparation for WrestleMania against Triple H, and now you’re trying to make me defend my titles against an unworthy assclown like Stone Cold Steve Austin? Are you out of your mind?!

Calmly, Flair puts his hand up towards Jericho and laughs off his comments.
Flair: Listen, Chris, nobody said being Undisputed Champion was gonna be easy. A great man once said that to be the man, you gotta BEAT the man, and Stone Cold Steve Austin is the man around here.

Just before Jericho can retort in a fit of rage, Vince McMahon approaches the two of them and enters the conversation.
Vince: I thought about what you said earlier, Ric, and if I can’t decide that Chris Jericho isn’t defending the titles at No Way Out, then by god you can’t decide that he IS. This is CO-ownership, and we’re going to reach a consensus on what Chris Jericho is going to be doing at No Way Out one way or another. As a matter of fact, I have a proposal.

Flair glares a hole through a wide-grinning Jericho before moving his eyes back to Vince and skeptically hearing out his offer.
Vince: Stone Cold won’t just be given a title shot at No Way Out, but I’ll give him the chance to EARN one. If Steve Austin doesn’t win his match on RAW next week, he’s not getting a title match at No Way Out, as a matter of fact, he’s never getting a title match AGAIN!

Jericho nods and laughs, patting Vince on the shoulder as they await Flair’s response.
Flair: Y’know Vince, even though you cracked my skull open with a metal pipe last night, I know that compromises still have to be made in a business partnership… so I accept.

Jericho not-so-subtly pumps his fist in celebration while Vince smiles as demonically as only he can.
Flair: Just one thing, though. You get to make a call, I get to make a call. Stone Cold will have to win his match next week to get his title shot at No Way Out… but I’m gonna choose his match for next week.

Vince is visibly dejected once again, as is Jericho, while Flair walks off before even giving them a chance to respond. At ringside, JR and King offer theories on what match Flair will give Austin before RAW heads off to break.

RAW Line Break.png

When RAW returns, we are greeted by the entrance of Christian and Lance Storm. The two Canadians that interfered in the Undisputed Title match last night on behalf of Chris Jericho head to the ring, trashing everyone in the crowd for their entire trek down the aisle.

Next to enter are the unlikely WWF Tag Team Champions, Spike Dudley and Tazz, who exist in direct contrast to Christian and Storm. Spike and Tazz jumpstart the action, sliding into the ring and throwing blows with their opponents in this non-title match before two men isolate themselves in the ring and the bell is called for.

Christian and Lance Storm vs Spike Dudley and Tazz
This tag match goes exactly how you’d expect it would, with Spike isolated and beat down throughout much of the opening segment. All his attempts to tag Tazz in are thwarted by the crafty Christian and Storm, who display surprisingly good chemistry as a team throughout the match. Eventually Tazz is tagged in, and like a house of fire he runs through both opponents. After he locks Storm in the Tazzmission, though, Christian pulls the referee out of the ring, splatting him on the floor and causing him to be down for a minute or so. Christian retrieves a WWF Tag Team Title belt from ringside and looks to use it to his advantage, but Spike sneaks up on him and hits the Dudley Dog!

Spike goes to the outside to try and wake the referee, but he’s jumped by his half-brothers Bubba Ray and D-Von! The awaking official spots this attack and calls for the bell, awarding the match to Spike and Tazz by disqualification.

Winners: Spike Dudley and Tazz (5:57)

The beatdown doesn’t stop with the bell, though, as the Dudleys, Christian and Storm continue their onslaught on the Tag Team Champions. Bubba Ray and D-Von set up a table near the corner, and they get ready to deliver a powerbomb off the top on Spike while Tazz is subdued by Christian and Storm, when…

IF YA SMELL…

The Rock SPRINTS to the ring! Bubba and D-Von need time to drop Spike and move the table out of the way, which gives The Rock more than enough time to lay the smack down on Christian and Lance Storm, exacting just a bit of revenge for last night’s title match. After he dispatches of Bubba and D-Von in a similar fashion, sending them to the floor, Rock grabs Lance Storm and plants him through the table with the Rock Bottom! The Rock stands glaring out at the Dudleys and Christian while Tazz and Spike stand in the background, The People’s Champion clearly sending a message to the men that helped cost him the Undisputed Title at Royal Rumble.

Backstage, we see Jonathan Coachman standing in the interview area with William Regal. Regal is dressed in a suit with the Intercontinental Championship around his waist, and he adjusts his pocket square while preparing for Coachman to begin the interview.

Coach: I’m here with the new Intercontinental Champion William Regal, who won the title in controversial fashion at the Royal Rumble thanks to that pair of brass knuckles you carry around.

Regal: Controversial? Please sunshine, if you want controversial you should see the way these miserable toerags in South Carolina carry themselves. I don’t know what exactly you’re implying, but what you all saw last night was a lesson for young Edge, and nothing more. He learned that when you’re in the ring with Blackpool, England’s finest, you always need to be prepared for the power of the punch.

Regal flashes his knuckles to the camera, seemingly downplaying his blatant cheating that helped him capture the IC Title. Jim Ross says “oh, brother” while Regal walks off and RAW returns to break.

RAW Line Break.png

When we come back, the crowd rises to its feet for the entrance of Triple H. The Game is headed to WrestleMania, and it’s easy to see why when you hear the deafening reaction he gets in Greenville. HHH steps between the ropes and poses on the second rope before being handed a microphone and he starts to talk.
HHH: So I’m guessing you guys saw what happened last night.

An extended pause to let the voracious cheers and chants pass.
HHH: But in case you didn’t, I’ve officially battled back from the worst injury of my career, defeated 29 other WWF superstars, and punched my ticket back to the main event of WrestleMania where I belong… but it wasn’t easy. Nothing around here is easy, and that just might be what I missed the most while I was out.

More cheers.
HHH: When I was getting my injured leg targeted by Mr. Perfect, or when I got clocked in the head with a chair by Stone Cold, or when Kurt Angle was suplexing me on my neck, the only thing that kept me pushing through besides all of you people was the reminder that I love being in this ring. I love the pain, I love giving it right back, and I would’ve done ANYTHING it took to make sure I was going to WrestleMania… and now here we are.

HHH’s speech is cut off by the entrance music of Kurt Angle, who commentary informs us is scheduled to wrestle in the show’s main event against Tajiri. Angle brazenly enters the ring and brushes The Game to the side, grabbing his own microphone and waiting for the crowd to calm down with the boos before addressing the man that eliminated him last night.
Angle: Hunter, I can respect all that you’ve gone through in terms of your rehab and what it took for you to get back in the ring and punch your ticket to WrestleMania, I really can.

A skeptical audience boos this statement, expecting Kurt to have a catch.
Angle: It’s true! It’s true! It is! But, if we’re being honest… the only reason you got injured in the first place is because you’re too uncoordinated to walk in a straight line without blowing your quad out.

Theeeere it is. And the boos follow.
Angle: And furthermore, we all know that the only reason you won the Royal Rumble last night is because you had to trick me like your buddy Shawn did in 1995. It’s true!

HHH rolls his eyes, his arms crossed before he raises the microphone and addresses Angle.
HHH: Listen, that’s all great Captain America but is there a reason you’re out here?

Angle: As a matter of fact there is! See, I’m in the main event tonight while you get to sit on your ass - but - I choose to see the positive in this. And that is, that you and all the rest of these people get to watch a true American hero go one-on-one with one of the great champions in this company. So I suggest you go sit at commentary and soak it in.

Annoyed, HHH does retire to the commentary desk where he grabs a headset and joins JR and Lawler for our main event. Out next comes Tajiri and Torrie Wilson, with Tajiri wearing the Cruiserweight Title around his waist. The Japanese Buzzsaw leaves his belt with Torrie as the bell rings and he circles around the ring with Kurt.

Kurt Angle vs Tajiri w/ Torrie Wilson
Kurt tries to employ his superior amateur wrestling ability early, but every takedown attempt is stuffed with a thunderous kick from Tajiri. After the third attempt, Angle catches his kick and looks to sink in the Ankle Lock, but Tajiri scrambles to the ropes. As the action resets, Angle constantly finds himself caught off guard by Tajiri’s blistering speed and devastating strikes, eventually rolling out of the ring while his chest turns red and deflecting ridicule from Triple H at commentary. Angle works his way back into the driver’s seat by grounding Tajiri and wearing the smaller competitor down, ragdolling him with German suplexes.

Tajiri’s attempted comeback is momentarily stopped by Angle, as an attempt at the Tarantula leads to Tajiri being lifted into position for the Angle Slam! Tajiri grabs onto the ropes to try and avoid Angle’s finisher, with Torrie Wilson jumping onto the apron to try and pull Tajiri out of the situation. Angle breaks his opponent loose from the ropes and swings him around, his feet connecting with Torrie and knocking her to the floor. Tajiri gets out of the Angle Slam while the official gets out of the ring to check on Torrie, and Tajiri sprays Kurt Angle with the green mist!

HHH laughs uproariously as Angle flops and scrambles around the ring, while Tajiri leaves the ring to check on Torrie himself. Angle fumbles his way to the timekeeper’s table where he acquires a bottle of water, throwing it into his eyes to clear his vision before quickly running over to the scene at ringside, violently snatching Tajiri and connecting with the Angle Slam on the floor while EMTs tend to Torrie. Angle then throws Tajiri into the ring in a rage, pulls the straps down on his singlet and locks in the Ankle Lock for a tapout.

Winner: Kurt Angle (9:47)

Angle is less fun and games than he was earlier, steaming as his hand is raised in victory. He’s still trying to wipe mist off his face with his hand when Triple H enters the ring and stands across from him, inviting Angle to take a shot at him. Kurt shoves HHH out of the way and leaves the ring by walking past him rather than leaving the other direction, and HHH fires up the crowd while RAW goes off the air.

BookerMan

Reaction score
smackdown 2002 logo.png

1/24/02
from the North Charleston Coliseum in North Charleston, South Carolina

*PYRO*

*Michael Cole and Tazz welcome us to the show*

YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME

The crowd is delighted and rise to their feet instantly as Edge makes his first entrance since being cheated out of the Intercontinental Championship at the Royal Rumble. Edge gets the audience fired up as he walks to the ring, while his opponent - Justin Credible - is introduced as he’s already in the ring. Edge slides under the bottom rope, removes his jacket and the bell rings to get the action underway.

Justin Credible vs Edge
There’s not too much to report on this one, as Justin Credible struggles to even get out of the blocks. Edge has a counter for everything he attempts, and does not meet much resistance en route to landing the Edgecution for an easy win.

Winner: Edge (4:22)

Edge takes his victory as a chance to celebrate on the middle rope and bask in the cheers from this hot South Carolina crowd, starting to regain momentum after his setback at the Rumble. We cut backstage and see the Dudley Boyz and Stacy Keibler standing in front of the camera, no interviewer with them.

Bubba Ray and D-Von have a table standing tall between them, each using one arm to hold it up. Both Bubba and D-Von have nasty looks on their faces, with Bubba beginning to speak first.

Bubba: Spike! It’s about time you get what’s coming to you. You got lucky at the Royal Rumble and you got lucky again on RAW, but The Rock ain’t coming to save your ass every week.

D-Von: That’s right Spike! You know us better than anybody, and you know that just because you got away twice doesn’t mean it’s gonna be three times. And if it is, that don’t mean there’s gonna be a fourth time. We don’t stop, until your ass is driven through this table and your titles are back where they belong.

Stacy steps forward, raising her honorary Dudley Boyz glasses to rest atop her perfect blonde hair.
Stacy: Tazz might not know, but Spike - you should’ve known better. This table might as well have your name on it, because that’s just how we do it in Dudleyville.

D-Von smacks the table aggressively before turning and hauling it off alongside his half-brother. Stacy follows, her camo skirt brushing upwards suggestively before the camera comes off her.

The shot fades over to Kurt Angle, who receives jeers as he stands next to Jonathan Coachman in the interview area. Angle has a cocky look on his face and he holds his medal up so the camera can get a good look at it as Coachman begins this interview.

Coach: Kurt on Monday night you managed to get a win over Tajiri in the main event of RAW, and found yourself face-to-face with the man that eliminated you to win the Royal Rumble: Triple H. And even though it didn’t come to blows on Monday, a lot of people think the two of you still have to fight somewhere down the line.
Angle: First of all Coach I don’t have to do anything. I’m an Olympic Gold Medalist for God’s sake. If I wanted to sit at home and collect sponsorship checks while being on the Wheaties box every month, I could. It’s true!

The crowd boos the outlandish Olympic hero while he continues to smirk like an incredulous moron.
Angle: Listen, if Triple H wants to fight me in a match where you actually have to pin somebody or make them submit to win, then he can be my guest. But I get the feeling he doesn’t want to do that. He already got his lucky win at the Royal Rumble, and now he can coast on through to WrestleMania. At one time, I would’ve considered Triple H a man with enough pride to step in the ring and swing at an athlete of my caliber… but ever since his fragile little leg fell apart on him, he’s just not that guy anymore. Matter of fact, I’ll prove it to all of you on RAW. Thanks, Coach.

Angle pats Coachman on the shoulder and exits frame, leaving Coach to simply raise his eyebrows at Kurt’s bold statement.

Back in the arena, the team of Diamond Dallas Page and Chris Kanyon make their way to the ring. They get a warm-ish reception from the former WCW territory of the Carolinas, although they’ve been a bit of an afterthought on TV over the past few months. Next out are Billy and Chuck, complete with their matching gear and headbands. Chuck begins in the ring with Kanyon as the match gets underway.

DDP and Kanyon vs Billy and Chuck
Kanyon does get the best of Chuck early but their advantage evaporates when Billy and Chuck manage to isolate Kanyon and keep him from tagging in DDP. They batter him in their corner, cut off all his tag attempts, and use the referee as a third teammate through the use of distraction and misdirection. Kanyon is too much of a veteran, though, as he’s able to turn their distraction against them when he lands a low blow on Billy that seems to cause just as much emotional pain to Chuck as it did physical pain to Billy. Kanyon uses this opening to tag DDP in, who goes to work on his opponents. What was working for Billy and Chuck no longer is, and DDP and Kanyon connect with stereo Diamond Cutters for somewhat of an upset victory!

Winners: Diamond Dallas Page and Chris Kanyon (7:46)

Kanyon and DDP embrace each other in victory, with commentary noting their chemistry seems to have improved as a team. Billy and Chuck nurse each other’s wounds, perhaps even getting too handsy for comfort as SmackDown fades to break.

SmackDown Line Break.png

When SmackDown comes back to the air, Ric Flair is making his way down the aisle to yet another massive reaction. The Nature Boy takes his time strutting to the ring before stepping between the ropes and soaking in the adoration from the crowd. He respectfully retrieves a microphone from Tony Chimel and begins to talk.
Flair: Thank you South Carolina! WOO!

The crowd woos along with him, eating up everything he does as his smile beams into the camera.
Flair: There’s just a couple things I wanted to come out here and talk about after what happened on RAW. See, I’m actually happy with how everything went down because Vince and I reached an agreement like a couple of reasonable, successful co-owners should. I just really wish I didn’t have to beat the hell out of him at the Royal Rumble first to get to this point.

Flair smiles wryly while looking around the arena.
Flair: So the decision we reached is that Stone Cold Steve Austin has to earn his Undisputed Title shot at No Way Out, but I get to choose the match he needs to win to earn it. Now I co-

BREAK THE WALLS DOWN

Flair is interrupted by the Undisputed Champion himself, Chris Jericho. Y2J doesn’t look like his usual cocky self, instead he holds a scowl on his face for his entire walk to the ring, ditching the pomp and circumstance of his normal entrance to simply stomp into the ring with his belts and stand in The Nature Boy’s face.
Y2J: I just had to stop you right there, Ric, because I knew whatever you were about to say was going to make me sick, and I wanted to be up close and personal when you said it. Yeah, see, I wanted to be out here when you announce Stone Cold is going to wrestle some hillbilly from the Carolinas as a favor to one of your drinking buddies for a chance at my Undisputed Title. Right?

The crowd boos while Jericho makes faces at them, then he turns and stares intensely at Flair, almost threatening him without directly saying so.

Flair: Well actually Chris I think you could’ve stayed in the back, because what I’m about to say is going to be completely fair - unlike you beating The Rock at the Royal Rumble because you got help from Christian and Lance Storm. Now I’m giving The Rock a chance to take care of some business tonight when he faces Christian in the main event, but I think it’s only fair if Lance Storm gets what’s comin’ to him by facing Stone Cold on RAW!

Rather than being annoyed, Jericho has a small grin creep onto his face. He nods his head slowly before replying to the co-owner.
Y2J: You know Ric, I have to hand it to you. This is the most impartial decision you’ve made since you became co-owner. Lance Storm is the best pure athlete in this company, and when he puts Stone Cold’s old, broken down body in the Canadian Maple Leaf, you’ll see why he’s not cut out for a shot at the Undisputed Title.

Flair nods as if to say “suuuure” before he watches Jericho begin to retreat up the ramp.
Flair: Just one last thing, Chris - if you or Christian get involved with that match on Monday - not only will Lance Storm be disqualified, Stone Cold gets to choose the stipulation at No Way Out! WOO!

Jericho is visibly perturbed by this, obviously revealing that he was planning on interfering in the match.

Once Jericho and Flair clear the arena, we get the entrance of Maven accompanied by Al Snow. Snow walks his mentee to the ring and then veers off to commentary, where he sits next to Michael Cole and Tazz while he prepares to watch Maven wrestle. Out next is Shawn Stasiak who receives very little fanfare as he walks to the ring briskly.

Maven vs Shawn Stasiak
Stasiak, despite being considered the veteran in this match, shows his lack of braincells almost immediately by charging at Maven and getting driven into the ringpost shoulder-first. As Al Snow instructs him from the commentary desk, Maven works over Stasiak’s injured shoulder like an expert. Stasiak does use his strength advantage to apply a bit of offense eventually, but the superior athleticism of Maven combined with his coaching from Snow is too much for the birdbrained Stasiak to handle, and Maven’s Halo DDT puts the match away early.

Winner: Maven (3:31)

Maven goes to the middle rope to celebrate his victory but the party doesn’t last long, as he gazes out towards the ramp and sees The Undertaker sauntering to the ring, wielding a steel chair. As Taker descends the ramp, he glares at Maven who stands on the second rope in a state of shock, clearly unsure what to do as a legend of the industry advances towards him with the same weapon he used to crack Maven’s skull open less than a week ago. Taker doesn’t enter the ring immediately, rather circling it as he makes his way to the side of the ring opposite the ramp. He stands between the ring and the commentary table while staring at Maven, his arms crossed and the chair dangling in his right hand, before he suddenly turns around and DESTROYS Al Snow with a chair shot to the head!

Snow crumbles out of his chair and to the ground while Tazz and Michael Cole get some distance between themselves and The Undertaker. This sets Maven off, and he charges out of the ring towards his mentor while Undertaker nonchalantly leaves the way he came, not taking the opportunity to attack Maven.

Commentary makes note of how vicious of a chair shot that was and how Undertaker clearly wanted to get in Maven’s head rather than bust it open tonight while EMTs attend to a woozy Al Snow and SmackDown drifts to break.

SmackDown Line Break.png

SmackDown comes out of break with the entrance of Chavo Guerrero, and the silence is deafening. Next out is The Hurricane accompanied by Mighty Molly, and the two superheroes receive, ironically, a hero’s welcome from the South Carolina audience.

Chavo Guerrero vs The Hurricane w/ Mighty Molly
Chavo proves himself to be a worthy competitor despite the crowd’s indifference as he engages The Hurricane in an exciting exchange of holds and counters in the early going of the match. WWF’s resident superhero retreats into the ropes after Chavo gets the upper hand in one of their exchanges, but uses the ref’s break as a chance to get a quick rollup that Chavo narrowly kicks out of. Hurricane continues to manipulate the rules and referee to his advantage, but the crowd is so indifferent towards Chavo that they can do nothing but cheer. Bending the rules only gets Hurricane so far, though, as Chavo manages to land a brainbuster and head to the top rope for a Frog Splash. However, Mighty Molly finds the slightest opening in the referee’s focus and manages to shove Chavo to the mat, opening him up to be hit by The Eye of the Hurricane for a victory for The Hurricane.

Winner: The Hurricane (6:48)

The Hurricane and Molly celebrate their win but don’t overstay their welcome with the crowd, who are still cheering their superheroes but are a bit skeptical with their underhanded tactics. Backstage, we see Booker T standing next to Jonathan Coachman. Booker is dressed casually, clearly just here to keep tabs on his fellow wrestlers rather than to actually compete. Coach gets the cue from the cameraman and begins the interview.
Coach: Well thank you very much guys like you said I’m back here with Booker T who took care of business with a win on RAW. Booker, as you continue to gather wins, I have to ask if you feel like you’ve finally found your footing in the WWF?

Booker: That’s a good question Coach, it really is. Ya’ see… when I first got to the WWF it wasn’t a lot of fans that were messing with me. And maybe I lashed out because of that and tried to get on their nerves, ya’ know?

Booker and Coach share a quick laugh while remembering Booker trying to get rid of the WWF for good just two months back at Survivor Series.
Booker: But now that I been here for a little bit and I got my contract signed and I’m a little more comfortable, I gotta say… I like it here. I like that I get to step in the ring with the best superstars in the world every single week! But most of all, I’m really starting to feel some love from all these people, Coach! So all Imma say is, if they keep supporting me, then Imma keep giving them what they wanna see. Now can you dig THAT, SUCKAAAAAAAA?!?!?!

Booker laughs with Coach as he exits frame, leaving a smile on Coachman’s face before the camera returns to the arena. There’s a sudden explosion of flames on the stage and later from the turnbuckles, as Kane makes his first entrance since the Royal Rumble. Out next is his opponent Val Venis, who returned to the WWF after being gone for most of 2001 in the Rumble match. Venis looks surprisingly unintimidated by the Big Red Machine as the bell sounds.

Kane vs Val Venis
Val puts up a good fight, as he is wont to do, but at every turn he’s overwhelmed by the sheer size and strength of Kane. Kane’s gigantic, completely unnatural arm eventually finds purchase across Val’s chest with the flying clothesline from the top rope, a tremendously impressive move from a man the size of Kane. The Big Red Machine holds his arm up, measuring Val for a Chokeslam, and he makes no mistake of it. Kane plants The Big Valbowski with the Chokeslam and makes an academic cover to spoil Val’s singles return to the ring.

Winner: Kane (6:15)

Kane leaves the ring in a timely manner, his hulking presence noted by commentary while Val tries to recover from the beating he just took. Tazz wonders aloud what might be next for Kane while the show heads to its final commercial break.

SmackDown Line Break.png

When we return, the crowd erupts into boos when Christian’s music hits and he heads to the ring accompanied by Lance Storm. The European Champion spends his entire walk to the ring antagonizing the crowd, threatening them as he gets into the ring and gloats with his title belt. The jeers turn to roars, however, when The Rock’s music hits and the millions (AND MILLIONS) of The Rock’s fans rise to their feet. The People’s Champion goes through his entire entrance, staring holes through Christian and Storm as he stands across from them on the middle rope, not letting them forget that they cost him the Undisputed Championship at Royal Rumble.

Christian w/ Lance Storm vs The Rock
Christian is the quintessential coward for the beginning of this match, scrambling out of the ring and narrowly avoiding the whooping that’s coming to him at every turn for the first minute or two. While the referee admonishes Christian and tells him to get back in the ring, Lance Storm attempts to get himself involved. The Rock catches him, though, and just a glare is enough to send Storm packing for the risk of getting caught. This distraction, though, opens things up for Christian, who jumps The Rock from behind and manages some offense.

While Christian is putting the boots to The Rock in the corner, he begins to swell up with the same confidence he had during his entrance. After getting a quick two count, Christian flexes for the crowd before looking for the Unprettier, which is countered and leads to The Rock taking back over with a big clothesline. Once Rock’s offense gets rolling, it’s disastrous for Christian. All of the European Champion’s attempts at offense are thwarted, and The Rock plants him with the spinebuster and throws his elbow pad into the audience, looking to land The People’s Elbow to put it away.

As he takes off for the ropes, though, Lance Storm seemingly decides to accept a disqualification and attempts a superkick in plain view of the official! The Rock, however, is more prepared than he was at the Rumble, and blocks the kick before setting Storm up for the Rock Bottom! Christian takes advantage of this distraction as well, though, hitting Rock from behind and freeing Storm to evacuate the ring. Christian goes for the Unprettier one more time, but again The Rock counters and this time drills Christian with the Rock Bottom for a modicum of revenge.

Winner: The Rock (8:22)

The Rock takes control of the ring while Christian and Storm lick their wounds - commentary making note of the fact that Storm narrowly avoided the Rock Bottom just days before he’ll have to wrestle Stone Cold on RAW with Austin’s Undisputed Title shot at stake. The Rock flashes a People’s Eyebrow into the camera just as the copyright plays and the show fades off the air.

Last edited:

DakotaNorth

Reaction score
I absolutely loved this period once the nonsense with the failed invasion was over and they got on with things (kinda, I guess NWO's return and the whole brand v brand thing dominated the storylines for the most part, but it's certainly an exciting period). Jericho as Undisputed champion is something I marked out for huge at the time (I ALWAYS used the walls of jericho when wrestling with friends. Tried a Lionsault once onto a crash pad. Like Hayabusa, mine did not go well.)

RAW 21st January, 2002
- Poor Jericho, the guy can't catch a break. Austin's characterisation is great, immediately builds interest in a match between the two, probably a steel cage to ensure no outside interference? Solid No Way Out match right there for the taking.
- Van Dam squash. Goooood. RVD was keraaaazy over during his first year so hopefully his future is bright!
- Vince running the authoritarian interference, I like it
- MR PERFECT! Ah man, it was amazing when he returned at the Rumble so a quick squashy return for him against Holly before he can put someone over. Crazy that both of these men would be dead within the next two years. Looking forward to seeing what you do with Hennig.
- Was Terri Runnels actually a wwe backstage interviewer at one point? I can't even fathom it.
- Holy shit balls, aside from the visual of the undertaker being chased by Matt toward the ring, this is intense! Matt absolutely throwing everything he's got to try and win the title works really well, even if Taker looks a little weak. However, by the end he just looks like a survivor and it actually is building to a credible match against Maven (which surely Taker squashes him in, but its nice to believe for a little while). Good job making us care about Taker/Maven!
- Oh Ric, you son of a gun.
- Like the crowd, I don't care for Booker T v Stevie Richards, although I think both men can be really interesting in the right program so it's good to see them both being used.
- Jazz kills people. Hell yeah.
- I'm all for the back and forth power struggle between Flair and Vince.
- Easy enough way to keep the belts on Spike and Tazz although none of these teams really scream legit challengers to the Dudleyz. especially with Tazz in the condition he was in at this point. Will be very interested in what you can do to build up a team that can compete with them. Rock gets his revenge and somehow doesn't spend twenty minutes cutting a promo in the middle of the show.
- Regal is class, a great reign as IC champ is well deserved.
- All of the Angle/HHH stuff is fantastic. The promo worked really well, the match with Tajiri elevated Tajiri whilst also establishing Angle as far above his level. No punches thrown yet so this one will simmer. Really enjoyed that segment.

Overall: The road to WrestleMania has well and truly begun. Loads of plans made and potential storylines to pick from, and you've done a really good job of making me actually care about a handful of the matches already with minimal build. Angle/HHH, Austin/Jericho, and where you'll go with Flair/Vince all work really well to allow the rest of the card to be built so you have a stronger and more diverse roster capable of stepping up at a moments notice into the main event. So many guys who just need one good program to become viable undisputed title challengers post Mania. Can't wait to see where you go with it all.

Smackdown 24th January, 2002
- Dominant Edge win to open things up, fine with that. I like that nobody is being thrown into a storyline just for the sake of it.
- Them's fighting words from Angle. IS HHH THE SAME!? I guess we're gonna find out. Good easy build.
- Anything Billy Gunn is doing the job, I am a fan. When it's against KANYON and DDP I'm delighted. Hopefully being fed to Taker and Kane hasn't killed them both off, because I really think they could be strong upper midcard easily with the right push.
- Lance Storm for Undisputed Champ! Jericho's right, when Lance gets Austin in the Maple Leaf, it's over!
- Boom, Taker strikes. Really well booked, and you somehow got a use for Stasiak! That man was trash.
- Ah fuck yeah, Mighty Molly and the Hurricane. Simpler times man. Chavo always felt like a black hole of charisma, so I'm glad to see him take the L against Helms. Was it the 2002 rumble where he tried the double chokeslam on Kane and Taker? Ahh, Sugar Shane, love him. A villain arc for the duo would be fantastic, but who would be their foil?
- Babyface Booker T coming at ya, let's fucking go!
- Kane squash. Absolutely fine with it. He's a tough man to book unless you've got a specific need for a deranged monster (or a gimmick tag team, of course).
- Christian and Lance do their heely shizz and it almost pays off. Heels being absolutely fine with being disqualified should be implanted into their DNA, so Lance absolutely made the right decision. Rock being prepped for it and disposing of both men makes him look great. Not sure where he fits into the plans going forward, and whether he stays post Mania, but that last program could be a hell of a ride.

Overall: The first week is shaping things very nicely for the future. You've got world class talent and top stars to cover you until WrestleMania, and you get two months to build some viable alternatives. That's clear you're already doing that with the likes of Booker T, Van Dam, Regal, Christian, Lance, and Edge. Hopefully they dont just get a moment to shine and then they're done, but you seem to be elevating quite a lot of people so no doubt you'll handle it brilliantly. I really enjoyed these two shows, big thumbs up here.