WWE.com Breaks Kayfabe Big Time

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Wrestling Addict

Reaction score
This was posted on WWE.com in part of an article called, "Ecks Factor"

"...I did have a couple issues with it, however. For one, I wasn’t thrilled about Ryder getting a pinfall victory over Henry, who has been effectively built up a monster heel. Despite the fact that Henry was selling an ankle injury and Ryder needed Cena’s help to win, I think the loss weakened Henry’s aura. I also think that WWE needs to be careful not to overexpose Ryder. The WWE Universe clearly likes Ryder and wants to see him, but they may not want to see him quite as much as they did Monday night..."

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
This is so un-normal that I'm thinking it gets taken down asap cause this doesn't seem like something that would be approved.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
What exactly have they broke big time...?

Jay

Reaction score
Kevin Ecks has the freedom to write what he wants.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Yeah Im not sure how they're breaking kayfabe Built up effective heel is as close as they get. As to the point of the article Ryder was shown a bit much on Raw Monday but once and awhile like that I don't think is an issue.

Derrick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
samicalihan
I personally think that they do realize they just broke kayfabe. I mean, the whole Ziggler #heel thing and such.. Plus they know we fans aren't that dumb, we know everything about wrestling and such, and so why not, why not write all this? Sorry if this didn't make any sense, I'm waiting atm for a response from a girl I love if she'll be my gf. Whooh.

Zen

Reaction score
Yup, this is definitely a radical break. Just imagine when the kiddies start googling up those terms? Any word on whether it has been taken down yet?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
They hired Ecks to write this sort of thing. He did that before he came to WWE as a writer for I think the Sun and now he is doing that to add some more content to wwe.com. I don't think it is that big a deal since it is a writer commenting on what he saw on telelvision and I don't even think he broke kayfabe with what he wrote.

Zen

Reaction score
They hired Ecks to write this sort of thing. He did that before he came to WWE as a writer for I think the Sun and now he is doing that to add some more content to wwe.com. I don't think it is that big a deal since it is a writer commenting on what he saw on telelvision and I don't even think he broke kayfabe with what he wrote.

To me, the fact that he using terms like "selling" and referring to the mechanics of making wrestling appear real(selling), and tacitly implying that that wins are pre-determined breaks kayfabe. He isn't doing it blatantly, but any kid who googles up some of that stuff will be able to put 2 and 2 together. It is rather unusual for the WWE to do this sort of stuff. It would be kind of like if, during a match JR started yelling at Ryder to sell Henry's moves more...

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It would be odd if JR did that because he is a play by play announcer whereas this guy Ecks was a column writer before he came to WWE and was hired to write columns like this. They are two completely different roles and should cover different topics. Ecks is reviewing the show and so he adds some extra buzzwords that WWE normally ignore but I still don't think this is that big a deal.

Zen

Reaction score
It would be odd if JR did that because he is a play by play announcer whereas this guy Ecks was a column writer before he came to WWE and was hired to write columns like this. They are two completely different roles and should cover different topics. Ecks is reviewing the show and so he adds some extra buzzwords that WWE normally ignore but I still don't think this is that big a deal.

I agree that they are different roles, certainly, but the point I was attempting to illustrate was that NO WWE employee should be dropping such "hints" on any official WWE outlet. Of course commentating on TV is definitely more impacting -- but the site isn't exactly without poignancy either. I don't think this is a super big deal, I only think that this is a note worthy thing because it isn't something that is done typically (by the WWE at least) with maybe only one or two precedents before. Will this cause some uproar or massive amount of kiddies to stop believing in kayfabe? I doubt it. This is a change in the WWE's attitude -- that is all. Usually the WWE is very conservative. Remember, it has been said, that Vince particularly hates it when people use the vernacular of the smarks. I don't think this is too much of a problem, but if this becomes a regular fixture it could be.

rcoot93

Reaction score
i don't think it matters too much especially as they didn't really say much.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Be interesting to see if this is just a one off thing of if this new writer will start to push the boundaries and add more buzzwords in the coming months and continue to become more like most of the wrestling writers on the net.