WWE's lack of faces is really bad

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
WWE, at a time, was dominated by popular and super strong babyfaces. From around 2005-2013, WWE's entire booking philosophy was based on a top face taking on dastardly heels, and ultimately triumphing. Batista and John Cena were the archetypes of this. Just look at the title history of the WWE and Heavyweight title in those years. I was never a major fan of this approach because it killed off a lot of good heels, and because it was overdone. You couldn't have a face win the title without facing the same heels a few dozen times. This was an era where the heels in the company were lacking. You really only had 2-3 proper heels, at this time.

However now it's the opposite. You have Lashley and Reigns being the top heels in both brands. Outside of Drew Mcintyre and Daniel Bryan, these guys haven't faced proper full-time faces that provided a serious threat to them. They keep bringing back a number of part-timers to get the job done, but it's so annoying. Every face is made to look like an absolute goon. None of them are organically likeable beyond a select few, and they're presented to be mere pawns. Why is WWE always so imbalanced with how they present their roster.

You would expect the faces coming out on-top by defeating credible faces would be a better idea. Goldberg at 100 years old is not a threat to a guy like Lashley. Flabby John Cena is gonna get the job done that Edge and Bryan both couldn't well because he's John Cena ofc! It's lame and annoying. I don't watch WWE enough to care too much, I barely watch it at all, but that's just my conclusion.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
I must admit I can't remember the last time I thought Reigns had any chance of losing. None of the babyfaces feel built up to a big enough level to beat him. I considered it for a brief moment with Cena, but I realised he probably wasn't going to stick around as long.

It's why I think they should have Brock as a babyface again for once.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
WWE just lacks stars. And their refusal to make stars bigger than WWE is hurting their business I feel like. If your star is bigger than WWE, sure you’ll have to pay them more but at the same time, you’ll have more people tuning in. Back then I knew wrestlers even though I didn’t watch the product. If you talk about wrestlers nowadays, they’re still talking about stars two decades ago.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

PaulDB

Reaction score
The lack of babyfaces isn't that big of a deal, but their failure at making any of them a success is a big problem.
I concur. I feel one of WWE's biggest problems is maintaining popular faces or face teams for extended stretches. I remember Billy and Chuck getting over during the wedding angle. Gay communities around the world rejoiced and WWE got big publicity from it, but that tag team didn't last long, despite making such a big impact.