WWE in Talks to Buyout Ring of Honor

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ryan Blade

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Website
RDSWrestling.com
ProWrestlingSheet.com said:
Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned WWE and Sinclair Broadcast Group have recently discussed a potential buyout of Ring of Honor in secret … this according to sources.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge tell us the companies have been talking since January and things have been slowly progressing, with the plan being a full takeover if the deal is made official.

This would include the weekly TV show beginning to air on the WWE Network. No word at this point on whether every wrestler on the roster would continue working in ROH if it happens.

Keep in mind, there’s no actual deal on the table right now and discussions are simply that. This means the buyout could always fall through if both sides can’t agree on specifics.

Case in point, WWE had discussions with TNA last year about a buyout that never came to fruition.

Reps for WWE for ROH declined to comment.

This. Is. Nuts.
I say just add ROH TV on the network plus their archive and merge NXT with ROH, add the NXT names on the ROH shows and let Ring of Honor do its own thing. They definately should not just turn it into another WWE show like 205 Live or something, that'd be a total waste.

Also, also, ALSO, this means that Dalton Castle could be getting a WWE contract my dudes!
Plus, I'd actually have a set and accessible place to watch ROH every week.

I know some of you may be against this, but I love the idea. Sinclair has been holding ROH down for a while and even if they get a spot on the Network that's a huge step up.

A downside most might not realize is that if this happens, we'll never see another Daniel Bryan ROH match. He's been hinting at wrestling again once his contract is up and if he still does that, he can't do it in a WWE owned ROH.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Will need to see more than 'we probably think that they may be talking, possibly.'

It would make watching RoH easier, but It'll probably get butchered to kingdom come. Sinclair will make a bundle though.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
How do you feel about this? What they chances of this happening? I've only watched ROH a few times, but it seems like it's the top indy promotion so WWE buying it out would be very interesting

WWE Reportedly Meets With Sinclair Broadcast Group About Potential Ring Of Honor Buyout - Wrestlezone

"Pro Wrestling Sheet is reporting WWE and Sinclair Broadcast Group have recently talked about a potential buyout of Ring of Honor

According to the report, WWE and SBG met in private, and several sources say the two have been in talks since January about the move, with moves for a possible takeover described as ‘slowly progressing’. If WWE were to take over the promotion, a full takeover including a weekly ROH TV show on WWE Network would be included, but it was not mentioned if the full active roster would continue with the promotion under the WWE umbrella.

It was noted that there is not an actual deal in place, and these are simply discussions at this time, meaning the buyout deal could always fall through if terms can’t be agreed upon. Representatives for both WWE and ROH declined to comment on the situation."

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I can honestly see the WWE eventually just buying every other company in the USA,
adding selected performers to their roster and adding all archive footage to the network.

Last edited:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I'd be surprised.
Sinclair likes ROH since it is cheap to produce content for all their TV channels that they can put on in between whatever sports games they are airing.

ROH under Sinclair are run on a tight budget, but it is from what I can gather a money making business for Sinclair. ROH's main problems are in the creative department these days with Delirious being a shitty booker and shitty backstage office head.

Not going to rule out this happening some day. But I'd be surprised.

Stopspot

Reaction score
My only question is does the ROH/New Japan merger still stand if the sale is made? Probably not but a man can dream.
There is no merger between ROH and New Japan. It's a working relationship with ROH in the role of bitch. And New Japan are preparing to drop ROH either way.

On topic. Not excited for this if it happens. WWE getting control of the US scene is bad news since it will allow them to minimize alternatives for talent to work. Which means that they can control how much people will earn since whatever places that exist outside of WWE will be so small that they cannot pay big money.

Reactions: ¡Tranquilo!

Stopspot

Reaction score
Chances of WWE buying ROH are very very slim.

Lets be clear here. ROH are not in financial troubles. They are having a creative crisis at the moment but their business is going strong. They just need a change of booker which would bring on some creative upheaval. SBG are not the ones holding ROH down. ROH are held down by Delirious.

This doesn't even factor in SBG being a bigger company than WWE. SBG have some deep pockets. And they need cheaply produced content for their myriad of TV channels they have across the country.

They won't sell cheaply either.This is not WWE swooping in to buy dept ridden ECW or the corpse of WCW. Sinclair bought ROH for roughly 2 million dollars and the value of the company has only gone up since. WWE bought WCW for 4.3 million (factoring in inflation more like 5.9 million). And ROH just recently turned down a 9 million dollar deal with FloSports.

My gut tells me the following if this is actually going on: Sinclair will listen to WWE's offer (because why wouldn't they?), WWE will offer something in the 3 million ballpark and Sinclair will walk away.

I'm reserving myself for this being wrestling and anything can happen in wrestling. But I would be VERY surprised if this went down.
Vince could of course overpay for it but it would be the wrong move for WWE, since they are much much better at taking a guy from outside of the WWE and making him a star, than producing a star from scratch. Not to mention that anyone in business understands that competition breeds innovation and is almost always good for business.

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
Chances of WWE buying ROH are very very slim.

Lets be clear here. ROH are not in financial troubles. They are having a creative crisis at the moment but their business is going strong. They just need a change of booker which would bring on some creative upheaval. SBG are not the ones holding ROH down. ROH are held down by Delirious.

This doesn't even factor in SBG being a bigger company than WWE. SBG have some deep pockets. And they need cheaply produced content for their myriad of TV channels they have across the country.

They won't sell cheaply either.This is not WWE swooping in to buy dept ridden ECW or the corpse of WCW. Sinclair bought ROH for roughly 2 million dollars and the value of the company has only gone up since. WWE bought WCW for 4.3 million (factoring in inflation more like 5.9 million). And ROH just recently turned down a 9 million dollar deal with FloSports.

My gut tells me the following if this is actually going on: Sinclair will listen to WWE's offer (because why wouldn't they?), WWE will offer something in the 3 million ballpark and Sinclair will walk away.

I'm reserving myself for this being wrestling and anything can happen in wrestling. But I would be VERY surprised if this went down.
Vince could of course overpay for it but it would be the wrong move for WWE, since they are much much better at taking a guy from outside of the WWE and making him a star, than producing a star from scratch. Not to mention that anyone in business understands that competition breeds innovation and is almost always good for business.

Are you anally retentive bro?