WS Movie Log Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
Putting so much emotional emphasis on his opponent really made the final fight a conflicting watch. It is better than the first one in the way it takes that risk that pays off.
Oh definitely. I was rooting for both guys at the end.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
MV5BYTczZWNmZDItYTFjMi00Y2ViLTkxM2UtMDkxYTAxOWE0YTNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDk5Mzc5MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Watched this last night. It's not going to win any awards but it was a pretty entertaining and thrilling horror movie. Felt like a lower budget End of Watch style movie with a supernatural twist. I'd say the acting is a bit hit or miss in parts, but the overall storyline felt pretty unique. Had a good blend of found footage style camera work in there as well, but not overdone. It was also nice to see Nat Wolf in another horror, I thought he was incredible in Hereditary

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
8019838.jpeg

Monster Hunter is a truly modern blockbuster in the sense that it attempts to speak a universal language. So many other directors that rely on a filmed stage play aesthetic struggle to speak said language. With the Star Wars prequels, George Lucas put human bodies in 3D imaginations, used Soviet Montage era and documentarian cinematography to add immersion to this completely alien world with familiar industrialization and timeless character arcs. Paul W.S Anderson is fluent in the CGI landscape, putting actors in motion in ill defined, almost hyper real versions of our reality. His work with the Resident Evil franchise, especially his backseat directed Apocalypse, showcased this commitment to a digital world, referencing video games like Grand Theft Auto in a video game movie, essentially constructing the first open world film. Pushing it to his signature maximalist limit, not all unlike a Michael Bay production.

As with the prequels, Monster Hunter shuns dialogue dependence in favor of wide camera shots of monsters in motion, lightning quick cuts, the expressions on the veteran actress Milla Jovovich's face and direct universal language, like a shared love of chocolate, bridging the gap between audiences across a wide spectrum of perspectives. This approach to cinema was considered a byproduct of an eccentric director with an exorbitant budget obsessed with silent film, but has proven to be an almost clairvoyant artistic statement that predated the contemporary international popcorn flick.

I would definitely recommend Monster Hunter to anyone looking for a video game film in essence, made by someone who understood the material and the medium, unlike a Uwe Boll, for instance. Milla is great and the casting is interesting. Some segments felt more like Shadow of the Colossus, but that's not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Y2Jayne

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
I really enjoyed both Hercule Poirot movies from Kenneth Branagh. Murder on the Orient Express was the best one but they both were entertaining.
Although the biggest plot hole for me would be to drop McKey for Gadot.

deathnile.png
Jacqueline_de_Bellefort_Death_On_The_Nile_2022_00.jpg

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BYTUwMTY1YmMtN2U5NC00YjkzLTg0YWQtZmEwNTEzZjdkNzQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

So I watched Deep Impact again today and found it pretty enjoyable. I've always been on the side that prefers Armageddon and they often get compared because of the very similar plots and coming out so closely to each other. I think that still stands but I will say that I really like the build-up in Deep Impact, it's a lot more of a serious take but the disaster scene itself is great and the special effects hold up really well. Morgan Freeman plays a great fictional president as well, although I totally forgot about a young Elijah Wood in this movie :lol

Reactions: Zany Clowny

Zany Clowny

Reaction score
Y2K era disaster films are great. Often totally brainless, but I like that attitude. Being in such a good mood that you laugh at the end of the world.

p170971_p_v8_ab.jpg

Be Kind Rewind might just be the quintessential millenial comedy. You have two leads who have not mentally progressed beyond the age of 5, references to beloved nostalgia like Ghostbusters, meta commentary on the films themselves that feel very of the time (Mos Def pointing out how condescending Driving Miss Daisy is) and a romance subplot that is the typical playground love triangle. The way that art can unify a community, enstill a collective accomplished feeling, is beautiful in Be Kind Rewind. Kinda like Step Brothers in the sense that if you can't buy into a warped kids movie, this isn't going to click. I remember in 2008-2009 hearing the occasional Sweded joke, and then never again.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BMTQzYWYwYjctY2JhZS00NTYzLTllM2UtZWY5ZTk0NmYwYzIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzgxODM4NjM@._V1_.jpg

This was pretty fantastic. If you love anything cyberpunk themed this will be right up your alley. Paced really well, engrossing story and visuals are super nice, all the cast did such a good job

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BZDIzNDk0YWYtZjQwZC00NTljLWFiNDktYzRkNDc0MWY5NWQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Watched a pretty interesting movie called Freaks today, it was really great. I'm quite surprised I've not heard more about it, and it definitely deserves a lot more love, I've not seen a sci-fi film that captivated me this much in ages now. Excellent world building, great cast and paced super well. Starts off really well with the mystery aspect keeping you guessing about the bigger picture, and then slowly reveals more and it just gets progressively more awesome, was very satisfied at the end

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Watched a few movies over the weekend

Minority Report (2002)

MV5BZTI3YzZjZjEtMDdjOC00OWVjLTk0YmYtYzI2MGMwZjFiMzBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Actually still so fun, I'd definitely say this is in my Top 5 Sci-Fi movies, and probably in my Top 3 when it comes to Tom Cruise roles. It's just such a well done movie, doesn't feel like it drags at any point and the performances are excellent across the board. I also really enjoy Colin Farrell in this movie and I think he probably goes a bit more underrated in it but he plays a pretty intriguing character that really evolves and becomes somebody you care about, even though you don't expect to like him at first. Visuals I would say hold up super well, and they were very on point when it comes to targeted advertising and some other concepts

2012 (2009)

MV5BMTY0MjEyODQzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTczMjQ4Mg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

This movie is absurd and could be trimmed in terms of runtime, but man is it a guilty pleasure of mine. Disaster scenes are so fun, especially when he's driving through Los Angeles in the limo during the massive earthquake. John Cusack is an enjoyable leading man, and I think Woody Harrelson is one of the best parts of this movie, specifically the Yellowstone scene

Under the Skin (2013)

MV5BMTU1MDEwMDg4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk3NTcxMTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Holy shit this was weird, but I kinda..loved it? Like the movie really doesn't tell you a lot, and it's very slow and has some very surreal imagery but I was completely captivated by Scarlett Johansson and the way this movie is filmed. Apparently they used hidden cameras for some scenes when ScarJo is talking to some people in Glasgow so it makes sense why some scenes felt so real to me. I feel like this is one of those movies you either love or it bores you to death, I'm glad I wasn't bored by it and it worked for me

Zany Clowny

Reaction score
zQbleB3P1hClV2b0eClfQOJbF8h.jpg

I always like to see a good character actor take the lead in a passionately directed budget movie, and this is a good example of that. Eric Roberts is The Butcher here, considering the antagonist is Robert Davi, fucking Cortez from Vice City, I take this film as a Tommy Vercetti origin story, The Harwood Butcher biopic. It's structured like a video game with how much of it is Eric errand running, shooting his way out of situations constantly. It's simple and seedy and dark, a bit like if Michael Mann made direct to DVD action shlock. Macho characters in sick cities trying to survive by their own warped code.

Zany Clowny

Reaction score
john-cusack-the-raven-poster.jpg

Mostly in it for Cusack chewing scenery as Poe. I think he does an adequate job, one of his better performances. I like Poe but don't love him, Cusack falls under a similar category. The serial killer plot is too barebones to rise above a middle of the road episode of Murdoch Mysteries. Still an enjoyable watch though. Could've been a cult classic if it was just a touch more interesting. The murder scenes are gruesome and well done, if you're in it for the sick shit.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Speaking of Cusack performances.. :garrett

1408 (2007)

MV5BMjQ2ODkxMjc4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTgzNzQyMTI@._V1_.jpg

No matter how many times I see this, it still does a great job making you feel like your losing your mind with the main character. Cusack is incredible in this, and it's mostly just him acting by himself for the entirety of it in one room, and he absolutely nails it. Really up there with my favourite horror movies as well, and somehow made The Carpenters - 'We've Only Just Begun' creepy to listen to :lol Seen it a bunch of times now, and some scenes still really creep me out. Especially the part where he's calling across to the other building for help

Nightmare Alley (2021)

MV5BOTI4NDhhNGEtZjQxZC00ZTRmLThmZTctOGJmY2ZlOTc0ZGY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I enjoyed this. I'd heard mixed things from some because of the slower pace, but it worked for me. I really enjoyed the setting, and I was pretty immersed by it and found it to be engrossing. I was honestly worried it would lose me and start plodding along, but I'm very thankful it didn't. Not a movie I'd watch again probably, but as a one time experience I thought it was pretty nice, and I very much enjoyed some of the shots in the movie which were pretty beautiful. Cast list was insanely stacked, which no doubt added to me enjoying it as well. Just a bunch of actors together I really like seeing on screen

Zany Clowny

Reaction score
10-Cloverfield-Lan-movie-poster.jpg
So this side plot in 24 immediately came to mind when watching this, albeit in a hazy way, as it's been years. Basically Jack Bauer is out there trying to stop a chemical attack or a nuclear one or some other post 9/11 fever dream, and his daughter ends up lost in the woods, a guy rescues her from a wild cougar or something, and she ends up going with him. He starts running an angle that the bomb is about to go off, or did already, after she in his bomb shelter. She later confronts him about it and expects he will go apeshit, he actually gives her his gun and tells her to watch out for the cougars.

That little subplot worked well to show what the general paranoid feeling of the times. Films started to explore the end of the world in a bleak, hopeless way, after ironically turning it into a complete joke in the late 90s, with fun shlock like Armageddon, Independence Day, to an extent, Event Horizon, too. The 2008 Cloverfield felt like a monster attack within a monster attack, the city swallowed them whole; with most of the deaths obscured either by the fast pace of shaky cam, or physical objects, the city is just as suffocating as the presence of the alien attackers.

I'm going to get into some spoilers briefly here, at the end. It hit me halfway through what John Goodman was going for here. The disheveled appearance, vague background, conspiracy theory rotted brain who turns to alcohol to cope - this is Steve Bannon. To skip ahead, this is what made the ending genius to me. Yes, it descends into what appears to be throwback schlock, hazmat suits made out of shower curtains and lovecraftian creatures of horror taken out by a measly, half assed molotov cocktails. Goodman is scarier than the CGI nightmare aliens, it takes that paranoia and shatters it, much like how Cloverfield deconstructed the fetishism of New York City, a void of life and death, both going constantly unnoticed. The actual threat itself is meaningless when psychopaths with acid baths and terminal schizophrenia inherit the Earth. What's preparedness if that's all that is left of those who live? Definitely recommend you watch this one, a lot of Misery and War of the Worlds going on here.

1-470946673.jpg

Drowning Mona works as a dark comedy, with a Thelma & Louise opener that cuts to the son of the person just killed, in his early twenties, hitting on a literal child. Nobody in this movie is likeable or tries to be, in the slightest, whatsoever. Jamie Lee Curtis looks into the camera almost in one scene where she delivers the line "I'm a 33 year old waitress!" with a straight face. It unravels in an interesting way and has a couple of funny scenes. It reminded me of another movie from the time that I think is massively underrated, Very Bad Things, that portrayed every character as an irredeemable piece of shit, wrapping them up in a satire of wedding culture. It has the rhythm of a HBO, Curb type of comedy show and I could see it working as a season long mystery sort of deal. As is, pretty pretty pretty good.

Last edited:

Y2Jayne

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
So I just finished Warcraft. I think it's the third time I've seen it since it was released. I have never played the games, I've only read a couple of novelizations.
All I can say is that it has its flaws, some CGI is way too flashy, but it's a very entertaining fantasy blockbuster and I wish there was a sequel.
Also the 4K blu ray was a delight.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Liar Liar is still so great. Definitely up there with my favourite Carrey performances. Very funny movie, but has some really touching moments as well. Especially towards the end.

Court scenes are wild. :lol

Reactions: Zany Clowny