WWE.com: 5 Most Wanted WrestleMania 29 Dream Matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
20121024_article_FULL_mostwanted_taker-hhh-hbk.jpg

One of WrestleMania’s many nicknames is The Showcase of the Immortals, and no contest would better fit that description than a Triple Threat Match between The Undertaker, Triple H and a returning “Mr. WrestleMania” Shawn Michaels. An all-encompassing match with these three WWE icons would be a thrilling culmination to their various battles over the past four installments of The Show of Shows.

The Phenom pinned HBK at WrestleManias 25 and 26 (retiring The Showstopper in the latter), and he forced The Cerebral Assassin to submit at WrestleMania 27. Michaels unwittingly became swept up in The Undertaker and Triple H’s Hell in a Cell duel at Wrestlemania 28, serving as the battle’s special referee who counted down The Game’s shoulders. In the WWE Universe’s collective memory, though, the lasting image from that night was the heartfelt embrace shared by Michaels, Triple H and The Undertaker following the merciless fight.

Of course, the tagline for last year’s Hell in a Cell Match was “End of an Era,” and HBK is technically retired. Still, the WWE Universe can’t help but wonder how these legends would react to this match being proposed. Would their competitive fires allow them to pass up such an assuredly epic encounter?

20121024_article_FULL_mostwanted_ajtrish.jpg

The in-ring endeavors of former Raw General Manager AJ Lee were derailed for the better part of 2012, thanks to her on-again/off-again relationships with Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Kane, not to mention her three-month stint as Raw’s top decision-maker. Yet, if her exploits away from the ring have proven nothing else, AJ is not easily intimidated.

For that reason, one of WWE’s most petite Divas could well hold her own in the ring against seven-time Women’s Champion Trish Stratus. Though the venerable Diva retiree would undoubtedly have the experience advantage, AJ would likely have the support of the WWE Universe in MetLife Stadium. (Having grown up in nearby Union City, N.J., AJ would be the hometown heroine.)

The basis for this dream match is simple: AJ is one of WWE's most popular Divas, and Trish was the ultimate Diva of her time. But for this bout to come to fruition at The Show of Shows, AJ would have to decide to commit to in-ring competition, not politics, and Stratus would have to entertain a return to action. Given that Stratus lent a hand to Snooki during a tag team match at WrestleMania XXVII, the latter option does not seem out of the question.

20121024_article_FULL_mostwanted_cenaryback.jpg

By endorsing Ryback as a WWE Championship contender, John Cena gave a huge vote of confidence to the insatiable monster. Yet, in doing so, the Cenation leader also — perhaps unwisely in the long run — put another obstacle between himself and the WWE's richest prize. Cena ostensibly invited as competition the 291-pound beast with a proclivity for leaving Superstars Shell Shocked.

For Ryback, a metaphorical pat on the back from Cena means far less than if he were to score a clean 1-2-3, in the ring, over the first-ballot WWE Hall of Famer. WrestleMania 29 could be just the event where Ryback gets his chance. Alternatively, a match against Ryback would give the 12-time World Champion an opening to put his strength and intensity to the test against the new monster on the scene.

A reprisal of the dynamics that made the WrestleMania VI main event of Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior so remarkable, the WWE Universe would witness two popular powerhouses — one established and the other a fast-rising up-and-comer — who respect each other but whose showdown seems inevitable. In the Cenation leader, WWE fans have a Superstar who, according to perception, is all but unbeatable. Then there’s Ryback, who appears literally unbeatable. Based on power maneuvers alone (and both Superstars’ unworldly strength), this match would be a spectacle to watch.

A Greco-Roman knuckle lock has never sounded so enticing …

20121024_article_FULL_mostwanted_brockpunk.jpg

Who wouldn't love to see what happens when two "Paul Heyman guys" collide? Common sense dictates Heyman would do anything and everything to keep his two biggest clients away from each other in the ring. Then again, the mastermind behind ECW has a well-honed eye for money match-ups, and he must realize —albeit reluctantly — that Punk vs. Lesnar has box office appeal written all over it.

The style clash makes it a tough match to predict. Lesnar is a juggernaut who has competed (and excelled) collegiately, in mixed martial arts and inside the squared circle. Punk took a completely different route to the main event, evolving from a scrappy, undersized heavyweight into one of the five longest-reigning WWE Champions of the last quarter-century. Other than each Superstar’s outspokenness, Lesnar and Punk share one common bond: their sly manipulator, Heyman.

Here's the rub (besides the seeming conflict of interest that this match would hold for Heyman): When the WWE Universe last saw Lesnar, he quit WWE on Tout. Now, his stern countenance appears front and center on the WrestleMania poster art. It is a development that has not been acknowledged on Raw, but begs the question, “What gives?”

The silence of WWE officials has only fueled speculation as to what it all means. Would Lesnar reconsider his abruptly announced retirement for a return to WWE and The Grandest Stage? Or has WWE put out feelers, via Heyman, for Lesnar's return? Whatever the impetus, this much is clear: WWE has not released outdated promotional materials to hype the biggest show of all time. Lesnar’s face on the WrestleMania 29 poster is no mistake.

20121024_article_FULL_mostwanted_2rockmankindhellno.jpg

Imagine, if you will, two diametrically opposed Superstars — former World Champions, let’s say — joining forces and, against all odds, overcoming their seemingly insurmountable differences to win the WWE Tag Team Titles. Not only are the odd couple’s mutinous tendencies strangely conducive to winning, but they also make the duo’s on-screen interactions insanely fun and entertaining.

Sound familiar? Today, of course, your mind races immediately to Team Hell No, but if you were to turn back the dial to 1999, the obvious answer would be The Rock & Mankind — the loosely-knit pairing known as The Rock ‘n’ Sock Connection. Given the obvious parallels, a match between these two teams would be a fitting addition to The Show of Shows.

Though the match would require WWE Legend Mick Foley to step back in the ring as a competitor, Team Hell No vs. The Rock ‘n’ Sock Connection has plenty of fascinating components.

Even if it's in tag competition, the notion of Daniel Bryan facing The Rock on The Grandest Stage of Them All would be enough to make most longtime Bryan fans' brains explode. Beyond the contest itself, however, part of the fun would be in the epic build-up. (The Rock would no doubt see the more farcical aspects of Team Hell No as nothing more than smack-talk fodder.)

The main obstacle to getting this match made may be the retired Foley. Or it could be the fact The Rock has a WWE Title Match with his name written on it at the Royal Rumble, and that could easily portend a main event position at WrestleMania 29. Then again, there's also Team Hell No's obvious combustibility to consider, as well.

Found the article on wwe.com to be interesting. It got me to thinking about these matchups, and I liked all of them but the tag title one as WM29 matches because I just can't see Foley moving that well at all sadly. The triple threat is a dream come true though as is Trish getting a one on one serious encounter.

So hypothetically speaking would you object to these matches being on the card? If so, what would be your five match choices?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
For comedy purposes Hell No vs Rock N Sock would be great. I like all of those minus that 3 way as I wanted that a few years ago but not now. Here is mine if I had to pick 5 other ones I'd want more.

CM Punk vs Stone Cold
Beth Phoenix vs Kharma (if she came back)
CM Punk vs John Cena vs The Rock
HBK vs Dolph Ziggler (selling galore)
Daniel Bryan vs Rey Mysterio

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I'd take HellNo vs Rock and Sock Connection right now because it would mean Rock's big ego wouldn't be the only thing being fed compared to him being in a singles match. I'd still take Rhodes vs Goldust but I still feel Rhodes is too high a level compared to Goldie, Rhodes vs DiBiase would be cool if DiBiase got away from that stupid posse shit. Punk vs Lesnar is another one of these I'd like to see, as long as brock doesn't completely dominate like he did at ER vs Cena. I don't get Trish vs AJ at all but AJ can work well when she puts her mind to it so it would be a decent match. HBK vs Taker vs HHH would be a NO go for me, and would probably end up in a death or something. Cena vs Ryback, maybe but I dunno

Dod Draper

Reaction score
I'd take HellNo vs Rock and Sock Connection right now because it would mean Rock's big ego wouldn't be the only thing being fed compared to him being in a singles match. I'd still take Rhodes vs Goldust but I still feel Rhodes is too high a level compared to Goldie, Rhodes vs DiBiase would be cool if DiBiase got away from that stupid posse shit. Punk vs Lesnar is another one of these I'd like to see, as long as brock doesn't completely dominate like he did at ER vs Cena. I don't get Trish vs AJ at all but AJ can work well when she puts her mind to it so it would be a decent match. HBK vs Taker vs HHH would be a NO go for me, and would probably end up in a death or something. Cena vs Ryback, maybe but I dunno

:peyton:

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Only matches I would truly like to see out of that list would be Punk/Lesnar and AJ/Trish.

Ryback vs. John Cena would be interesting, but I doubt the match would be any good. I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing that Tag Team match, although I think Rock could be used for a more high profile match. And the Triple Threat match would just be over-doing it completely. The matches before that were perfect, no need to go with it again.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
None of those are really dream matches for me.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Rock's ego was fed these past two manias, taking the spotlight away from Miz vs Cena at 27 and beating Cena at 28 when Cena should have won.

Rock was the only remotely interesting thing about that shitty main event.

Did Cena need the win anymore than him? It was in Rock's hometown, and it was a nice win to keep the fans who visited happy. Besides, it's inevitable that they'll rematch and Rock will put Cena over.

From everything I've read, ie autobiographies, Rock seems well liked and respected. The only guys who seem to dislike him being in WWE are younger guys who are pissed off because he's at Wrestlemania when they're not.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Rock was the only remotely interesting thing about that shitty main event.

Did Cena need the win anymore than him? It was in Rock's hometown, and it was a nice win to keep the fans who visited happy. Besides, it's inevitable that they'll rematch and Rock will put Cena over.

From everything I've read, ie autobiographies, Rock seems well liked and respected. The only guys who seem to dislike him being in WWE are younger guys who are pissed off because he's at Wrestlemania when they're not.

I don't want a rematch between the two ever. It was once in a life time and I don't want to live through all the promos again, where one botches one week, the over botches the next, then Cena does a cheesey promo, followed by Rock doing a cheesey promo. You have a point about Cena not needing the win, but did Rock really need it when he was gone again the next month? Him winning doesn't make any sense because he could lose to hornswoggle and still be mad over.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Yeah I'm not really seeing any of these matches as dream matches. The 3 way just seems like a way to keep all 3 of them together for 5 years straight. Overdone.

AJ/Trish would be nice but I'd prefer crazy AJ vs. crazy Mickie vs. crazy Victoria. Add Trish as special guest ref. That'd make it real interesting and fun.

Cena vs. Ryback... hmmmmm... nah.

Punk vs. Lesnar would be the only real highlight. Also seeing where Heyman would be in the match. Just the story that could be told there would be beyond awesome.

The tag title match... meh.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Rock & Sock vs Hell No= Ratings!, I would even consider spending $50 if this was on the card.

I would also add Cena vs. Undertaker for one of my dream matches. I just want to see the biggest "gothic" superstar in WWE history to beat the living crap out of the biggest "rapper" superstar in WWE history.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Not into the triple threat match at all, I like that HBK is sticking to his retirement and if I'm being honest I think it's time for Taker to either walk away or give someone a rub (Although I don't think the streak will ever end)
Not sure how AJ makes it onto the "Dream Match" list, she's wrestled what 10 matches.... My dream divas match would be Trish vs Lita (again)
I would guess we are eventually headed for a Cena/Ryback feud and match and I'm ok with that as long as it is a ways down the road and both are at the top (think Hogan/Warrior with slightly better ring work, slightly)
Punk/Lesnar is intriguing but I think almost all of us agree that Punk/Austin would be more of a Dream Match
I LOVE the idea of the tag match, Maybe Wrestlemania 30 so they can still have Rock there to bump the buyrate, but not take much spotlight from Punk/Austin and Cena/Taker (using my awesome power of assumption that these 2 matches will headline an event that takes place 18 months from now)

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
lol Cena v Ryback 'dream match'......thats a barely acceptable main event for Raw, let alone Mania.

Punk/Lesnar is somewhat intriguing as I do like fresh feuds at Mania. No idea how they will get around the size difference, because really a near-300lbs former cage fighter shouldn't be getting beatdown by a guy half his size.

I do like the idea of that triple threat too, wouldn't want HBK to 'unretire' unless it was for an absolute mega match like The Rock, but the past story and few years of build up would make it pretty cool and makes a lot of sense. Of course I'd rater see Taker/Cena or Taker/Goldberg etc before that though.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Ryback/Cena would probably only be good for the crowd reaction. Honestly I can see the crowd being really behind it.

Trish/AJ doesn't truly appeal to me really.

That Triple Threat Match would have been pretty awesome a few years ago where all three guys bodies didn't hate them so much, but now? It would be cool for older fans, but it would most likely be a train wreck.

The tag match would be pretty awesome to see. I think it would be one Hell of an experience for Bryan, that's for sure.

Punk/Lesnar would be wicked for the storyline only really. Seeing who Heyman would support and such. Would be pretty fun to see though.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
First three do nothing for me, but last too are intriguing. Lesnar-Punk would be interesting and the tag match would be great comedy, not a big fan of comedy at Mania though.