"WWE Saturday Morning Slam" electrifies Saturday mornings on The CW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
20120809_EP_LIGHT_vortex_C-homepage.jpg

STAMFORD, Conn. – WWE and Saban Brands today announced a new, weekly half-hour show, "WWE Saturday Morning Slam," that will debut on Saturday, Aug. 25 at 10 a.m.

"WWE Saturday Morning Slam" will be part of the television premiere of Vortexx on The CW, a Saturday morning kids’ television block reaching 110 million television households in the United States. This marks the first time since 2001 WWE will have a program in a kids’ time slot.

"WWE Saturday Morning Slam" packs riveting in-ring action, larger-than-life WWE Superstars and WWE’s entertaining brand extensions into the fastest, most energy-filled half-hour on television. WWE Superstar profiles, behind-the-scenes footage and an exclusive WWE match every week will all combine to make "WWE Saturday Morning Slam" the perfect destination for the youngest viewers in the WWE Universe. The show will also include highlights from WWE's be a STAR anti-bullying campaign and other community initiatives.

“We are extremely excited to partner with WWE to bring their world-class brand of entertainment to Vortexx,†Joel Andryc, Co-President of Vortexx, said. “With a focus on action, adventure and comedy, Vortexx is the perfect home for 'WWE Saturday Morning Slam' and will definitely excite our fans.â€

“WWE has a long history on Saturday mornings, and we’re thrilled to make our action-packed return on exx with 'WWE Saturday Morning Slam,' †Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and CEO, said. “The new program enables us to further engage kids and families, a vital component of WWE’s passionate and multi-generational fanbase."

Also coming to the block, which airs Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon, will be marquee titles including "Justice League Unlimited," "Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy" and "Iron Man: Armored Adventures." Vortexx will feature many iconic franchises available to viewers in one place for the first time.

10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. — "WWE Saturday Morning Slam"
"WWE Saturday Morning Slam" packs the riveting in-ring action, the larger-than-life WWE Superstars and WWE’s kid-friendly entertainment into the fastest, most energy-filled half-hour on television. WWE Superstar profiles, behind-the-scenes footage and an exclusive WWE match every week will all combine to make "WWE Saturday Morning Slam" the perfect destination for the youngest viewers in the WWE Universe.

Don't really know how I feel about this, I probably won't be watching, but then again I might just because it'll only be 30 minutes. Wonder if the heel will ever go over in the one match a week on this show.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
The show itself could be interesting, kinda like how they had NBA Insise Stuff when I was little as part of the cartoon block on abc. Toonzai, the block bein renamed Vortex does get decent viewership as DbZ Kai is the top rates Saturday morning cartoon on tv, like it's nicktoons top rated cartoon. That said most interesting thing is reopening a line of communication with the cw and testing the 30mim sitcom like timeslot.

If the show does decent, could we see YouTube shows going 30 mins or a 30mins divas/cw/tag shows?

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I'm not even going to attempt to watch this.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I watch Kai and Classic Yu-Gi-Oh on that channel most Saturdays so I may as well give it a try. Will probably be pretty annoying though.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Chances are it will be the only thing on worth watching in its timeslot. Its not like Saturday mornings used to be with about 6 different channels showing the cartoons.

I would expect alot of Brodus Clay, John Cena, & Zach Ryder, and a good place to watch Heath Slater job. Maybe a place to elevate talent like Big E. Langston or Ryback, as the kiddies would just eat up the campy gimmicks, and larger than life statures. Also expect Hornswaggle to have some huge role to play in the entire show.

Its wrestling for an even younger market, and a chance to get some more parents to buy their crappy merchandise. I doubt it will be anything the IWC would enjoy.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
You make a good poin, this isn't out Saturday mornings. Kids don't have that many options. It's the CW, Nick, or Cartoon networks DC Nation . In our day we had abc, CBS, fox, and countless others running must see kids tv. Wwe got in a top3 kids block

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't know why WWE doesn't simply make a cartoon to show in the mornings. It wouldn't cost them too much and they could easily prepare something that would be fun to watch for kids. This sounds like a smart decision by WWE and since they are appealing to kids with the main product this should do quite well. Get Cena on there often and it will rate well.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'll wait until I hear about a good match happening on this program and then I'll start to care.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Saiyans, try living in Canada today, if you dont have some $200 tv package, you get 2 channels that show cartoons on saturday mornings, one is all Scooby Doo movies, and some stuff I have never heard of, the other one is for infants. Thankfully my package that AMC comes in also gives me CW(in 3 time zones), Disney XD, & CN. So I can watch DBZ Kai, Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers EMH(for whats left of it), Green Lantern, & Young Justice, as well as some of my favorites from the 90's like Gargoyles, Iron Man, X-Men, or Spider-Man.

Troy, didnt WWE just try a comic book a year or 2 ago? I dont think a cartoon would be the right way to go, its not like the 80's where nearly everyone on the roster was playing a somewhat family friendly character. They just dont have the roster size to use for a childrens cartoon. A single match, some specialized interviews, and maybe a few animated shorts, might work better, but I wouldnt expect a full 21 minute animated cartoon every week.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I expect a match, a music video or two like Superstars had a on WGN to highlight a superstar, a rebound for Raw and/or SD, and some messages to the kid with a history lesson

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Realized this will come on in the afternoon for me so I'll set the DVR for it. I get the west coast CW feed with Dish. This also means wwe will have show every day, if they keep Superstars and move nxt back to tuesdays when they get them on tv

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Troy, didnt WWE just try a comic book a year or 2 ago? I dont think a cartoon would be the right way to go, its not like the 80's where nearly everyone on the roster was playing a somewhat family friendly character. They just dont have the roster size to use for a childrens cartoon. A single match, some specialized interviews, and maybe a few animated shorts, might work better, but I wouldnt expect a full 21 minute animated cartoon every week.

I don't remember a comic book, I remember they ran a cartoon on wwe.com the Vince Kiss My Ass Club cartoon. The may have tried a cartoon with Rey Mysterio. They still have enough family friendly wrestlers to fill a cartoon and they could easily make it only a 10 minute cartoon rather than a full 21 minutes.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
WWE Heroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^that was the comic in question, I have never talked to anyone who actually read them, and wouldnt be shocked if I could find them in just about any bargain bin(my local shop might be different as they give away free comics in the bargain bins to kids with atleast B's on report cards).

As for the characters, for faces I could see Cena, Sheamus, Khali, Clay, Ryder, & Rey(Superman, Thor, Giant Man, Hulk, Booster Gold, & Spider-Man), and for heels I could see Del Rio, Miz, Kane, Slater & Ricardo(Lex Luthor, Red Skull, Solomon Grundy, & Bebop & Rocksteady), then you have some obvious choices that could be added as supporting cast like Booker T, AJ, Vince, & Hunter(ala Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Whistler, Prof. X. ), and then guys like Hornswaggle(Mister Mxyzptlk/Batmite), Jericho(Deathstroke/Deadpool), & Ryback(Cyborg/Deathlok), who could play the anti-hero role(not truely villanous, but not completely heroic).

The shorts could be the way to go if they animated, much like the DC Nation block on CN, split each into 3 acts, start with an animation, after commercials goto the superstar interviews, another animation, after commercials goto the exclussive match, and end with the final act of the animation. It would help keep all those ADD sufferers, I mean children watching for the whole 30 minutes.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
If I was them I would let Hornswoggle host it like Anmad and Summer used to host Inside Stuff on the old abc kids block. I mean we know Hornswoggle is over with kid and parents alike, he's collecting a check right now, but he can actually draw and sell, so why not?

Heck Hornswoggle and Striker wouldn't be bad

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Hold the fuck up, they have another new power rangers show?!

I think this is a smart idea by WWE as their target audience is children, and Saturday mornings are when the kids are honestly more active.