Wrestling stiff - fan or not?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
I love it , KENTA matches got me hooked on that style and the puro as a whole I watched after that done that. To be fair to Richards he has put people over

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I love wrestling stiff. The crossarm breaker is the best. :gusta:

Koko B.

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Let's now make this thread about Katie Vick
katievick_crop_north.jpg

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Wrestling "stiff" has no place in wrestling. It's inherently more dangerous and not needed. Period.

Now I'm stiff and need a cocktail.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
So how the hell can you disagree with me when we both said we love stiff wrestling?
lol Calm down. I disagreed with you saying that it isn't as good as 5* technical wrestling match.

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Well considering who's on my profile picture. It's safe to assume that I'm a fan. Don't get me wrong, I love my wrestling in all sorts of forms but stiff wrestling has always been favorite and it's just been a recent discovery for me, seeing Ishii and Honma nearly killing each other was what got me into being a fan. To me, it's wrestling in it's purest forms, just two strong assholes beating each other up for over 15 minutes to show how much of a badass they are, it ain't pretty, but it sure is magical.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
People saying stiff wrestling doesn't belong, are wrong. Wrestling is/was a combat sport, and modern day wrestling is of the same roots as MMA. Catch wrestling evolved into brawl/shoot style wrestling that ultimately became MMA. This isn't a 100 year old evolution. This happened in late 80s and early 90s Japan thanks to guys like Dr. Death, Minoru Suzuki and Ken Shamrock. It's place is well-deserved.

It's a form of wrestling, that has it's own niche. Amongst New Japan, it's the NEVER title. Amongst All Japan, it's the heavyweights, same with Progress. Stiff/Shoot style wrestling isn't mean't to be the norm in wrestling, but it does have it's practitioners, mostly MMA/Wrestling crossovers, who are conditioned to take the heat. It definitely belongs, and I enjoy it very much. Having an appreciation for stiff wrestling, thanks to watching guys like Johnny Ace, JBL, Vader, Stan Hansen, Brusier Brody, Greg Valentine, Dr. Death, Suzuki and especially Ishii, Honma, Makabe and Shibata really allows you to enjoy more of the show. I don't care if a big guy is on, because despite being slow, if the time comes, they can put on a brawl. One of the reasons I'm digging this Rusev v. Titus O'Neil feud. It's stiff, rough and intense.

Reactions: Swift

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Once you've actually done some pro wrestling, you'll understand what I mean. Stiff wrestling can work, just like riding a motorcycle can work...but, it's simply more dangerous than driving a car. The more loose you are and become, the more safe you are.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
Not a fan of it for the same reason I'm not a fan of hardcore. It's less wrestling and more shock value, and MMA already does a much better job at making two guys try to kill each other. To each his own, but I honestly have no Idea why working stiff is so loved besides some sort of fetish about two guys hurting each other just for the sake of it(as opposed to for the sake of competition, like in "real" sports).

Last edited:

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Not a fan of it for the same reason I'm not a fan of hardcore. It's less wrestling and more shock value, and MMA already does a much better job at making two guys try to kill each other. To each his own, but I honestly have no Idea why working stiff is so loved besides some sort of fetish about two guys hurting each other just for the sake of it(as opposed to for the sake of competition, like in "real" sports).
Stiff shots add no shock value. Hardcore wrestling attempts to do stunts that make people freak out. Stiff wrestling doesn't attempt to do that. Also, MMA doesn't promote two guys trying to kill eachother, it's a sanctioned fight with extremely stern rules that prevent anything serious damage. It's basically kick boxing and submission wrestling jumbled up into one.

Once you've actually done some pro wrestling, you'll understand what I mean. Stiff wrestling can work, just like riding a motorcycle can work...but, it's simply more dangerous than driving a car. The more loose you are and become, the more safe you are.
:reigns4:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
From what I can gather since this thread got revived, is that there seems to be a bit of a lack of knowledge on the difference between stiff and STIFF.

Stiff is being willing to work more snug, willing to lock in holds more legitimately, whilst still working them, and to actually make more contact on strikes as to not whiff them/make them look weak. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working snug. Most wrestlers do. And if you are willing to take a punch, fair dues.

Then there's STIFF. Which is just guys going full ham, which is reckless. But that is a very select few wrestlers who work like that. Since most kids who go into wrestling thinking they can do stuff like that get their ass handed to them by the veterans until they know better.

This match is a perfect example of working stiff the right way.

Another part of the issue is probably dumb American/western marks who see these Japanese guys, who are trained to work more snugly since the Japanese system tends to be more old school, and thinking that they can just copy it without actually learning how to work stiff proper. And that breads a generation of wannabes who think they work stiff when they actually don't.

And don't get me started on the stupid strong style debate

Reactions: Swift

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Another part of the issue is probably dumb American/western marks who see these Japanese guys, who are trained to work more snugly since the Japanese system tends to be more old school, and thinking that they can just copy it without actually learning how to work stiff proper. And that breads a generation of wannabes who think they work stiff when they actually don't.
= Progress