WWE on VHS

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but...

Can anyone tell me when, or better still, with what PPV did WWE STOP releasing them on VHS in the UK?

(Nerdy question I know, but I have everything from '85-2003 on VHS and would at least like to complete the collection, even if I re-buy some faves on DVD.)

Thanks in adv.

Old Skool

Banned
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmm good question i thought it was around 2003 if it helps i got wm xix on dvd and i think it only came out on dvd but i could miles off. p.s whereabouts in England u from?

Airfixx

London (Hackney).

Shouda probably said, I have some from 2004 too but nothing from after Summerslam.

(If any Brits have any that they wanna sell then by all means please PM me.)

Wrestling Station

the latest VHS PPV i've got is No Way Out 2003. So im not sure if anything after that came out as VHS.. maybe.

Airfixx

To reiterate, I have a full collection from 85-2003 (inclusive)... From there I have...

RR04
NWO04
WM20
Backlash04
JDay04
Vengeance04
GAB04
SSlam04 (So they can't have stopped issuing on VHS until at least the PPV after this.)

Says to me I'm missing Bad Blood then Unforgiven, No Mercy, Survivor Series, Armageddon (There was no Taboo Tuesday or NYRev. if I recall correctly) then '05 onwards (if they exist).

I vaguely recall seeing SSeries04 in a shop but didn't buy it at the time.

Cheers for replies though guys....

p.s. @ old skool: Where are YOU from? I notice elsewhere that you can't afford to order WM this year.... If you're local and house-trained, maybe you could join me?

McLovin

Reaction score
I have New Years Revolution 2005 on VHS. I think that was the last one.

Airfixx

Cheers.... Was hoping that they at least saw '04 out... (I'm sad like that! LOL)

This Guy

VHS?!?!?! Who cares about VHS?!?!? anyways, I have no clue even for here what the last PPV on VHS was let alone over there. I've given up on the VHS though. I want everything, originals, and obviously that means I would have to get some VHS (prior to the DVD days), but its more about having the complete DVD collection for me.

McLovin

Reaction score
I tried This Guy, I reached about 60 including TNA, WWE and a couple of UFC but it is impossible. Just download them, takes up less room!

C4

I don't know if this will help you in any way but Judgment Day 2005 was released on VHS, sure about that. Even other PPV's from 2005 were released on VHS. However, from 2006-onwards nothing more is released on VHS, it's the 21st Century damn you! :shifty:

McLovin

Reaction score
Ah didn't know that C4, I haven't seen a new VHS released for WWE since NYR 05.

This Guy

I tried This Guy, I reached about 60 including TNA, WWE and a couple of UFC but it is impossible. Just download them, takes up less room!

Hmm, guess you didn't try hard enough....my total collection right now is sitting at around 450 to 500. I do download them, but who wants to watch piss poor picture quality on a small window of a computer screen, when you can have the crisp picture on a big screen with a DVD? I do download them and burn them on DVD's as well, but that will never stop my collection from growing....just cause your too cheap. lol

Airfixx

I know it's the 21th century (LOL)...

(Like vinyl records before CDs, VHS is STILL the only way you'll ever get to watch of all sorts of weird and wonderful films/TV etc. as loads of stuff will never be reissued to DVD.)

....but a few things:

*My collection started in the in 1990.

*I can pick up WWF/WWE PPVs up for £1 or £2 on ebay. This is cool cos i can watch everything without worrying whether I'm paying decent money for something I may never watch again (obviously not every PPV is 5-star quality!).

*You can't put together a comprehensive DVD collection without buying the crappily edited versions of the majority of WWF-era. I don't want that shit, plus, I'll still be able to enjoy the phantom Benoit matches; the dissapearance of which appears to have some peeps rather pissed.

*DVDs are shit too. (They can be damaged/scratched/corrupted, are way over priced and their days are already numbered - They're a stop-gap format, same as CDs). I'll prob jump to digital when I can purchase DVD quality downloads of the PPVs direct from WWE like you can buy MP3s/Wavs at online music stores (which I can't see being that long a long time away), by which time I should be able to rip VHS to my PC at a decent quality if I see fit.

So, care to tell me why ya'll automatically opt for DVD? ...Convenience? ...They're the norm? (Trust me, don't go there, I have my counter-argument already! LOL :wink: )

This Guy

um, all of my dvd's still look brand spanking new. DVD"s usually cost about $20 to 25 Canadian here when they come out which is normal, but I never pay more then $7 as Wal-Mart always gets clearence Wrestling DVD's in. Brand new, for a lot less money. Benoit isn't edited out of this stuff. Yes anything new they release might be, but anything they've already realeased he's still in it. For example I just picked up the entire Wrestlemania Anthology for $60. (reg. price is $260) and guess what, Benoit is still in it. None of the DVD's in North America are edited and if they are now its new releases anyways....Check your first Survivor Series on VHS, its edited. (but of course your collection started in 1990 so you don't have it...oh wait I do :) ) As were many of the original VHS releases by the WWE(F or whatever) My collection does include VHS obviously and goes back a long long way.

If DVD's days are numbered (which is still a long way from happening btw) VHS days are long over as no store has sold VHS in almost 5 years (except maybe in old clearence dump bins) DVD's can be scratched yes and damaged yes, but if you take care of them and put them back in the case they will look as good as they day you bought them like mine do. And corrupted? I've yet to ever have a DVD get corrupted on me. On the other hand VHS tape gets worn and the picture quality degrades over time. VHS heads get dirty and tapes become un watchable. Truth is VHS is more likely to get damaged even if taken care of, then a DVD that isn't. When the head wears out on your VCR, it can stretch the tape as well. When the laser burns out on your DVD Player, the DVD is fine.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with COnvenience or the Norm. Bottom line is there not that expensive....I barely pay over $10 for any DVD unless its a box set or something I really want right aways. The picture quality is point blank better then VHS could ever be, and DVD's always have extras that you just never got on VHS.