WWE exec says UFC has no real stars

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

1. That's not a fact. That's just something you just made up to put in that post. You can't prove that UFC is more talked about than WWE.

2. I've actually been laughed at for liking UFC, hearing everything except "it's fake".

3. UFC does outsell WWE in PPV's, I'll give you that.

4. That's because the UFC video game is better, it doesn't mean that UFC is more mainstream.

5. I really doubt that TUF equals Raw.

Almost every televised event WWE has, they sell out. There's around 16,000 people EVERY WEEK. Just because UFC is a real sporting event is why it's on sports networks, and just because it is, it still doesn't make UFC more mainstream.

But I'm done posting in this thread because this obviously isn't going anywhere. The UFC dickriders will continue to praise UFC and UFC's fighters, and WWE dickriders will continue to do the same thing UFC dickriders are doing.

1- No, it's true. I don't have statistical info, but I watch a shitload of TV, and I see it mentioned alot. I onyl see WWE mentioned if there's a steroid scandal.

5- Agreed. I meant to say SD and ECW. TUF doesn't come close to Raw.

Anyway, I'm not even trying to debate this. I just got sucked into it, and now have to 'stick up' for the UFC against Kaedon. If we go back to my original point though, it's that it's pointless that these two are evn compared. I agree with Chess, who said it's like comparing the NHL/NFL/whatever with WWE. It's stupid. That's why I posted the thread in the first place. To laugh at the fact that WWE would even need someone to bash/compare the UFC in the first place. There's no point.

Travis40

1- No, it's true. I don't have statistical info, but I watch a shitload of TV, and I see it mentioned alot. I onyl see WWE mentioned if there's a steroid scandal.

That's because UFC is a sport, and WWE is a show, and WWE is never on ESPN and TSN and other sports channels becuase it's entertainment. That bitch from the WWE is fucking Blue though, there's no way that you can compare UFC to WWE.

MikeRaw

That's because UFC is a sport, and WWE is a show, and WWE is never on ESPN and TSN and other sports channels becuase it's entertainment. That bitch from the WWE is fucking Blue though, there's no way that you can compare UFC to WWE.

And that's basically all that needs to be said. End of story, lol. You can't really compare. Facts can prove which is more popular, but in the end, it doesn't even matter. They're totally seperate genres, and totally seperate forms of entertainment.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Then you have obviously missed my point. Tiger has been dominant over a long period of time. Of course he doesn't win every event. In fact he loses more events than he wins. But he's dominant because in comparison to other players, his win per tournament ratio is unbelievable. To compare it to another sport, take game 3 from last night of the Lakers/Magic series. Today I heard a lot of talk about Kobe Bryant not coming through for the Lakers. He didn't have a great game last night but was still talked about a lot today because he is more often than not a great player that comes through, and it's something to talk about when he doesn't play great.

No, I get your point. Your logic is he's good, better than everyone else in his sport, for X amount of time, therefore he is popular. The problem is, there are TONS of people who are good in TONS of sports, and they arent famous for fuck all. There are tons of people who are the best of the best in their profession, be it musician or athlete, pro wrestler, or actor, and they arent as famous as those guys who have character.

John Madden was a joke of an announcer (by most accounts) for the last 5-10 years of his career. He repeated himself, he fell asleep on air for fucks sake, he rambled on and on about a certian premafuckingdonna quarterback who I hope tears his acl, but you could NOT, and now can NOT watch the sport and not see his influence somewhere. He's either being made fun of on the pre/post game show by Caliendo or hell, HIS GAME FRANCHISE OWNS THE NFL TRADEMARK for video games. There are tons, TONS of announcers who are lightyears better than Madden, but he had personality.

Lets go to music. Not many people can go down the list of past winners of American Idol, but you know who's name they DO know? William Hung, that no talent waste of space who had something that people wanted to see, for whatever reason.

Tiger Woods has transcended the game of golf, and you dont do that simply by being good. You have to have something that makes you different from those who have come before.

tnafan454

Reaction score
anybody else notice it is the WWE always seeming to talk shit on other promotions/sports

Reaction score
No, I get your point. Your logic is he's good, better than everyone else in his sport, for X amount of time, therefore he is popular. The problem is, there are TONS of people who are good in TONS of sports, and they aren’t famous for fuck all. There are tons of people who are the best of the best in their profession, be it musician or athlete, pro wrestler, or actor, and they aren’t as famous as those guys who have character.
He’s popular and people want to see him play because of how good he is. I think you’re not putting enough emphases on just how good he is. I mean from 1990-1997 before Tiger won his first major, there were other people that were considered the best in the game. The difference between them and Tiger is he is not only the best, but he’s completely dominant. So we aren’t just talking about someone that is the best today, but probably of all time, and that’s a big difference.

Also I would like some examples of people that have been the very best in their sport, or someone that was the best musician or pro wrestler that wasn’t the most famous.

I’m not completely disagreeing that people who aren’t the best get recognition and have a following because of some of their antics, because obviously they have. This debate all started when you said Tiger Woods was so popular because of his charisma, which isn’t the case. In golf, there is John Daly. He hasn’t been a good player in years, but he’s a fat slob with a good personality and the fans have gotten behind him. But in Tiger’s case, it’s because of his play, not because of his personality.

John Madden was a joke of an announcer (by most accounts) for the last 5-10 years of his career. He repeated himself, he fell asleep on air for fucks sake, he rambled on and on about a certian premafuckingdonna quarterback who I hope tears his acl, but you could NOT, and now can NOT watch the sport and not see his influence somewhere. He's either being made fun of on the pre/post game show by Caliendo or hell, HIS GAME FRANCHISE OWNS THE NFL TRADEMARK for video games. There are tons, TONS of announcers who are lightyears better than Madden, but he had personality.
That’s a poor example. First off, who’s to say that he isn’t the best ever? Being a commentator is all about being entertaining while you are calling the game and not boring the fans watching, and he did that better than anyone else.

Lets go to music. Not many people can go down the list of past winners of American Idol, but you know who's name they DO know? William Hung, that no talent waste of space who had something that people wanted to see, for whatever reason.
I have already agreed that people get noticed for crazy antics. But there is a big difference from an American Idol winner and Tiger Woods. These American Idol winners are good singers, but they aren’t unbelievable and better than anyone that has ever come before them, like Tiger Woods is in golf.

Tiger Woods has transcended the game of golf, and you dont do that simply by being good. You have to have something that makes you different from those who have come before.
He’s black. If we are talking about what’s different than people that came before him and aren’t talking about his actually play, then that’s pretty much the only difference. And there is no way that that’s the reason he’s so popular. What makes him different from the people that came before him is the fact that he is so good. To make this real simple, take away Tiger’s great golf game, and people wouldn’t give a crap about him because there’s nothing exciting about him aside from his great play.

Kaedon

Reaction score
He’s popular and people want to see him play because of how good he is. I think you’re not putting enough emphases on just how good he is. I mean from 1990-1997 before Tiger won his first major, there were other people that were considered the best in the game. The difference between them and Tiger is he is not only the best, but he’s completely dominant.

How do you become bigger than the sport itself simply by being the best? I just dont see it.

Also I would like some examples of people that have been the very best in their sport, or someone that was the best musician or pro wrestler that wasn’t the most famous.

Wrestlers
Chris Benoit
Arn Anderson
Harley Race
Nigel McGuinness
Charlie Haas
Shelton Benjamin
Dean Malenko
Lance Storm

All of these guys are/were amazing technical wrestlers, way better than Hogan, Austin, Rock, etc. But the difference is, they, for the most part, had dick for personality.

Musicians
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Yingwe Malmsteen
Joe Petrucci
Al Demolia

These guys are some of the techincally best players in the history of the god damn music, but who gets the press? Who gets named as the best time and time again? Jimmy Page, Angus Young, Ted Nugent, Jimi Hendrix, James Hetfield, Slash, and Kerry King, guys that have idiosyncracies that show when they are on stage.

Athletes

Aaron Rodgers fucking OWNED Brett Favre last year in stats. It wasnt even a fucking contest, but who got talked about more in the press? The southern boy who left his home in GB and went to NYC.

That’s a poor example. First off, who’s to say that he isn’t the best ever? Being a commentator is all about being entertaining while you are calling the game and not boring the fans watching, and he did that better than anyone else.
The best ever doesnt fall asleep during a show and doesnt allow himself to be mocked by people at every turn.

I have already agreed that people get noticed for crazy antics. But there is a big difference from an American Idol winner and Tiger Woods. These American Idol winners are good singers, but they aren’t unbelievable and better than anyone that has ever come before them, like Tiger Woods is in golf.
How do you know they arent? Whose to say Kelly Clarkson isnt better than Frank Sinatra?

He’s black. If we are talking about what’s different than people that came before him and aren’t talking about his actually play, then that’s pretty much the only difference. And there is no way that that’s the reason he’s so popular. What makes him different from the people that came before him is the fact that he is so good. To make this real simple, take away Tiger’s great golf game, and people wouldn’t give a crap about him because there’s nothing exciting about him aside from his great play.

And being different is that makes your personality, which is why these MMA fucks have NONE. They all look the same. There are a few like Brock who have massive amounts of tats or something, but by and large, these guys are all cookie cutter.

MikeRaw

anybody else notice it is the WWE always seeming to talk shit on other promotions/sports

No. I see TNA doing a ton of that. WWE did somethign stupid here, in comparing it to UFC, but seeing as your name is "tnafan454", go take a look at TNA, fanboy. I see repeated shots from then at WWE, which is even funnier, considering they're in no position to critisize.

MTG

Reaction score
Either way the guy who wrote this article is a dumbass.
Yea I'll admit WWE has more stars with more charisma but they also fucking spend years going to acting schools and they practice cutting promos. I mean it's quite natural for a show that is based around storylines to have better stars. MMA fans aren't interested in watching promos and storylines, they wanna see the fights.

Another thing is the WWE has been around for like 40 years ( i think) and the UFC has been around for about 10 years. If you compare the growth it has made in the past 3 years it's ridiculous. If UFC continues to grow at this rate by the time it's 40 years old it will destroy the WWE.

Oh and whoever brings up the point that the WWE action figures sell better than the UFC ones is a dumbass. About 50% of WWE fans are under 14 years old. About 10% of UFC fans are under 14 years old. Now how many people over 14 actually have action figures.(I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'm pretty sure alooot more Kids have action figures than grown up)

Edit:
And one more thing you have to know. MMA is illegal in many states.
Places like New York and Toronto are just starting to have talks with the UFC about holding events there. Until it becomes legal in most of the USA it won't sell 60,000 seats but it has sold out the Bell Center(twice) 21,793 seats.

Oh yea one more thing:

Top 10 North American PPV buy rates, 2008
1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000
2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000
3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul “Big Show” Wight, March 30, 670,000
4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch Aug. 9, 625,000
5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000
6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000
7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000
8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000
9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000
10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

Yea. UFC is on that list 7 times and WWE is on that list once.

/thread

MTG

Reaction score
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/char...ideos&f=Video+Sales+-+Recreational+Sports+DVD

how many UFC DVDs are there? And how many WWE ones are there? If UFC was THAT POPULAR, SO MUCH mORE THAN THE WWE, they should dominate that chart.

First of all you just showed me who has sold more DVD's THIS WEEK.

Second of all PPV revenues are much more important than DVD revenues.

Third if you want to talk about merchandise. You see a shitload more people walking around on the streets wearing Tapout or Affliction tshirts than a john cena t-shirt.

and last but not least, WWE is sports entertainment, they rely on characters and personas, the UFC is an actual sport (not dissing wrestling). Sports aren't meant to have characters, just athletes.

oh and how many WWE guys are sponsored by gatorade? none
GSP is :)

Christian

Reaction score
Either you don't have a fucking clue what I'm saying, or you typed it wrong. I wouldn't make fun of someone for liking UFC. If you read this thread, my whole posts were sticking up for UFC/MMA (which I like better than wrestling), against dudes like Kaedon, lol.

I didn't mean you as in YOU, I meant anyone reading the post who was deciding to make fun of someone for watching UFC. Then getting punched in the face.

xtremebadass

Wow dude this topic has a ton of replies, looks like it's a touchy subject with some people lol

Kaedon

Reaction score
First of all you just showed me who has sold more DVD's THIS WEEK.
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/char...ional+Sports+DVD+Sales&g=Year-end+Video+Sales

Second of all PPV revenues are much more important than DVD revenues.

Yeah once a month revenue is more important than recurring revenue....

Third if you want to talk about merchandise. You see a shitload more people walking around on the streets wearing Tapout or Affliction tshirts than a john cena t-shirt.

You see more wrestling shirts than you do MMA ones in general.

and last but not least, WWE is sports entertainment, they rely on characters and personas, the UFC is an actual sport (not dissing wrestling). Sports aren't meant to have characters, just athletes.

Which is why MMA guys ARENT mainstream, they have NO CHARACTER.

oh and how many WWE guys are sponsored by gatorade? none
GSP is :)

Yeah Matt Skinner is more popular than any WWE Superstar because he's sponsored by KFC. NOT!!!