• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WWE Brand Split News, Rumors, and Other Tidbits Thread

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Latest reports on the WWE brand split

Not sure how accurate this is

First Point
2 Women's title's? I'm not sure if that is a good idea you need much more women on the mains, just keep them on RAW since it's longer

Second Point
the event Schedule, few things
1.Backlash is back, it's Smackdown and Network exclusive probably since it was added close to Summerslam, not sure if this is true
2.Night of Champions rennamed Clash of Champions in WCW homage, cool idea
3.Survivor Series is 4 hours, if they are really doing this they better have enough going on both shows
4.No Mercy is back, Smackdown exclusive, also has set venue
5.Another event titled Roadblock is shown for before the Rumble and after TLC, Raw exclusive, note the other Roadblock isn't shown possibly because Network exclusive, this one might be available on ppv

If this is true then you need 2 full functioning rosters, this also means there will be more ppv names returning to fill the beginning of next year for both shows, once again, not confirmed

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Wrestling doesn't run my life, and you have a point about not taking the entire time to watch. With pvr and such. Hell every other week I'm on afternoons so I have no choice but to record it. And smackdown I haven't watched hardly at all since I've returned. But with the brand split I definitely want to try and watch both shows if possible. Weigh out the differences and either just pick one and go with it or continue to watch both, we shall see. Time will tell.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
But the thing is, ima be a new daddy I'm august. Sooooo that much rasslin isn't going to fit too easily into my already busy schedule lol

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
But the thing is, ima be a new daddy I'm august. Sooooo that much rasslin isn't going to fit too easily into my already busy schedule lol

Congratulations.

And it's always good to know there will be another Cena/Roman mark running around....:hhh2:

wk

Roadster

It's been bandied about that what would make sense would be for Raw (the FLAGSHIP) to be geared more toward the "casual fan" while Smackdown would be more wrestling-oriented and geared more toward the "hardcore fan"/IWC/those guys who don't just watch WWE.

If that's true, then having separate rosters, titles, PPV's, etc., makes sense. The Raw crowd will be more about popularity, merch sales, kids, etc., while the SD crowd will want workrate, sophistication, international wrestlers, etc.

As to the multiple PPV's (why do we still call them that when the majority of people who watch them don't actually pay per view anymore but subscribe to the Network?) in a month, the problem with the branded PPV's in the past was that WWE was asking you to throw down $40/month for half the roster and half the storylines. With the Network, it becomes a bonus special show to watch every month. If you don't want to watch the glitz and glamour of Raw, you won't be as inclined to sit through 3 hours of the Roman Reigns...........er, John Cena Comedy Show. If you don't care to watch the gritty, rough, stiff work of workrate-judged pro wrestling that Smackdown provides, you won't be as inclined to sit through 3 hours of Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura.

Either way, this brand split seems to be hedging toward offering two distinct products to WWE fans in a situation in which not every WWE fan is going to watch every hour of WWE programming.

And, by the way, what's with this "dedicating 3 hours a week to Raw plus a further 2 to SD plus PPV's......"? It hasn't taken me 3 hours to watch Raw in a couple of years and it doesn't take me 2 to watch SD, unless I have the option of watching live (which is more normal during the summer when I have less going on in the evenings). Even so, it's wrestling, guys...it's entertainment. Don't let it run your whole life.

wk
SmackDown has always been geared to the more hardcore fans, and RAW to the more casual fans. This was well-documented alongside Thunder, which WCW also marketed to a more pure wrestling fan base. It's still such, right now.

I think 2 PPVs is a perfect way to utilize both talents on both brands. The problem with the original PPV split, was the long amounts of time in PPVs, that couldn't translate high PPV audiences into increasing audience figures. Most people that watched certain brands, didn't care to wait 2 months to see their PPV finally take place, and if they did wait they could expect a great card, which was hardly delivered on. They have the talent, resources and ability to put on great shows, and deliver on them.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
I don't think 2 PPV is needed. They can still highlight talent without needing 2 PPV. It's a little too much. The brand split is a good idea in and of itself. And it mixes things up for a bit.

As far as the validity of the rumors; well, they're just rumors so I take it with a grain of salt. All I know is that WWE needs 2 world champions. This shows true separation and can focus attention on the brands individual world champion.

US title does to one show while the IC title goes to the other. I would prefer 2 tag team titles, only because there's a shit load of tag teams. Let 2 of them be the "champs."

The women's title should be one title, for now. The reason is that the divas division doesn't have as many contenders. Thus, I don't think 2 women's champions makes sense just yet. Once it builds, then introduce another title perhaps?

All in all, I love this idea and am looking forward to the draft and battleground. For once, WWE is doing way better and seems to be putting more effort into their shows and PPV.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Been hearing so much about having to split up Reigns and Cena... Why? Wouldn't having those two on the same show - so fans can be doubly happy or avoid them if they want - be a good thing?

If they do split them up... Cena on Raw, Reigns on Smackdown simply has to be done. The show-opening 20 minute promo isn't going away...

Ive always liked the idea of 2 brand titles (all belts). I like seeing champion vs champion. Your best vs my best. I love team rivalry.

We are in the VS phase now anyway. Superhero vs Superhero and all that. There should have been a bigger reason for the split though. Maybe people siding with Shane or something. Doesn't matter at this point

Like most WWE ideas, this could be great, but it will probably get screwed up.

Cloud

Champion
I like the idea of a brand split. Some PPV's could be epic like Clash of Champions. Plus exposure of the mid card could create some serious stars. Cesaro!!!!!!! Wyatt!!!

Roadster

Ive always liked the idea of 2 brand titles (all belts). I like seeing champion vs champion. Your best vs my best. I love team rivalry.

We are in the VS phase now anyway. Superhero vs Superhero and all that. There should have been a bigger reason for the split though. Maybe people siding with Shane or something. Doesn't matter at this point

Like most WWE ideas, this could be great, but it will probably get screwed up.
I always love the rebellion storylines, but that would cause a sharp divide into the WWE's roster. Since Stephanie McMahon is virtually a heel in the eyes of fans, despite not being portrayed like that on TV, and Shane is the obvious popular and face of the two - it would result in Heel vs. Face. And we can't have a heel brand vs. a face brand, and it's inevitable that the only way to continue that angle is by having faces align with one and heels with the other. It's just a big cluster fuck, really that won't benefit anyone.

Roadster

Been hearing so much about having to split up Reigns and Cena... Why? Wouldn't having those two on the same show - so fans can be doubly happy or avoid them if they want - be a good thing?

If they do split them up... Cena on Raw, Reigns on Smackdown simply has to be done. The show-opening 20 minute promo isn't going away...
Sorry for ripping into everyone of your posts, son.

But it's the same reason Austin and Rock were split up. It's the same reason Undertaker became SmackDown exclusive. It's to add star power and a veteran figure on the brand that is touted to be built on the shoulders of un -stablished midcarders which is what SmackDown was. Adding so much star power onto one brand, not only causes problems that one brand would have two faces with equal pull by the offices to become major stars, but leaves the opposite brand a mile behind. The brand wouldn't look professional, it wouldn't look on-par with the other and it will look like a B-league. It's bad for the image and production of the opposite brand to have two equally big stars on the same show, unless one was to be reduced to midcard, which won't work since Cena still has a large following anywho.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Sorry for ripping into everyone of your posts, son.

But it's the same reason Austin and Rock were split up. It's the same reason Undertaker became SmackDown exclusive. It's to add star power and a veteran figure on the brand that is touted to be built on the shoulders of un -stablished midcarders which is what SmackDown was. Adding so much star power onto one brand, not only causes problems that one brand would have two faces with equal pull by the offices to become major stars, but leaves the opposite brand a mile behind. The brand wouldn't look professional, it wouldn't look on-par with the other and it will look like a B-league. It's bad for the image and production of the opposite brand to have two equally big stars on the same show, unless one was to be reduced to midcard, which won't work since Cena still has a large following anywho.

It's alright Dad. Enjoying the posts!

You see now how weird my wrestling views have become, I suppose.
A big part of why I say that is we have different views on what a "fan" sees since it's not like new eyeballs are coming in. The guys like AJ Styles and Kevin Owens are fairly well established to the current audience.
Giving people a break from the super-faces - SD with Ryan Ward's writing helps - is a good start to helping get some older fans to come back to the product and possibly even find a way to be satisfied with something. Still a mile to go, but...
That should be a focus for WWE. I'd love to go talk to some lapsed wrestling fans and say "Hey, maybe you can check out Smackdown, there's some killer stuff going on over there!" and not make us embarrassed to admit we watch - even to other wrestling fans.

And I wouldn't say Roman Reigns is established. At all. So much has been put into this guy, but he's not drawing. He's not selling merch, not popping ratings, not drawing crowds, nothing. He doesn't need to carry a brand, him being involved in a seperate storyline (not "midcard for life", just let him actually do important things for once) is best for him. Obviously Roman CAN draw and could someday, but laying off that dude (or the heel turn) would be for the best.

All three Shield guys are doing pretty well right now, I'd say. What's the harm in having Ambrose/Rollins carry Smackdown for a bit while you establish some more guys? They wouldn't make it feel much more "B-league" than Cena would. There's a ton of dudes on this roster you can try out in the main event spot that'll do a lot of good for the product...

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Fun fact: The WWE world title is being referred to as simply the 'WWE Championship' again.

So, yeah... SmackDown is definitely getting its own world title again following the draft. I wouldn't mind seeing the Big Gold Belt being revived again.

Koko B.

The Lunatic Fringe
Can we make bets on how long the split lasts? At some point they will do another "Champion -vs- Champion" reunification and the split will be no more. Before or after 5 years?