WWE Battleground Scores Third Lowest Buy Rate in History

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Hey, this is kind of old news but it's the first I'm hearing of it. Apparently Battleground only garnered 122,000 buys, the third lowest in history. The 2011 edition of Vengeance only managed to draw 121,000 buys, edging out Battleground by a hair as one of the biggest flops WWE has ever produced. Any thoughts on this matter? Payback drew 186k buys, not a bad figure for a debut, and then there's Battleground...I personally don't see it making this year's PPV line up...

Here's the link to the article I found this information. http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...nary-ppv-buys-for-hell-in-a-cell-battleground

Tumbas' #1 Fan

Guardian
Reaction score
I actually liked the concept & look of Battleground. The PPV itself did not sound exciting.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
It was in October, right? From what I recall most of those PPVs didn't really seem great on paper and there are tons of PPVs around that time. They're always going to get bad buyrates (relatively bad, anyway).

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score
I only saw Battleground for the first time a couple days ago, and, uh...I don't even remember it, lol. Not surprised about the buyrates, everybody knew it was just filler.

Nano

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Website
www.pheed.com
I bought the PPV but it was boring imo. I bought it just to see how it was BG, but I don't think I'll buy it next year.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Third lowest buyrate in history? I'm surprised it wasn't the lowest (well, not really, but...)

It was a shit PPV with a shit build. The title vacancy clearly didn't intrigue people like they thought it would (I wonder why) and neither did the usual line-up of matches you can expect to see on almost any given Raw like Axel/R-Truth, Wyatt/Kingston, Real Americans/Khali & Santino, AJ/Brie, etc. ADR can't draw, Ryback has no momentum and only further served to help drag the Punk/Heyman feud down into mediocrity and while the Rhodes/Shield stuff was well built and interesting, 99.9% of regular fans aren't gonna put money down to see a PPV just for it's tag team title match. All in all, there was no hook to order this. Never mind that most of the card was thrown together in the last week or so on top of it.

It's also damage control to blame it even partially on being a new PPV name. I don't think hardly any fans care whether it's a new PPV title or just a familiar one that they're used to seeing unless there's a special gimmick that comes along with it (i.e. MITB, Extreme Rules, etc.) Regardless, I'm sure WWE has the usual excuses lined up for the next stock holders meeting - new PPV name, Bryan can't draw, Cena wasn't on the card, people couldn't purchase the PPV due to a mysterious blackout throughout the country caused by aliens, etc.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Shut the doors Vincey, its over.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
I have serious deja vu on this entire thread.

But to point I don't remember the card being great and am sure the build was poor as well.

DK JAMES

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
akiratozawa
Well aren't I glad I never went to Battleground in Buffalo. I honestly don't remember what was on the card but yea, not many people are going to be buying DVDs anymore with the network.