Wrestling World Cup

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gembo

The Showoff
Reaction score
Anybody else heard about the Wrestling World Cup that WCPW is planning on running? I think it's in spring, the idea is that they get all the world's best talents from the independent scene and have them compete in a tournament for the Wrestling World Cup. I can't say whether I'm looking forward to it or not, as I don't know who's competing yet. But who knows, it might be great, it might be shit, we'll have to wait and see.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I haven't watched anything from WCPW, but it sure is an ambitious idea. This might make me tune in to WCPW, actually.

On a side note: Mexican-based promotion called AAA also has a wrestling world cup. It's called the Lucha Libre World Cup.
However, it's not a singles tournament. The tournament includes a number of three-man tag teams, referred to as trios, from promotions all over the world. So, yeah, this is an ambitious idea and the tourney could be pretty fun.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

The video.

Also, I watch WCPW from time to time because it is free and it has improved since it started. The WC personalities have played a bit less of a role in it on screen and actually, Adam Pacitti was an entertaining heel cowardly GM. Ain't perfect, but hey, it's improving.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
The structure of the tournament seems smart and What Culture does have the bankroll to make it work.

But fuck Matt Striker. Fuck him.

Gembo

The Showoff
Reaction score
Here's some updates:
7 countries and an "other" category competing. The countries are England, Scotland, Germany, Mexico, Japan, America, Canada and the "other" category. Two people from each nation competing. There will be a qualifying event for each country. The two announced so far are the Scottish and English qualifiers. The English qualifier will take place on March 21st in Nottingham. The wrestlers competing are Martin Kirby, Will Ospreay, Rampage, Nick Aldis, Marty Scurll, Zack Sabre Jr, Jimmy Havoc and Zack Gibson.
The Scottish qualifier will take place on the 23rd of March in Motherwell. The wrestlers competing are Drew Galloway, Mark Coffey, BT Gunn, Lewis Girvan, Joe Coffey, Liam Thomson, Joe Hendry and Kenny Williams. I might actually be able to go to the Scottish qualifiers, which would be good

Stopspot

Reaction score
The Mexican qualifier is also announced. From the lucha libre capital of Coventry.

Granted this is the "no way this goes off as intended" block. Way too many big names with politics involved for it to go off without a hitch

Stopspot

Reaction score
Who are the Japanese wrestlers? Any news? Shibata?
By 90% certainty it is going to be freelancers/indymen. New Japan guys basically only work for New Japan's partner companies outside of Japan. When New Japan themselves don't tour of course

TheOtherJR

The Artiste
Reaction score
If they don't put my boy Alejandro "XL" Saez.......

I will do what Y2J did to the british in WWF Smackdown......

You know what.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Here's the Mexico group:
Rey Mysterio Jr., Rey Fenix, Penta El Zero M, El Ligero, El Hijo del Caras, Caristico, Drago and Juventud Guerrera (replacing Alberto el Patron).

This is the "no way this goes down as planned block". Too much politics and beefs involved here. Heck, Alberto has already pulled out

Gembo

The Showoff
Reaction score
I went to the Scotland qualifier last night, and it was brilliant. Had some great matches, I won't spoil anything but I will say that an interesting match was arranged for a future WCPW pay-per-view. What a great show, not one weak match (there was a comedy-style featuring Grado, but I got some laughs out of it and I won't count it as a bad match)
I also met Adam Blampied

Reactions: Stopspot