WWE Bragging Rights 2009 PPV Review

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
WWE Bragging Rights 2009 PPV Review

Firstly, This is my first full-PPV review and I hope to do some more in the future. I used a quick review format for every match except the Orton/Cena match (Becuase I've already reviewed it fully) so I added that review in. WWE did a good job of promoting this 7 on 7 main event match-up which would feature Smackdown & RAWs best 7 wrestlers. DX would supposedly lead RAW into the battle whereas Jericho would lead Smackdown into the match. Several times, WWE teased that members of the Raw roster had issues with some of the other members but both teams appeared to be united as the PPV stars.

As the show goes on the air, Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler & Todd Grisham exhibit the Bragging Rights trophy that is situated at ringside, Next to the announce desk. Cole mentions that JR is ill and can't make it to the show (Which is the reason for there being a 3-man announce team). Right away you can predict that SD & RAW would each win one match then the decider would be the 7-on-7.

The First Smackdown Vs. Raw "Bragging Rights" Match
John Morrison vs. The Miz

Just by the opening promo, You can see how much better Morrison is at taking the piss out of people and how he should be a heel. The Miz & Morrison both tease eachother saying that the opposite person is the "Janetty" of the team. I hate how these two constantly use this insult against eachother (They did it several weeks ago during NXT). In some ways, Smackdown was appearing as the heels of this PPV because Jericho headlined the show and since Morrison is associated with Jericho, He came off as a heel as he exchanged insults with Miz. That was much better than anything he's doing today. The first minute or so was very sloppy. I've no clue what Miz and Morrison were trying to do but they just kept rolling around on the floor and Morrison had his arms around Miz for the duration of the first minute. Miz soon riggles out and locks in a coller-to-elbow tie up. That should have happened at the start of the match instead of the pointless timewasting wiggling. At several points, Miz and Morrison both break their concentration and pause to look at the Bragging Rights trophy. The trophy is being hyped up so much that it's taking away from the wrestlers in the ring. Miz & Morrison could have put on a better match (They did on NXT a few weeks ago). The finish was somewhat weak. Miz attempted to put Morrison in the skull crushing finale position but Morrison blocked and delivered a side-russian legsweep. Morrison went to the top rope but Miz pushed the ropes so Morrison landed awkwardly. Morrison fell off the top rope and hit his head pretty hard. Miz then pins him. The Miz could have connected with a skull-crushing finale but he chose not to. I think the victory would have been better for Miz because then he could claim he defeated Morrison with a move, Not just a push. Anyway, The action (For the most part) was good and even though the attention wasn't on them for most of the match, They managed to produce an alright wrestling contest. It wasn't their best match together but it did alright.

Match Length: 12 Minutes
Match Rating
: ★★ 3/4

The Second Smackdown Vs. Raw "Bragging Rights" Match
Raw Divas vs. Smackdown Divas

Typical divas match. SD won so that made RAW 1 - 1 Smackdown. I didn't really pay much attention to be honest.

Match Length: 7 Minutes
Match Rating
: ★

CM Punk vs. The Undertaker vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship

Going into the contest, Todd tells us that Batista wished Mysterio luck but he was leaving the show with the belt. WWE yet again make people aware of how small Mysterio is and yet again, The announcers say "Mysterio is the underdog". Alot of decent action can be seen here especially towards the end where it seemded like the four were just trying to hit a bunch of moves in limited time. I would have loved to see Punk win but I am somewhat happy Taker won considering the events outside of the match. I feel that if the belt had changed hands, The event after the match would have took away from the title change. The end happens when Punk is unable to gain a pinfall. Mysterio gets tossed onto Punk and they fall to the outside. Undertaker tombstones Batista and gets the pinfall. A ton of decent action from this contest and towards the end, I loved the action. As soon as Josh Mathews entered the ring, I knew Mysterio would suffer some beating. This contest should have been seriously longer. For what could have been tons better, This match was good. If WWE had given them 10 more minutes, We'd be looking at a different picture. As for Batista turning, This was meant to be a "Shocking" moment in Smackdown history and the segment actually didn't do alot for me. Maybe it was the fans taking the piss out of Batista. Maybe it was the panting from Batista and how plain stupid the situation seemed since Batista was the one who was pinned and Rey didn't have much to do with it. Batista really didn't need to turn on a show that was already full with heels (Jericho, Kane, Punk and now Batista).

Match Length: 10 Minutes
Match Rating
: ★★★ 1/4

The Deciding Match In The "Smackdown vs. RAW - Bragging Rights" Match

DX and the RAW roster appear first. Raw feels like they are the faces of this match since DX are the leaders who are opposing a cocky arrogant Chris Jericho. Smackdown came out but first, Jericho & Kane (Who demanded that he would co-lead the team) made solo entrances. Then, The rest of the team appeared. Jerry Lawler proved just how little he knows regarding the Smackdown roster. He continued to refer to the wrong wrestlers and call them by the wrong name. Overall, The action seen in this match is great (Most people got a decent amount of time). For the most part, This match gave young unexperienced guys (Jack Swagger, Cody, Hart Dynasty, Truth) to work with such stars like HHH, Shawn Michaels, Finlay, Kane and Chris Jericho. Soon, The match became chaotic. Everyman got involved in the match as everyone entered the ring. Several SD stars tried to take down Mark Henry and after a while, They did. The ending happened when Kofi was on the top rope and Show chokeslammed him. For those unaware, Big Show was on the RAW team (And was also Jericho's partner.. Who was the leader of the SD team). Show clearly took his team more seriously than his brand and therefore helped Jericho win. After the match, Jericho & the SD team picked up the trophy and celebrated. Todd Grisham celebrated at ringside whilst Lawler threatened to punch him. Bottom line: Smackdown wins the trophy. Smackdown again proved not to be the B show (More like the joint A show). I'm glad SD did win (Normally, Smackdown win these types of things). Surprisingly, This match only lasted 15 minutes. This contest could have been much longer.

Match Length: 15 Minutes
Match Rating
: ★★★ 1/4

WWE Bragging Rights 2009 - John Cena vs. Randy Orton - WWE Championship - 60 Minute Iron Man Match

An amazing backstory for this match tbh. Promos show that this rivalry has lasted for 2 years. I'm exhausted after watching all these matches. These two men have battled in several good matches and this feud culminates after this match. Cena is shown preparing his iron man match. The announcers play on how Orton is evil and has attacked Cena's father and has really put Cena through some tremendous pain. Cena also claims that if he loses against Orton - He will leave RAW. But if Cena wins, Orton won't get a chance to fight for the WWE belt.

Orton enters first and the announcers continue to say "If Cena loses, He's going to Smackdown!" WWE Are really doing a fantastic job at making Smackdown the #2 brand. Cena enters and the crowd actually cheer - Unlike at previous PPVs. This is the first Iron man match that I've watched all the way through. The clock appears and the match begins.

Firstly, Cena and Orton lock up and Cena tackles Orton. Lawler, Cole and Grisham say that it's important to reserve your energy for this contest. Orton and Cena clearly know eachother so well that they can counter every move - Which they do. After 4 minutes, Cena applies the STFU on Orton and Randy taps out quickly - Most likely so he can last the rest of the time. That's smart by Orton. Between falls, The wrestlers are allowed 30 seconds to relax.

Cena and Orton begin fighting and suddenly Orton gives Cena a scoop slam. Orton continues to glance at the clock. Orton begins to pummel Cena. Orton keeps the match basic and simple - By applying a headlock on Cena and placing himself so he can see the clock. After a minute, Cena shows amazing strength by getting out. Cena goes to the top rope. Cole almost wets his pants by saying "Could Cena go up 2-0?". Cena points to the crowd and tells them that he's going for a 5-knuckle-shuffle.. But RKO By Orton! Orton covers Cena and gets the pin. 1-1.

Even though both wrestlers have 30 seconds to relax, Cena still doesn't get himself together. Orton runs at Cena and pushes him off the ropes and into the barricade at ringside. The action is focused on the ringside area now as Orton bangs Cena's head into the steel steps. Orton's eye turn evil as he undresses the announce table. He picks up a monitor and bashes Cena across the head. Orton hits Cena with a microphone. The WWE management have decided to stop the clock whilst they wipe the blood away from Cena.. But John goes crazy and has snapped. Cena hits Orton and throws him over the ropes. Orton gets the upper hand and throws Cena into the steps where Cena's head bounces off brutally. Blood is dripping down Cena's head but he still kicks out. The announcers play up the fact that Cena has 45 minutes left.

The crowd chant along with Cena in a "You can't see me!" chant. Cena connects with the FU.. Or did he? It appears at second look that Orton hit a RKO. Orton's hand is over Cena but Cena's hand is over Orton. The ref counts and it appears that they each get a fall - In what appears to be a double pinfall. The score is now 2-2.

In what is the best move of this match so far, Cena FUs Orton off the top rope. He pins Orton - 3-2 to Cena. All of a sudden, Rhodes & DiBiase run into the ring and beat up Cena. DiBiase hits "Dream Street" on Cena and Rhodes drags Orton's lifeless body onto Cena. The ref counts and the match is now 3-3. Kofi Kingston runs in with a chair and he runs after Legacy. They begin to wrestle up the ramp. In what is an absolutely crazy matter of minutes. Cena gets chucked into the electrical power base and that sets off fireworks that are on the stage. Then Cena gets thrown through the setting - A massive explosion engulfs the area. Orton turns Cena over and covers him for the pin - Orton leads at 4-3 with 34 minutes left. Orton walks over to the power guy. He pushes several of the buttons which cause explosions on the stage. Holy shit. Orton is going to blow up Cena. Firstly, He whacks a steel chair into Cena's head. He then drags Cena over to the spot where the explosion will go off. He walks over to the power area where he pushes the button but it won't work. He pushes some other buttons but Cena gets out of the way before he gets blown up. Holy fucking shit.

Orton figures out that Cena didn't get burned and he punches and kicks and basically goes insane at Cena. Once back at ringside, Orton hits Cena with some steel steps which bounce off the head of Cena. He covers Cena who kicks out. Orton stands over Cena and bends over Cena but John rolls up Orton and gets the pinfall. Currently, The scores are drawed at 4-4. Orton doesn't care about the 30 second interval as he goes crazy but eventually is fulled off by Mike Chioda. Once the match starts again, Orton drags a lifeless Cena to the edge of the ring where only his head is dangling over the end of the ring. Orton drags all of Cena's body over the ring, but leaves Cena's legs in the ring. He drops Cena on his head in a rope-hung DDT. Orton covers Cena and gets the fall. Orton leads at 5-4.

The action returns to the ring. Orton continues to let Cena rise to his feet - Then he makes his move. Cena arises to his feet and Orton begins to punch Cena but John counters and punches back. Randy rushes out of the ring and up the ramp. Cena and Orton stare at eachother. Cena slowly walks up the ramp. Orton runs away. Everytime Cena tries to fight Orton, Randy walks away. Orton tries to keep his dominance on the scoreboard as he tries to stall the match. Orton goes for another rope-hunf DDT but Cena battles out and runs over into the crowd. Cena chases him. Orton runs up the audience but Cena follows him. We are reminded that falls do count anywhere.

Cena hits Orton with a barrel. Orton runs to the otherside of the audience and Cena follows him. Cena covers Orton but Randy kicks out. Cena tosses Orton into a barricade and Orton falls ontop of the barricade and the carricade breaks! Cena positions the steps next to the announce table. He removes the monitors away from the announce table. Cena takes the other half of the steps and bashes it across the head of Orton. The momentum has shifted! Cena says "Fuck It" but Lawler says he said "Finsih him". Cena picks Orton up and takes him over to the steps that are positioned infront of the announce table. Cena drives Orton through the announce table in a holy shit moment! Cena covers Orton and gets another fall. We are tied at 5-5. Cena covers Orton again but Randy kicks out. There is disbelief on the face of Cena.

John pulls the ring skirt up and takes a look underneath. He pulls out a table and positions it in the ring. 6 Minutes remain. Cena places Orton on the table and climbs to the top rope. He jumps off but Orton moves and Cena goes crashing through the table. 4 Minutes remain. Orton and Cena are on their knees as they exchange punches. Cena and Orton iris whip eachother but Cena bounces into the Ref. Shame that the referee got knocked out because I hoped this would be a match where that didn't happen. Cena turns around and Orton RKOs him. Orton covers Cena and a new ref appears. Cena kicks out. Orton pushes the new ref and he bounces onto the ringside floor. Orton's face expressions are classic as he looks pure evil. If you ever rewatch this match, Look at 1:11 and you'll laugh so hard at Orton's face expressions. Cena locks in SFT as the ref regains his composure. 32 Seconds remain. Will Orton tap? Orton's sense of time is nonexistant. Orton taps as the click goes on 2 seconds. The scores are 6-5 to Cena as the bell rings to signify the end of the contest.

That was a f'in awesome match. I've just gained tons of respect for Cena and Orton now they've put on this contest. An amazing match and I wouldn't mind watching it again. The contest could have started with more mat-based wrestling, but except for that - Pure awesomeness.

Match Length: 60 Minutes
Match Rating
: ★★★★ 1/2.

Best Match: John Cena vs. Randy Orton
Worst Match: Raw Divas vs. Smackdown Divas
Overall Grade: B-/C+ (The opening two contest weren't great but the last 3 really were good and helped boost the grade).