WWE Officials Considering a Babyface Turn

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wrestling Observer Newsletter said:
- There has been at least some talk of turning Alberto Del Rio babyface. WWE officials badly want a top Hispanic babyface. The feeling is that Rey Mysterio won't be around forever and is far from an office favorite while Sin Cara just isn't ready.
What do people think to this then? Personally I don't think it would work as I just don't think he has the charisma or the mic skills to be a top babyface.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I've wanted to see him as a face since he debuted. Its worth a shot.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I don't think it would be very good. He doesn't strike me as a heel. Get him over as a heel again and see what happens first.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I can't see it working for Del Rio as a babyface. He'd pretty much need a gimmick revamping completely and that'd help it. But then you'd be changing who he is completely. Just need to keep him as is.

Killz

Reaction score
I think the best gimmick changes, and the most compelling characters, are when someone you don't expect to turn totally does. It'd be like Kofi Kingston going full red-blooded heel (which I thought they were going to do) and cutting out all his cross-body high flying arsenal. I thought it would work.

I see the same thing for Del Rio. It'd just be so fresh I'd sure as hell cheer him. Hispanic community/viewers are sorted cause of the dearth of hispanic comeptitors on TV. Children? Hand out scarves like Mysterio hands out masks. Dump the limo (or start letting kids sit in it at live shows). Heighten comedic Ricardo exchanges. Put him in beatdown-beatdown-beatdown-BIG WIN feud with Big Show.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I'd prefer to see what they have in mind for a Sin Cara push than ADR turning. Cara has improved quite a lot in the ring in a short time and I'm sure Rey will be around long enough for him to direct Sin Cara a little. He's as "ready" as he can be, but what's holding him back is how unrelatable he is. His character needs some other dimension to it. Del Rio playing babyface would work fair enough, but I don't think anyone is asking for that.

A new, big hispanic babyface like Rey or Eddie surely is something WWE could use, but the choice of Del Rio smacks of desperation.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Whatever happened to Camacho, I know Hunico is out injured, but man, Camacho impressed me on a few occasions that I saw him on NXT and Smackdown. He's got the look, and is big. He is also a second generation. Just cause Hunico is out doesn't mean they shouldn't use Camacho.

Hunico and Camacho would be my choices for future Hispanic top stars.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Most of us still have no idea what Hunico is capable of, even less so with Camacho. They're almost completely untested. As talented as they might be, we have no idea how they'll go over up against everyone else. Give them a run or two in the mid-cards, ideally starting with the tag division, before thinking about whether they can be the ones to carry the company or whatever.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I'm not saying have them carry the company starting tomorrow. Just give us a chance to see them.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
There are guys who are heel and no matter how much of a heel they are you could see them as a face. This isn't one of those cases. Not cause he is such an amazing heel or anything but because nothing about him says that he could pull it off unless they slapped a mask on him and told him to go out there and do what Sin Cara and Rey does.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
That's what worries me about Del Rio as a face. Turn him, and you've pretty much stripped away his entire gimmick.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Surprised that this is talking about Del Rio, I would have guessed quite a few others turning face rather than him. When I see him I just don't think heel, not saying it can't work, but his whole gimmick works as a heel. They would have to change his whole gimmick to make it work but I guess it couldn't really hurt to try it. He hasn't been able to get over as the top heel, he just doesn't get taken seriously as that top threat thanks in part to WWE's booking of him as MITB holder and as champion. He is just floating around the upper midcard now so they could try it and if it fails miserably then just switch him back heel again.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Hunico needs to come back and be pushed.

As for Del Rio going face, I can actually see it. I think he'll do well.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeahhh.....millionaire foreigner who flaunts his wealth isn't the most fan friendly gimmick I've seen.

He'd basically need an entire repackaging to pull it off, not really worth it in his case. Push Ricardo as a comedy face instead, Santino has run his course now and Rick Rod can do that bit way better and funnier.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I just don't see how Del Rio can be a face. He just doesn't seem like he can adapt well to anything then what he's used to. He gets stale in almost every feud he's in. He'd have to change everything to become a face, that would just look ridiculous. Unless they did a storyline where he lost all his money or something.