Wrestling 'virgins'....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

E-zeee now! ;o]

At the weekend, I was 'challenged' by mate to turn him onto wrestling. They've said if I can provoke their interest with a match then they'll sit through a PPV with me and take it from there...

So this got me wondering what match would you suggest as the ultimate 'introduction' to what wrestling has to offer....

(Immediate thoughts are that something like TLC or EC is going to foster an unrealistic impression that matches are often like this, same as a highflying spot-fest...)

...and what PPV would you choose to consolidate their interest?

(I'd imagine one which was heavy on storyline conclusions would be a good option...)

Will come back with my ideas in a bit, but wondered what the IWF mafioso thought?

PeepShow

Show him WM 17. The last 4 matches, excluding the lame gimmick battle royal.

Shane/Vince
TLC 2
Trips/Taker
Austin/Rock

An amazing line up to get into wrestling, not to mention the background of all the matches.

Wrestling Station

i think this thread should be in the street fight section imo.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I think that instead of a PPV you should show a collection of matches. The first thing you'll want to do is shock the shit out of the person to grab their attention. That being said if I had to suggest four matches for you to show him it would be these:

Mankind/Undertaker Hell in a Cell
TLC 2
Kurt Angle/Shane McMahon Street Fight
Edge/Foley Street Fight

From there if you've managed to grab their attention you can move on to other matches like Angle/Micheals from WM 21 etc.

Enigma22

Reaction score
have them watch a tlc with the hardys, the dudleys and edge and christian...

The Ripper

Reaction score
Angle/Undertaker - NWO

and for ppv maybe one of ROH's or a classic wrestlemania

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

definately foley vs taker hiac. that makes them think wow!
and i would say for an event maybe one night stand 2005

Airfixx

See, I don't see how giving a false impression would really serve to convert someone (as in the case of TLC or Taker/Mankind HIAC) as this kind of action is a rarety in WWE... I think someone using those kinds of matches as an introduction would be left dissapointed as they start to watch Raw, SD or whatever and realise they're almost NEVER gonna see matches like that.

My initial thoughts were to try and find a modern equivalent of Savage v Steamboat....

Ya got superb pure wrestling, highflying, classic heel/babyface revenge storyline, foreign objects, outside interference and a secondary storline courtesy of George Steel & Elizabeth, an electric crowd and the spectacle of it being at such a huge event.

Only draw back being, as it's 20+ years old, I'd be concerned about giving the impression that wrestling is 'past it' by 'relying' on a 'the good old days'.

As for an event to follow up with, I'd probably go with WM17. Even if it's not my personal favourite, but Rock/Austin is the epitome of 'The Main Event', ya got TLC, Vince v Shane & Taker/HHH for the roughneck action and some quality grappling on the undercard courtesy of the likes of Benoit, Regal, Jericho etc.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The shock factor works for me because it gets their attention, and once you have their attention you can introduce them to other things, if you're willing to explain.

rosewt01

Reaction score
Website
www.123.co.uk
Favorite Wrestler
abyss
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Match=Edge vs Mick Foley hardcore.
PPV: Wrestlemania 21.

CenaMark54

I would show him Wrestlemania 21. The more I watch it, the more I am convinced it was the best Mania ever.

That PPV had it all;

Batista vs HHH, which was one of the hottest storylines in wrestling history. The crowd wanted Batista to rip HHH to shreds.

The rise of John Cena

Hogan beating up a terrorist

Orton vs Taker which happens to be the most underrated match in WM history. People actually thought Orton would win and if you say you didn't you are lying.

Angle vs Michaels: a definite 5 star wrestling classic.

Eddie vs Rey: Two five star matches on one card? Unheard of

The First ever MITB Ladder match: Three five star matches? Holy shit.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I knew Orton wasn't going to win due to the shoulder injury that he had suffered in the weeks prior to the match. Before that it was a toss up.

PeepShow

I would show him Wrestlemania 21. The more I watch it, the more I am convinced it was the best Mania ever.

That PPV had it all;

Batista vs HHH, which was one of the hottest storylines in wrestling history. The crowd wanted Batista to rip HHH to shreds.

The rise of John Cena

Hogan beating up a terrorist

Orton vs Taker which happens to be the most underrated match in WM history. People actually thought Orton would win and if you say you didn't you are lying.

Angle vs Michaels: a definite 5 star wrestling classic.

Eddie vs Rey: Two five star matches on one card? Unheard of

The First ever MITB Ladder match: Three five star matches? Holy shit.

I would honestly say the 4 I gave him earlier from 17 were better. Although I will say Angle/HBK was amazing, and Taker/Orton was very underrated.

Conc3pt

Reaction score
Show him ECW One Night Stand 2006. The card had some excellent matches (Sabu/Mysterio, Foley Edge Lita/Funk Dreamer Beulah, Cena/RVD) and not to mention the crowd will probably have him laughing his ass off half the time.