• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
YouTube will introduce a paid subscription service later this week, according to the Daily Caller.

The site currently earns revenue exclusively through advertisements. The subscription fee may remove ads on some of its specialty channels. PCMag.com reports that the change will apply to up to 50 YouTube channels, and will start at $1.99/month per channel.

A spokesperson for Google said the company is looking to bring "even more great content to YouTube," and provide another opportunity for revenue.

Earlier this year, Netflix subscriptions surpassed those of HBO. YouTube has more users than the two combined -- the Daily Caller cites its user number as near one billion.

YouTube would enter the fray should the subscription service become popular. Existing channels include partnerships with BBC and The Onion. Adding a subscription service would provide an opportunity for YouTube to bring in established networks and their shows and further its competition with other Web video hosts.

The Financial Times reported that channel partners would include Howcast, World Wrestling Entertainment and The Onion.

"We have long maintained that different content requires different types of payment models," said the Google spokesperson.

Source: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/05/06/...elected-channels/1751367854104/#ixzz2SXTaiImF

Lol so not worth it, even for free.

Jonathan

Champion
Reaction score
Wait, pay to "subscribe" so you get their vids on your subscription box? Or pay to watch their videos?

Reaction score
I think it's pay to "subscribe" so you get their vids on subscription box.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
Can see ppl being unhappy with this move and most ppl just unsubscribing. I will.

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score
so baisc everyone going unsubscribe to there channel!? :pipebomb:

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
I'm subscribed to them but this is surely a great way to get me to unsubscribe.

They're not worth subscribing to even for $1.99 a month, especially when they barely even upload whole matches. They just upload the last two-three minutes of most of them.

Things like this make me worry if places like Youtube will try to make you pay in the future just to surf the site in the first place. Haven't certain websites tried to charge you just to visit their site before in the past?

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score

They're not worth subscribing to even for $1.99 a month, especially when they barely even upload whole matches. They just upload the last two-three minutes of most of them.

Things like this make me worry if places like Youtube will try to make you pay in the future just to surf the site in the first place. Haven't certain websites tried to charge you just to visit their site before in the past?

I hope that don't make me paid to make youtube video. that would make me leavre youtube!

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net

Don't worry. Believe it or not, YouTube isn't profitable to Google yet. Google are just trying to make it slightly profitable, that's all. It must be annoying when one of the worlds most popular sites doesn't bring in any income, but sites like Netflix and the like earn more revenue with a far lesser count of actual members. Google would never unnecessarily charge you to browse YouTube, or even other channels, but an offer like this presents a chance for both YouTube and said channel (in this case WWE) to earn more with it. Even with this in place, it doesn't restrict you from viewing their videos, it just means they don't apply in your sub box iirc.

Roach

Inappropriately dressed Walmart shopper
Reaction score
Website
www.dogforo.co.uk
People tend to take this a bit over the top. What is actually happening is just the subbing that will cost. You can watch for free. YouTube have been working on a push to get actual networks like FOX, BBC ect to actually make proper shows for people to watch on Youtube.