WWE.com asks 'Does John Cena need a reboot?'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
John Cena is the biggest WWE Superstar of his generation.

Love him or hate him, it’s the truth. He’s won 10 WWE Championships, starred in movies, launched records up the Billboard charts and sold more T-shirts than Fruit of the Loom. But, despite all that, the Cenation leader still looked like a second banana standing next to The Rock in the main event of Survivor Series.

It wasn’t that the West Newbury, Mass., native didn’t appear physically intimidating or technically devastating, because he did. He just looked . . . secondary. Overshadowed by a Superstar so charismatic that he’s been dubbed The Most Electrifying Man in All of Entertainment, the hardworking competitor had trouble shaking off the New York City crowd’s deafening jeers with his trademark smile and shrug.

In the thick of that match, John Cena was being shown up at the one thing he does best in this world and the crowd knew it, The Rock knew it and Cena himself knew it. And it didn’t look good. (PHOTOS)

Keep in mind, this was all before The People’s Champion drilled his WrestleMania XXVIII opponent into the canvas with a thunderous Rock Bottom much to the delight of the Madison Square Garden faithful. His team may have won the match, but Cena definitely left Manhattan feeling like a loser.

Maybe that’s why WWE fans in Hershey, Pa., greeted Cena with a chorus of boos the following night on WWE Raw SuperShow. Obviously, it’s not the first time the Cenation leader has heard a few heckles. Opinionated members of the WWE Universe have been taunting the powerful Superstar ever since he hoisted his first WWE Title over his head — but this was different. The audience seemed to have lost confidence in their grinning hero and that’s because Cena chose to stand next to The Great One at Survivor Series in order to make it clear that he can stand next to him. Instead, he convinced everyone that the exact opposite was true.

Five months from his epic encounter with The People’s Champion on The Grandest Stage of Them All, Cena is already losing support and he needs to change that. Of course, more aggressive WWE fans would love to see him grow a weird beard and go all nWo on everyone, but Cena’s not about to do that. The guy has too many people looking up to him to suddenly become a spray paint can wielding coward — but he does need to rediscover his edge.

The problem is this: when you’re as superhumanly strong and effortlessly charismatic as John Cena, it’s easy to take your powers for granted. Even on a bad day, the one-time hip-hop head has been able to outmaneuver the roughest of his generation. But, suddenly, he’s being visited by a ghost of sports-entertainment’s greatest era come to life in the form of a legitimate Hollywood movie star with the type of physique they used to advertise in the back of comic books. It’s next level stuff — like fighting through the palookas in Nintendo’s “Punch-Out!!” only to come glove-to-glove with Mike Tyson. No matter how many times you KO Soda Popinski, it doesn’t make facing “Iron Mike” any easier.

So, before he heads to Miami for the biggest bout of his career, Cena needs to step his game up. To combat The Great One’s charisma, he has to bring back the suggestive rhymes that helped him turn heads during his days as The Doctor of Thuganomics. It’s no surprise that one of the biggest ovations Cena’s received in recent years came when he performed a scathing freestyle directed at The Rock. And the relaxed jocularity that helped him sail through rivalries with The Miz and Alberto Del Rio needs to be replaced with focus — the type of two-a-day determination that took Cena from the greasy bodybuilding gyms of L.A. to the biggest arenas in the world. This stuff is serious and he needs to recognize that.

Maybe then John Cena will be ready to become more than just the biggest WWE Superstar of his generation.
So what do people think of this then?

On RAW they mentioned that the pressure appears to be getting to Cena, but I really don't see how it is. He got straight up humiliated at Survivor Series and didn't even look close to being on par with Rocky, yet the night after he strolls out on RAW with his stupid shit eating grin and told his little story as if everything was all rosey amongst the CeNation.

I said to a mate on msn after Survivor Series that Cena needs to go on a losing streak for a month or two seen as though he is now in limbo. I'd have him get into a feud with someone like Ziggler who seems to be the next star and have him put him over. Could even do something as drastic as having Cena lose every match he's in from now up until after the Rumble which he is entered into. WWE gains a new top level heel on RAW while Cena kills some time leading into Mania, but also adds something to his character.

I'd have Cena cut a pissed off promo the night after the Rumble how his mind has been elsewhere, on The Rock and he hasn't been fully focused on what's been in front of him these past few months. I think it would be interesting for him to actually somewhat turn on the fans for a change aswell. Question how he turns up every day blah blah (the usual stuff he says) and still gets booed by a large part of the crowd and shown no respect yet The Rock shows up and gets unanimously cheered. Have him question what the crowd wants from him and maybe go semi-shootish and pander to the IWC asking if it's because he was the one to introduce to the current WWE belt, is it because he no longer comes to the ring rapping etc. I'd have him finish by saying he's no longer doing it for the fans, but for himself and once WrestleMania has been and gone, EVERYONE will have to respect him after he beats The Rock.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I think they're pushing that he is and has been just hiding it but it really does bother him deep down. Guess they'll slowly have him show that it does bother him which I think is the best way to go about this as this can be one of the more interesting things that Cena has been apart of in terms of his character. If they think this will get all the fans on his side though I doubt that but guess it's worth a shot.

Onyx

Reaction score
The Hot Rod was right about what he said Cena should do. Cena needs to let it al out. And what I mean is, let the HEEL OUT!!! Personally, I think this thing with Cena being boo'd by the fans, well make the Heel come out of Cena. And I would love to see a Heel Cena like from the good ol' days with Bull Buchanon.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
All this means to me is they realized the idea of announcing the Rock match a year ahead has two drawbacks. Cena can't have a role in the Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber. They need something to keep him busy, and they need something to keep him in an important angle on TV to please his fans as he is too big to simply disappear for a month or two. So they will tease him going heel or adding an edge to his character, but I'll laugh if they ultimately say fuck it this is who he is, hate him or love like always at the end of this

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
You don't think he's going to have a role in the Rumble or EC?

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I don't think he will have a role in the Rumble or Chamber matches. It is pointless really. He has no reason to want to be number contender for the title at WM, which is the goal of the events . At best he may get a title match which he gets screwed out of by Rock at one of the events, to further the angle of the fans booing him and cheering Rock no matter what. I don't think they thought about those two specific ppvs and it has come back to bite them in the ass in recent meetings when creative said crap, what does he do if he can't play a crucial role in those two marquee matches like the last couple of years.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I think he'll still be in the rumble and chambers but of course won't win them. Maybe build up that he wasn't focused enough to win the rumble or chamber or something like that to add to the storyline.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I think he'll still be in the rumble and chambers but of course won't win them. Maybe build up that he wasn't focused enough to win the rumble or chamber or something like that to add to the storyline.
What would be the point of the Rumble though? He isnt fighting for the title at WM, and the match determines the number one contender. It doesn't make sense to me.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
He isn't gonna actually win the rumble of course but he could easily say he would want to win the rumble and want his title match early as if I remember right didn't he try to do that before when he won the rumble? I just can't see them keeping him off PPV's even if the angle is important.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
WWE needs to wake up. Cena was prety cool back in 2005-2007. Now he´s just a bunch of bull crap. Now he´s like a punching bag with a sign Rise Above Hate. Somebody can stick a boot right straight his candy ass and he´ll do absolutely nothing about it. #teambringit

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Yeah it is pointless him being in there, but that's WWE booking themselves into a corner like usual. The only reason he wouldn't be in the Rumble is because he would be in the WWE Championship match, but that's pointless as the Rumble match itself is the draw of that PPV so you might aswell do someone like Punk/Ziggler.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Funny enough 05-07 was when the hate for him was at it's height.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
WWE needs to wake up. Cena was prety cool back in 2005-2007. Now he´s just a bunch of bull crap. Now he´s like a punching bag with a sign Rise Above Hate. Somebody can stick a boot right straight his candy ass and he´ll do absolutely nothing about it. #teambringit

They chanted fuck you Cena to him during that time at WM. He took way more shit that 2 year span with a smile on his face. Don't even get me started on the balls he had to walk into the Ballroom in 06

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
He does need a slight gimmick change but nothing drastic. Wrestlers should always be re-inventing themselves to keep their gimmick fresh and Cena has simply become a bit stale because he has basically done the same thing for the past five years. Not sure if WWE will want to change him though since he makes them so much money.

rcoot93

Reaction score
He could do with a little tweaking, perhaps a harsher attitude but nothing drastic as some people love him, and some love to hate him