WWE 2009 - The WWE Championship Scene

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
I think it's too early in the BTB to have a crazy deviation from the norm, so let's say Orton retains. I'll pick CM Punk out of favoritism, then go with Team HHH because I would like to see Dibiase Jr. get a run.

Let's say HHH doesn't join Legacy though despite the win. The IC title may open the entire show so that'll be first of these matches. The Eight Man Tag probably goes the longest and let's say HHH pins Paul London.

Reactions: Stojy

The ScapeDubb

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
The next post in here will be Summerslam so thought I’d allow anybody who is interested the chance to leave some predictions on our featured matches.

PREDICTIONS CONTEST:

WWE Summerslam

August 16th, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Staples Centre

WWE Championship Match:
Randy Orton (c)
defends against John Morrison
As cool as this would be, I think it's probably too quick to give Morrison the title, so I think Orton will hold on.

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match:
CM Punk (c)
defends against Bryan Danielson
I suppose this could go either way, but I think there's still life left in Punk as champion and Danielson is just getting going.

Eight Man Tag Team Match:
Cody Rhodes, Mr. Kennedy, Ted DiBiase Jr. and Triple H vs. John Cena, Kofi Kingston, Paul London and Rey Mysterio
Again, could go either way I think but I think I should probably pick some faces to win instead of going all heel, haha. Could see HHH making his decision here but it probably won't actually come til after the WWE Championship match.

Bonus Questions:
1. Will Triple H make a decision on joining Legacy tonight? Yes and he does not join
2. Which featured match will be first to air? IC Title
3. Which match will be the longest? IC Title
4. Who will gain the fall in the Eight Man Tag Team match? Rey Mysterio
5. Who will drop the fall in the Eight Man Tag Team match? Ted DiBiase Jr.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
PREDICTIONS CONTEST:

WWE Summerslam

August 16th, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Staples Centre

WWE Championship Match:
Randy Orton (c) defends against John Morrison

Can't see John Morrison winning this early into the thread with Orton a key focus

CM Punk (c) defends against Bryan Danielson

Same reasoning as Dubb, With Kennedy lurking in the background I expect him to make his presence felt.

Cody Rhodes, Mr. Kennedy, Ted DiBiase Jr. and Triple H vs. John Cena, Kofi Kingston, Paul London and Rey Mysterio

Going for a shock babyface win due to a mix up between HHH and Legacy to cost them the match

Bonus Questions:
1. Will Triple H make a decision on joining Legacy tonight? Yes
2. Which featured match will be first to air? IC title match
3. Which match will be the longest? IC title match
4. Who will gain the fall in the Eight Man Tag Team match? John Cena
5. Who will drop the fall in the Eight Man Tag Team match? Ted Dibiase Jr​

Order

Send HOOK
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Very much enjoying this and as always the booking is great and leaving lots of questions to be answered but you also have highly detailed mateches which I'm a big fan of. I just know you have an awesome plan as to how this is all going to end up and I cannot wait to see exactly what it is.

PREDICTIONS CONTEST:

WWE Championship Match:

Randy Orton (c)
defends against John Morrison

Cody Rhodes, Mr. Kennedy, Ted DiBiase Jr. and Triple H
vs. John Cena, Kofi Kingston, Paul London and Rey Mysterio

Bonus Questions:
1. Will Triple H make a decision on joining Legacy tonight? Yes, I think he will win the 8-man match for the team but then decline Orton and turn on Rhodes and DiBiase
2. Which featured match will be first to air? Punk vs. Danielson
3. Which match will be the longest? Orton vs. Morrison
4. Who will gain the fall in the Eight Man Tag Team match? Triple H
5. Who will drop the fall in the Eight Man Tag Team match? Rey Mysterio

Stojy

Reaction score
WWE Summerslam
August 16th, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Staples Centre

Strangely enough, we open up the second biggest pay per view of the year with a clip from earlier today, which shows the camera focusing in on a closed locker room door. As the camera zooms in closer and closer to the nameplate, we see that it reads ‘VLADIMIR KOZLOV’.

After a few moments of an inactive scene, the door swings open, and whilst we don’t get a view of Kozlov, we see the WWE Champion Randy Orton leaving the room. Orton turns to shut the door behind him, a huge smile on his face, as he begins to trudge down the hallway

Match Two
WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

The fans are pretty amped up for this one, two of their fan favourites going at it in the first representation of the Raw brand tonight. Both competitors wear knowing smirks as the referee calls for the bell, they are both aware at how tough but also how exciting this match will be for both of them. Showing their mutual respect, they share a polite shake of hands, before they back away and begin circling each other. They stay on the canvas for the early stages, and whilst Punk is no slouch, he’s no match for Danielson, who tends to be far more skilled and is able to begin stretching Punk.

After getting some relief from a rope break, when they look to lock up again, Punk diverts, and fires off some of his patented kicks to the body to keep Danielson away from him. It’s a game of chess, as to counter the kicks, Danielson starts reading the kicks and using them to progress Double Legged Takedowns to get Punk back to the canvas. The IC Champ smartly stays close to the ropes to allow himself to get back to his feet, and when Danielson tries another Double Leg, Punk gets the read and lands a brutal knee to the face!

The blow is enough to send Danielson falling to the canvas, and it allows Punk to begin to hold a long term advantage. Punk continues to work on the head and neck area of Danielson, realising that knee may have some done some serious damage. It’s a pretty simple offense from Punk, as he continues to use his knees and kicks to cut Danielson off, but eventually Danielson manages to hit another level, firing up with some stiff forearm shots.

‘AmDrag’ gets on a real roll, nailing shot after shot, showing tremendous to still be in it after the punishment he’s received. Danielson’s strikes send Punk reeling into the corner, allowing Danielson to pace back a few steps, Danielson charges in and connects with a big forearm in the corner… FOLLOWED BY A STEP UP GAMENGURI OFF THE ROPES!!!

Refusing to allow Punk to settle, DANIELSON GETS HIM UP FOR THE DRAGON SUPLEX!!!

Punk throws desperation elbows to break free, and it’s enough for Danielson to relinquish his grip. After a few more right hands, Punk sends Danielson into the corner, before following him in with his big corner knee strike. Of course, Punk takes Danielson out of the corner with a Bulldog! The IC Champ takes a moment to catch his breath after Danielson’s explosion of offense, and it allows Danielson to roll underneath the bottom rope and to the outside.

Once back up, Punk bounces off the ropes… LEAPING THROUGH THE ROPES WITH THE TOPE SUICIDA!!!

BUT DANIELSON LEAPS ONTO THE APRON AND STOPS PUNK’S HEAD THROUGH THE ROPES WITH A FOREARM!!!

The blows enough for Punk to fall back to the canvas and remain inside of the ring. Already on the apron, Danielson ascends to the top rope, and when Punk gets back to his feet… DANIELSON CONNECTS WITH A FLYING DROPKICK!!!

Danielson lands roughly on his back like only he can, whilst the velocity of the move sends Punk rolling to the outside. Punk begins using the crowd barricade to pull himself to his feet, whilst Danielson remains down… Until he kips up! The showy move gets a big pop from the fans, as Danielson looks around the ring, finally spotting Punk stumbling to his feet. Danielson charges across the ring… DANIELSON IS ABLE TO ACTUALLY CONNECT WITH A TOPE SUICIDA!!!

Despite the blow surely having some effect on him as well, Danielson heaves Punk straight up and rolls him into the ring. ‘AmDrag’ follows in and goes to work with some strikes now, giving some receipts from earlier by kicking the living hell out of Punk. With Punk dazed… DANIELSON LOOKS FOR THE ROLLING ELBOW!!!

PUNK DUCKS…

AND GETS DANIELSON ONTO HIS SHOULDERS FOR THE GO TO SLEEP!!!

DANIELSON MANAGES TO SQUIRM FREE AND GET BEHIND PUNK…

DANIELSON LANDS A GERMAN SUPLEX!!!

DANIELSON KEEPS THE BRIDGE…1…2…NO!!! PUNK ROLLS A SHOULDER OFF THE MAT!!!

As soon as Danielson releases the bridge… HE SNATCHES PUNK… LOOKING TO LOCK IN A CROSSFACE CHICKEN WING!!!

BUT PUNK USES HIS FREE ARM TO REPEATEDLY ELBOW DANIELSON IN THE FACE!!!

Danielson has no choice but to let go, which allows Punk to bounce back to his feet. Danielson is straight back up as well, but Punk meets him with a right hand, followed by a left hand and then a Spinning Back Fist. The barrage of shots causes Danielson to struggle to stay on his feet… SO PUNK KNOCKS HIM DOWN WITH A ROUNDHOUSE KICK!!!

Now it’s Punk’s turn to show no mercy as he drags Danielson back up… PUNK GETS HIM ON HIS SHOULDERS FOR THE GO TO SLEEP AGAIN!!!

DANIELSON MANAGES TO WRIGGLE FREE AND FALL DOWN PUNK’S BACK AGAIN…

THIS TIME TAKING HIM DOWN WITH A SUNSET FLIP…1…2…NO!!! PUNK ROLLS OUT AND BACK TO HIS FEET!!!

BUT DANIELSON IMMEDIATELY SYNCHES IN A TRIANGLE CHOKE!!!

Punk’s face immediately starts turning shades of red and purple, he’s got nowhere to go, and his squirming just seems to be allowing Danielson to tighten the hold. Just as it seems like Punk is seriously beginning to fade, he manages to desperately lunge to the side and place his right foot on the bottom rope.

Despite the clear frustration, Danielson abides by the rules and let’s go of the hold immediately. Looking for some space, Punk tries to separate himself from Danielson by rolling underneath the bottom rope and onto the solace of the apron. Danielson walks over and leans over the top rope, attempting to pull Punk up, when Punk explodes with a forearm out of nowhere.

Danielson goes staggering back towards the centre of the ring… PUNK COMES BACK IN WITH THE SPRINGBOARD FLYING CLOTHESLINE!!!

BUT DANIELSON SIDESTEPS…

AND CATCHES PUNK’S ARM IN MID AIR!!!

As Punk crashes and burns to the canvas… DANIELSON LOOKS TO COMPLETE THE CATTLE MUTILATION!!!

Punk manages to keep himself in a seated position and desperately spins around. It’s an incredible counter as PUNK GETS HIMSELF IN POSITION TO APPLY A FUJIWARA ARMBAR!!!

WHEN DANIELSON ROLLS FORWARD… INTO A JACKNIFE PIN…1…2…NO!!! PUNK BREAKS FREE AT THE LAST SECOND!!!

Both men struggle to their feet and meet in the centre… WHEN PUNK FIRES A ROUNDHOUSE KICK TO THE TEMPLE OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

Somehow Danielson stays on his feet… SO PUNK FIRES ANOTHER ROUNDHOUSE KICK…

AND A THIRD…

AND A FOURTH!!!

FINALLY, Danielson looks set to collapse, but instead he falls into the ropes, and rebounds back towards Punk… WHERE PUNK GETS DANIELSON ON HIS SHOULDERS FOR THE THIRD TIME TONIGHT!!!

THIS TIME THE GO TO SLEEP LANDS!!!

PUNK HOOKS BOTH LEGS…1…2…3!!!

Winner: CM Punk via pinfall @ 16:56

A big cheer goes up for the end of the hard fought contest, as an exhausted Punk has his hand raised by the referee. After celebrating with his IC Title, Punk leans down and sportingly helps Danielson back to his feet.

The two shake hands, showing that despite how heated the match got, there is still respect between the two of them. Danielson gives Punk one last nod, before leaving the ring, allowing Punk to have the space to himself to further celebrate his big victory.

As the celebration continues, we quickly cut to the back where we see an irritated Mr. Kennedy, watching the celebration on a monitor. Kennedy shakes his head in disgust, unhappy with the man who took the title from him having a successful defence.

Punk continues to celebrate though, feeling on top of the world…

Moving on from CM Punk, we cut to the interview set where Todd Grisham is standing by.

Todd Grisham: Ladies and gentleman, please welcome my quest at this time, he is the number one contender for the WWE Championship… JOHN MORRISON!!!

A nice ovation comes from inside the arena as John Morrison steps into screenshot. He’s already in his wrestling fear, looking ready to go for tonight’s main event.

Todd Grisham: John, thank you for your time on what has to be the biggest night of your career so far. In recent weeks you’ve been trying your best to stay grounded, stay focused and not get overcome by emotions. I have to ask, now that we’re finally here and your moment has arrived, have things changed? How are you feeling?

Morrison shakes his head, signalling that things haven’t changed.

John Morrison: No, things haven’t changed. As far as I’m concerned, things are exactly the same. I’m here tonight at Summerslam in the Staples Centre to do what I said I will do. Tonight, I fulfill my destine and I become the WWE Champion.

Continuing with his recent trend, Morrison keeps things short, sharp and to the point as he heads off to continue his match preparations…

A little later on in the night we’re backstage yet again, inside a locker room where both the WWE Champion Randy Orton and Triple H stand. The two look rather civil but are in the midst of a serious conversation, and we pick up audio midway through.

Randy Orton: The last few weeks things have gone to plan for us, but I still didn’t get an answer from you on Raw. What’s the hold up?

Triple H nonchalantly shrugs.

Triple H: Nothing’s changed. I want to be in a group that gets results.

Orton gets an incredulous look on his face, as he believes it’s obvious Legacy are getting results.

Triple H: Big decisions take time, and you have my word that I’m not just jerking you around. If your boys and me blend well together again tonight…

‘The Game’ pauses, building that suspense.

Triple H: It would be a safe assessment to say my potential future in Legacy would look very bright.

This brings a smirk to Orton’s face, as it’s arguably the closest Triple H has got to indicating that he will join Legacy.

Randy Orton: That sounds like a plan. Now look, I’ve got to run, I have some other business to attend to.

With that, Orton leaves Triple H to continue to prepare for the big eight man tag later on tonight…

Vladimir Kozlov defeated Batista via pinfall after landing his Savage Headbutt to the chest @ 11:29.

Most the audience is in a stunned silence as Kozlov celebrates his victory, and by celebrate, he gets his hand raised by the referee and dead pans the crowd. Still, even if he doesn’t show it, it’s a huge deal that Kozlov just earned himself a CLEAN victory over Batista.

As Kozlov steps out of the ring and makes his way up the ramp, he’s approached by the WWE Champion Randy Orton. The two exchange a knowing glance, and then like ships passing in the night, they continue in their opposite directions.

Kozlov disappears behind the curtain, whilst Orton slides into the ring, stalking Batista. As Big Dave battles back to his feet, Orton unstraps the title from around his waist… ORTON NAILS BATISTA WITH A TITLE SHOT TO THE SKULL!!!

In his usual, slow, methodical manner, Orton hops outside the ring, dragging the carcass of Batista onto the apron. Orton remains on the floor, gripping Batista’s head and neck… ELEVATED DDT FROM THE APRON TO THE CONCRETE FLOOR CONNECTS!!!

At this point, Batista is completely out of it, barely conscious, but Orton just continues to snarl. The WWE Champion goes and grabs himself a steel chair, setting it up open, ready to be seated on. He then slowly drags the dead weight of Batista up… RKO ONTO THE OPEN CHAIR!!!

Batista isn’t even moving after the crushing blow, as a hush has well and truly come over the arena. Orton looks around though, contemplating, you can almost see his brain working when he decides upon his next move. Again, the champ struggles to get the dead weight of his former Evolution running buddy up, but he does, and he slides Batista back into the ring.

Orton follows in and camps himself in the corner, as Batista barely moves. Orton prepares himself… AND LOOKS TO CHARGE FOR THE PUNT KICK!!!

WHEN…

JOHN CENA SLIDES INTO THE RING!!!

SO ORTON IMMEDIATELY SLIDES OUT!!!

A fired up Cena is against the ropes, begging for Orton to get back in, whilst Orton is clearly furious at having his plans thwarted. Orton ignores Cena’s pleas to get back into the ring, but he does stick around and admire his handiwork. Unfortunately for Batista, the only way he makes it out of the arena tonight is by medics and a stretcher.

After Batista is cleared from the ring, Orton gets mad as Cena bends down and picks up the WWE Title that Orton left behind. As Orton demands for his title back, a fired-up Cena gets himself a microphone.

John Cena: I know that we both have different matches tonight, but I’ll make this real simple for you. If you want your title back, you’ll have to grow a set and come and claim it yourself!

Tremendous support comes from the fans for that announcement, as Orton paces back and forth, unsure what to do…

UNTIL…

LEGACY… CODY RHODES, MR. KENNEDY AND TED DIBIASE JR. STEP THROUGH THE CURTAIN…

And alongside them is…

TRIPLE H!!!

They join Orton at ringside and the five of them discuss a plan before beginning to surround the ring. Triple H is the first one to get onto the apron… CENA NAILS TRIPLE H WITH THE TITLE!!!

Triple H falls to the floor and Cena turns to see Kennedy leaping onto the apron on the opposite side of the ring… CENA CHARGES AND NAILS KENNEDY WITH THE TITLE!!!

Cena still wants a piece of Orton as Orton ushers for Priceless to get into the ring, when
KOFI KINGSTON, PAUL LONDON and REY MYSTERIO SPRINT THROUGH THE CURTAIN!!!

They come down the ramp and meet Priceless and begin brawling with them, leaving only Orton to face Cena. Cena drops the title and tells Orton to come get some, and Orton surprisingly obliges.

The WWE Champion who has been avoiding Cena for months slides into the ring… AND RUNS AT CENA, SWINGING WITH A CLOTHESLINE…

CENA DUCKS…

CENA PLANS ORTON WITH THE FU!!!

An embarrassed and in pain Orton somehow clutches onto his title as he rolls away from Cena, and to the outside of the ring. Cena is pumped up, the fans are chanting his name, when a referee runs to the ring and calls for the bell. We’re going to have our eight-man tag team match right now…

Match Five
Eight Man Tag Team Match

The ringing of the bell doesn’t really change anything, as it’s still pure chaos and mayhem with everybody continuing the insane brawl. Of course, now that he’s taken care of Randy Orton, Cena joins the party on the outside, swinging at anybody on the opposition side that moves. Speaking of the WWE Champion Randy Orton, it’s worth noting that he has not left ringside. Instead, he lays on the floor, WWE Title in possession, but he’s still holding his back after the devastating FU. As the carnage continues, ECW’s Kingston manages to separate himself and get back into the ring. He takes a deep breath and then charges across the ring… KOFI TAKES DOWN ALL THE COMPETITIORS… EVEN HIS TEAMMATES… WITH A FLIPPING SENTON FROM INSIDE THE RING TO THE OUTSIDE!!!

This obviously garners a huge pop from the fans, as a pumped up Kofi jumps to his feet, all pumped after the big move. This kind of breaks up the brawl and settles things done, and we end with a situation, where Kofi decides to grab a hold of Rhodes, and send him inside the ring. Once on the inside, Kingston begins working on the arm of Cody, and the face team begin exchanging quick tags, isolating Rhodes from his team’s corner.

They continue to put in work on Cody, until we get to a point where London is in the ring with him. As London looks to build some momentum by bouncing off the ropes, Kennedy gets off of the apron and trips up the leg of London when he hits the ropes. It’s subtle but it’s enough for London to fall face first to the canvas, and it’s enough to completely alter the course of the match.

Now it’s the heels team turn to isolate London, deliberately working over the head and neck area of their victim. Throughout this period, Legacy work really well with Triple H, as the commentators talk about how amazingly they seem to be meshing together as a team. Using his experience, Triple H seems to be the one that’s directing traffic, but everybody plays their role perfectly. A recovered Randy Orton looks relatively pleased with what he’s watching from the outside as well.

Despite their best efforts though, Legacy and ‘The Game’ just can’t quite put London away. Eventually, the tag champs, Rhodes and DiBiase are looking to double team London… AND CODY GOES FOR A CLOTHESLINE…

LONDON DUCKS…

AND CODY ACCIDENTALLY CONNECTS WITH DIBIASE!!!

A stressed Rhodes furiously turns to face London… LONDON PERFORMS A DROPSAULT!!!

DROPKICKING CODY… AND LANDING A STANDING MOONSAULT ON THE FALLEN DIBIASE!!!

It’s a showstopping move from London and it gets the fans back into it, as now the legal men in London and DiBiase begin crawling to their respective corners for a tag. With the fans urging him on, London is able to make the tag to his partner in Mysterio, whilst DiBiase tags in Kennedy. Mysterio comes in as the fresh man and immediately uses his quickness to bamboozle Kennedy with a bunch of his famous Lucha takedowns.

Rhodes still hasn’t left the ring yet and he tries to pummel Mysterio from behind, but Cena intervenes, grabbing Cody and tossing him to the outside of the ring. As Cena turns to potentially exit the ring, he’s met by Triple H. The 2006 WrestleMania main event goes nose to nose, and Triple H and Cena begin exchanging punches. Triple H, Cena, Triple H, Cena, Triple H, Cena, Cena, Cena, Cena…

John Cena begins getting on top of the exchanging, almost backing Triple H into a corner, when ‘The Game’ delivers a desperate knee to the mid-section. Before Hunter can do anything else to Cena… KOFI COMES FROM NOWHERE AND TAKES TRIPLE H OUT WITH A FLYING SHOTGUN DROPKICK!!!

This allows Cena to regain his breath because a furious Cody gets back into the ring and charges at him. Rhodes shows some inexperience, wildly swinging with a right hand… Cena ducks… AND CONNECTS WITH A BIG PROTO BOMB!!!

As Mysterio keeps Kennedy busy in the corner, Cena stands over Cody and gives him the old “YOU CAN’T SEE ME”. This leads to Cena bouncing off the ropes… FIVE KNUCKLE SHUFFLE LANDS!!!

It’s safe to say the referee has completely lost control now as DiBiase looks to sneak in and attack Cena from behind… LONDON CUTS HIM OFF WITH A SUPERKICK!!!

Somehow, DiBiase remains on his feet, albeit spaghetti legged… DIBIASE STUMBLES RIGHT INTO AN FU FROM CENA!!!

On the outside, Orton is furious, knowing exactly how that moves. Back inside of the ring, Kennedy has managed to momentarily dispose of Mysterio, and as London looks to turn back towards his teams corner… KENNEDY DRILLS LONDON WITH A SPINEBUSTER!!!

Seeing this, Cena sprints at Kennedy and Spears him, the momentum sending both of them tumbling through the ropes and to the outside. They continue to brawl on the floor with reckless abandon, meanwhile inside of the ring, Rhodes is doing his best to fight back to his feet. Rhodes crawls to the ropes, pushing off the bottom rope, to pull himself to his knees with the middle rope… But before he can get any closer to standing back up… A RECOVERED MYSTERIO POUNCES WITH THE 619!!!

Rhodes gets back to his feet after the blow, however he’s clearly out of it… AND HE STAGGERS INTO A TROUBLE IN PARADISE FROM KOFI!!!

Big time move but the referee makes it clear Mysterio or Kingston can’t pin Rhodes as he’s not the legal man. Meanwhile, on the outside, the legal man for the heels in Kennedy is now double teaming Cena with the help of Triple H. After battering him around ringside, TRIPLE H GRABS A HOLD OF CENA AND RAMS HIM FACE FIRST INTO THE RING POST!!!

With Cena seemingly taken care of for now, Kennedy slides back into the ring, and as Kingston is bending down to pick up Rhodes… KENNEDY POUNCES WITH A SWINGING NECKBREAKER!!!

In a fair bit of pain, Kingston rolls to the outside, whilst a triumphant Kennedy… TURNS STRAIGHT INTO A SPRINGBOARD SEATED SENTON FROM MYSTERIO!!!

REY REY REACHES BACK TO GRAB THE LEG FOR THE COVER…1…2…NO!!! TRIPLE H DIVES IN TO BREAK THE COUNT AND MAKE THE SAVE!!!

Groans emanate from the audience as they thought that might have been it there. Triple H doesn’t relent, dragging Mysterio up and hammering away with right hands. ‘The Game’ then sends Mysterio off the ropes, but Mysterio comes back with a Swinging Hurricanrana! After the move, Mysterio stays down, as London leaps back onto the apron at his teams corner and calls for the tag. Mysterio looks to make his way over… WHEN KENNEDY SPRINTS ACROSS THE RING AND KNOCKS LONDON OFF OF THE APRON!!!

London goes flying with an unfortunate landing, crashing chest first into the crowd barricade. As an arrogant Kennedy brags to the crowd, he leaves himself open as Mysterio takes him down with a Spinning Heel Kick! Rey Rey decides to roll underneath the bottom rope and to the apron, where he stalks Triple H, who is yet to make it to his feet. On the outside, Kingston looks to be battling to his feet… WHEN HE GETS TAKEN OUT FROM BEHIND WITH A ZIG ZAG!!!

FROM DOLPH ZIGGLER!!!???

Continuing their not focused on issues on the ECW Brand, Ziggler has interfered and basically eliminated Kingston from this match. The referee’s to busy trying to keep up with all the action that he misses the interference. A pleased Dolph just as quickly runs back up the ramp, ignoring the heat from the fans and disappearing behind the curtain. Back inside of the ring, Triple H has worked his way back to his feet… SO MYSTERIO LOOKS SET TO SPRINGBOARD OFF THE ROPES…

BUT KENNEDY SNEAKS FROM BEHIND AND PUSHES REY OFF THE ROPES…

STRAIGHT INTO A FACEBREAKER KNEE SMASH FROM TRIPLE H!!!

His mask offers no protection as Mysterio crumbles to the canvas, grabbing at his face. Triple H wastes no time at all, dragging Mysterio back up… TRIPLE H DRILLS MYSTERIO WITH THE PEDIGREE!!!

Cena is back up on the outside, scaring away Orton, who was getting a little too close to comfort. Cena then turns around, facing the camera for the first time since his collision with the ring post to show that he is busted open. A little bit of blood isn’t going to stop Cena though as he sees what’s happening in the ring and looks to slide back in…BUT HE GETS INTERCEPTED BY A STANDING DROPKICK FROM CODY!!!

Paul London has somehow battled back to his feet on the outside, as inside of the ring, Triple H instructs Kennedy to “FINISH HIM”, whilst pointing at Mysterio. London looks to slide back into the ring to save his partner… WHEN RANDY ORTON ILLEGALY GRABS A HOLD OF LONDON’S LEGS… KEEPING HIM ON THE OUTSIDE!!!

All London can do is watch and struggle, unable to break the WWE Champion’s grip, as Kennedy drags the already finished Mysterio back up… MIC CHECK CONNECTS!!!

KENNEDY WITH THE PIN…1…2…3!!!

Winners: Cody Rhodes, Mr. Kennedy, Ted DiBiase Jr. and Triple H @ 15:00

The referee signals for the bell and the heat begins from the fans, as the rest of Legacy join Triple H and Kennedy inside of the ring. They all celebrate, having picked up a huge victory on the second biggest show of the year.

Orton still clearly favours his back from the FU received earlier, however he still makes sure to point at and compliment Kennedy on his performance. With some instructions from Orton, DiBiase Jr. hoists Kennedy in a seated position on his shoulders, parading him around the ring.

KK is all smiles, enjoying the moment, whilst Cody and Orton shoot Kennedy’s thumbs up. Meanwhile, ‘The Game’ watches on with a smirk, perhaps remembering his own thumbs up, thumbs down moment with Orton once upon a time.

Whilst Orton doesn’t officially ask Triple H for his decision on joining Legacy, the five all celebrate together. We don’t know Triple H’s decision yet, but surely tonight could have done no harm towards him giving Orton a positive answer…

From there, we head to the interview set, where Raw’s Todd Grisham is standing by.

Todd Grisham: Ladies and gentleman, please welcome my guest, the man who successfully defended his WWE Intercontinental Championship in an instant classic against Bryan Danielson earlier tonight… CM PUNK!!!

Loud cheers as a casually dressed CM Punk appears next to Todd, IC strap resting over his shoulder.

Todd Grisham: Thanks for joining me. You requested this time to get something off your chest, what would you like to share?

Punk takes a beat before responding.

CM Punk: Thanks, Todd. I don’t want to just skip over what I endured tonight to retain my Intercontinental title. I have nothing but respect for ‘The American Dragon’, he was a hell of a tough challenge. Props to him, I’m sure it won’t be long until he’s holding gold here in the WWE, but nobody in the WWE can kick out of the GTS.

Cheers from the fans inside the arena, they like that Punk is confident.

CM Punk: Before I won this title, and even after I won it, I’ve made my ambitions clear and I want to state that those haven’t changed. I am proud to be the Intercontinental Champion… But I’m here to put the two men in tonight’s main event on notice. That’s the only reason why I’m still in this building, I am still chasing that WWE Championship. I’ve got my eyes on the main event between Orton and Morrison tonight.

Punk then uses his hand to move the mic from his mouth, signalling that the interview is over. As Punk disappears from screenshot, Grisham sends us back to ringside for some random Smackdown match that we don’t care about in this BTB…

We now skip to later on in the evening, with the Smackdown main event of the night being completed. We head to the backstage area, and we see the number one contender John Morrison walking down a hallway. Fur coat on to jazz things up for Summerslam, Morrison looks extremely focused as he continues on his way…

We then cut to a separate hallway where we see the WWE Champion Randy Orton making his way towards the curtain. Orton grimaces, walking slowly and still favouring his back after the FU received from John Cena earlier in the night. ‘The Viper’ pauses, takes a deep breath, regaining his composure before he continues down the hall… THE MAIN EVENT IS UP NEXT!!!

Match Nine
WWE Championship Match
Randy Orton (c) defends against John Morrison

Both men kick things off rather cagily, and there’s definitely a feeling out process here. Orton tries to get in Morrison’s head, verbally welcoming him to the big leagues, but the number one contender maintains his composure. The two opponents lock up and jostle for position, neither able to gain an advantage. When they separate for a few moments before starting again, Orton is still clearly favouring his back after his encounter with Cena earlier tonight. Eventually, the lock ups transition to some basic mat work, with Orton trying to be the aggressor, but Morrison’s speed gets him out of dodge.

Once they are down on the mat, Morrison shows some amateur wrestling skills, riding Orton a little, before bouncing to his feet. The champ is still flat on his belly, allowing Morrison to land three sharp elbow drops right to the injured back of Orton! Those blows did some serious damage to Orton as he yells in pain, and that’s where the mat work finishes up. Knowing he has a significant advantage, Morrison begins to work on the back, culminating with a big STO across his own knee!

Before Morrison can make the cover, Orton rolls underneath the bottom rope and to the outside. He’s clearly struggling, as he leans against the barricade for a moment to catch his breath… AND THEN ORTON TURNS STRAIGHT INTO A CORKSCREW PLANCHA FROM MORRISON!!!

A big time pop emanates from the fans and for the first time Morrison shows some emotion, smirking at the ovation. He then snaps out of it and gets back to work, bringing Orton to his feet and basically bullying him around ringside, including sending him back first into the barricade and the steel steps. With the referee warning of a disqualification or a count out, Morrison rolls Orton back into the ring, before heading to the apron himself.

Morrison ascends to the top rope, and once Orton is back up… MORRISON COMES OFF WITH THE FLYING SHOTGUN DROPKICK!!!

BUT ORTON SIDESTEPS AND AVOIDS CONTACT!!!

It’s a rough landing for Morrison and one that changes everything as the champion gets a gleam in his eye. Orton goes on the attack, immediately stomping the life out of Morrison, focusing on the head and neck area in particular. On commentary, they talk about how Orton is trying to even the odds, injuring a part of Morrison to match Orton’s sore back. They also talk about how all Orton’s big moves focus on the head and neck area.

After a bit of ring psychology 101 from the commentators, Orton continues his attack, a vicious look on his face. In typical Orton fashion, all of the offense is very methodical, but there’s a definite intensity about the way he does things. Of course, the champ isn’t against bending the rules either, not afraid to use choking, hair pulling and all sorts to maintain the advantage.

Orton still grabs at his back here and there, and it clearly makes him mad. Surprisingly, he stops attacking Morrison for a moment, but it’s only to head to the corner, and remove the turnbuckle pads from the top and middle rope. The steel turnbuckles have been exposed as Orton grabs Morrison and tells him “LET’S SEE WHO HAS A BAD BACK”! With that, Orton whips Morrison hard towards the corner with the exposed corner, BUT MORRISON SHOWS INCREDIBLE ATHLETICISM… LEAPING UP TO THE TOP ROPE!!!

ORTON RUNS AT MORRISON…

BUT MORRISON BACKFLIPS OFF THE TOP ROPE…

LANDING BEHIND ORTON AND ON HIS FEET!!!

NOW MORRISON RUNS AT ORTON…

BUT HE RUNS STRAIGHT INTO A CLOTHESLINE!!!

Frustrated at his corner tactic not working, Orton now applies the trusty Orton Lock, really synching in the gruesome Reverse Chinlock. The referee asks Morrison if he wants to quick as he fades, but the number one contender refuses to submit. Eventually, Morrison gets a second wind, stopping his arm from dropping a third time, and he’s able to battle back to his feet. The tenacious champion keeps the hold applied, but Morrison lands a few desperation elbows to the stomach to finally break Orton’s grips.

Orton looks to stop Morrison’s momentum with a right hand, but Morrison blocks and answers with one of his own. The shot staggers Orton and now Morrison is able to land shot after shot, backing Orton against the ropes. A desperate Orton simply shoves Morrison away, trying to cover up and stagger back towards the centre of the ring, but Morrison drops Orton with a Roundhouse Kick!

On instinct, Orton bounces straight back to his feet, where he’s met with more right hands by Morrison. Having the champ dazed, ‘The Shaman Of Sexy’ whips him into one of the corners where the turnbuckles are not exposed. The impact still clearly does damage to the back of Orton, when Morrison charges in, nailing Orton with a High Knee in the corner!

It looks as if Orton is ready to crumble to the canvas, but Morrison keeps him standing, landing a few more right hands in the corner. The number one contender then hoists Orton into a seated position on the top rope, and begins climbing up himself. Morrison makes it all the way to the top… MORRISON TAKES ORTON OFF THE TOP WITH A FRANKENSTEINER!!!

Upon landing, Orton rolls around the canvas, grabbing at his back… WHILST MORRISON CRAWLS OVER AND MAKES THE COVER…1…2…NO!!! ORTON GETS A SHOULDER UP!!!

Realising the high risk seems to be working for him, Morrison immediately heads right back up to the top rope. He waits for Orton to crawl to the ropes and pull himself up… MISSILE DROPKICK CONNECTS!!!

Now Orton is laid out in the centre of the ring as Morrison jumps back to his feet… STANDING SHOOTING STAR PRESS CONNECTS!!!

MORRISON STAYS ON TOP FOR THE PIN…1…2…NO!!! ANOTHER SHOULDER UP FROM ORTON!!!

There’s a shake of a head from Morrison and a quick glance at the referee, before he gets back to his feet. Remaining focused, Morrison YET AGAIN steps through the ropes and makes his way to the top. As he tries to recover… ORTON EXPLODES AND LEAPS TOWARDS THE CORNER… CROTCHING MORRISON ON THE TOP ROPE!!!

It looks like Morrison went to the well one time to many, and now he’s stuck in a compromising position on the top rope. Remaining on the canvas, Orton pulls Morrison down by the head and neck… ORTON DRILLS MORRISON WITH THE ELEVATED DDT!!!

Orton takes a deep breath, grimacing at his back pain… BEFORE HOOKING THE LEG…1…2…NO!!! NOW MORRISON JUST GETS A SHOULDER UP!!!

This time Orton takes a few backwards steps once he’s up, stalking Morrison from a distance. Orton gets down on his haunches, almost slithering around on the canvas, and when Morrison gets up and turns towards him… RKO!!!

NO!!! MORRISON PUSHES ORTON AWAY…

AND IMMEDIATELY LEAPS INTO A CRUCIFIX PIN…1…2…3!!! NO!!! ORTON JUST ESCAPES!!!

The quickness of Morrison comes into play as he bounces off the ropes and nails a sliding kick to the temple, as Orton had only made it to his knees. Having the champ out of it, Morrison slowly drags him back to his feet… MOONLIGHT DRIVE!!!

NO… ORTON TWISTS OUT BEHIND MORRISON…

AND GETS A SCHOOLBOY PIN…

ORTON GRABS THE TIGHTS…1…2…3
!!! NO!!! MORRISON JUST KICKS OUT!!!

Both men have almost got it with a flash pin now, as they get back to their feet relatively quickly. Morrison is first to strike, looking for a Clothesline, but Orton ducks… ORTON SHOVES MORRISON STRAIGHT INTO THE REFEREE!!!

The ugly collision causes the referee and Morrison to collapse, and only a second later, Orton falls to the mat, once again feeling for his back. After a few moments, Orton begins waving from the back… SO CODY RHODES AND TED DIBIASE BEGIN MAKING THEIR WAY FROM THE BACK!!!

They jog down the ramp but before they can make it to ringside, THEY ARE CHASED DOWN FROM BEHIND BY BRYAN DANIELSON AND PAUL LONDON!!!

Priceless are clearly in shock, caught off guard as Danielson and London go to work, hammering away on them. In the end, Rhodes and DiBiase are forced to crawl back up the ramp, Danielson and London beating them all the way, as they are sent back through the curtain. As Orton has battled back to his feet, he is furious that his interference has failed, shaking his head. After composing himself… ORTON TURNS STRAIGHT INTO A ROUNDHOUSE KICK FROM MORRISON!!!

Orton drops like a tonne of bricks and Morrison goes down as well, both men absolutely exhausted. Whilst Orton doesn’t move to much, Morrison is working his way back to his feet… WHEN MR. KENNEDY RUNS DOWN THE RAMP AND GETS ONTO THE APRON!!!

Kennedy begins jaw jacking with Morrison, distracting him… WHEN JOHN CENA APPEARS FROM NOWHERE AND YANKS KK OFF THE APRON!!!

Ever the loudmouth, Kennedy begins bad mouthing Cena, so Cena begins smashing his face in with right hands. Much like his Priceless buddies before him, Kennedy is forced up the ramp and to the back, no match for the fiery Cena. The fans are going apeshit at the interference backfiring, as even the commentators call out that “LEGACY HAS FINALLY BEEN NETURALISED”!!!

After all the distractions, Morrison still has time to bring Orton to his feet, and drop him in a particular position with a Scoop Slam. Morrison then heads to the corner and the top… STARSHIP PAIN CONNECTS!!!

MORRISON MAKES THE COVER…

THERE’S NO REFEREE!!!

BUT WAIT!!!

THE REF HAS RECOVERED… AND SLOWLY CRAWLS OVER…

1…2…3!!!

NO!!! ORTON JUST GETS A SHOULDER UP!!!

For the first time during his journey to this moment, Morrison looks like he’s caught up in some emotion. He’s genuinely frustrated, shaking his head, but he gets nothing from the referee, who has gone back to playing dead. With the ref still drowsy and the match continuing, Morrison has no choice but to slowly try and hoist the dead weight of Orton up… ORTON NAILS A LOW BLOW!!!

An exhausted Orton falls back to the canvas, whilst Morrison crumbles to his knees, clutching at the crown jewels. All three men including the ref are down, and after a few moments of the fans buzzing for something to happen, they all slowly work their way to their feet. The ref does his best to stay out of the way, as Morrison and Orton meet in the centre of the ring… ORTON LEAPS UP FOR THE RKO!!!

MORRISON SHOVES HIM AWAY…

THIS TIME ORTON COLLIDES WITH THE REFEREE!!!

Our poor ref is back down on the canvas, as Morrison looks to capitalise on the dazed champion… WHEN ORTON EXPLODES WITH AN RKO OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

Morrison looks out of it at this point, whilst Orton rolls around, grabbing at his back which took the brunt of his landing. After selling his bad back, Orton slowly begins to crawl towards Morrison, but he can’t even attempt a pinfall, as Morrison has ALREADY made it to the ropes and started to pull himself up. Orton’s eyes go wide as he can’t believe it, forcing himself back to his feet and the two competitors meet in the centre of the ring.

Morrison lands a huge right hand, Orton retaliates. Another from Morrison, another from Orton. Neither man is willing to take a backwards step, continuing to tee off on each other, as TRIPLE H STARTS JOGGING DOWN THE RAMP… STEEL CHAIR IN HAND!!!

Boos picks up from the crowd as ‘The Game’ steps onto the apron, chair cocked and ready to go. He watches the action, as Morrison and Orton continue to exchange blows, until Orton lands a vicious European Uppercut. The change up is enough to send Morrison conveniently staggering towards the ropes… WHERE TRIPLE H LOADS UP AND SWINGS THE STEEL CHAIR!!!

MORRISON DUCKS…

TRIPLE H ACCIDENTALLY TAKES ORTON’S HEAD OFF WITH THE CHAIR SHOT!!!

Triple H’s eyes go wide in shock, he can’t believe it, and before he can react, Morrison charges at him and knocks him off the apron. Morrison has some words for Triple H, before turning his attention back towards the WWE Champion. Morrison sees a confused Orton and brings him to his feet… AND MORRISON WHIPS ORTON AS HARD AS HE CAN INTO THE CORNER!!!

ORTON’S INJURED BACK COLLIDES WITH THE EXPOSED TURNBUCKLES!!!

Orton stumbles out of the corner, in complete agony… MORRISON NAILS THE MOONLIGHT DRIVE!!!

MORRISON MAKES THE COVER…

THE REFEREE MANAGES TO SHAKE OUT THE COBWEBS AND CRAWL OVER…

1…2…3!!!

WE’VE GOT A NEW CHAMP!!!

Winner: John Morrison @ 25:38

HOLY SHIT!!! It’s pandemonium inside the arena as we have a NEW WWE CHAMPION!!! The ovation is HUGE, the arena is shaking, as Morrison fights back to his feet. He’s clearly holding back tears as the referee puts him in possession of the WWE Title for the first time.

He closes his eyes and kisses the title, cherishing the moment, before he begins heading to the corners of the ring. Morrison continues to celebrate with the fans, as a battered Orton slowly rolls outside of the ring.

As he gets to the outside, he sees a crestfallen Triple H, who looks speechless. ‘The Game’ puts his hands up, admitting he did wrong, attempting to apologise, as Orton begins to tremble with rage…

AND ORTON SHOVES TRIPLE H HARD IN THE CHEST… CAUSING HIM TO FALL TO THE FLOOR!!!

Without even a second thought, Orton shakes his head and turns way, limping up the ramp, still holding onto his back. After taking a few seconds to calm himself down, Triple H gets up and slowly makes his way up the ramp as well, trailing behind Orton. One has to wonder what this means and whether the offer to join Legacy still exists for Triple H.

But that’s a story for another day, because the final focus of the second biggest pay per view of the year is of the new WWE Champion… John Morrison…

END OF SHOW

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Pretty cool to go all-in right away and give John Morrison a shot on top! It's something WWE irl probably should have went with at one point.

I'm guessing HHH won't join Legacy, bit that Morrison vs. Orton vs. HHH may be covering the main events throughout 2009.

Also that was a great "start" with Danielson and Punk having a great one.