Wrestlers upset with The Rock again, Payback PPV logo revealed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PSachkovsky

The Artiste
Reaction score
deth said:
These jabronis need to to know their role, wipe their tears and stfu. Pretty much everyone in the locker room is disposable (save a handful, if that), can't say the same about The Rock. The Rock can do whatever the f*ck he wants because he is THE FUCKING ROCK, not a hard concept to understand. The dude is money. Literally (kinda hehe).
Don't like it? Cry more, sacrifice your decent paycheck and go to Japan, Mexico or ROH.

Wow, way to show how much people care about the future of the company. People work their asses of 360 days a year. Rock comes in has two matches and gets a free pass to become a champion. I call bullshit, and big time bullshit. There are many people who deserve the belt more than The Crock. Guys like Dolph Ziggler, Ryback, The Miz, Antonio Cesaro.

Reactions: #HEEL__SRV9010
Reaction score
PSachkovsky said:
Wow, way to show how much people care about the future of the company. People work their asses of 360 days a year. Rock comes in has two matches and gets a free pass to become a champion. I call bullshit, and big time bullshit. There are many people who deserve the belt more than The Crock. Guys like Dolph Ziggler, Ryback, The Miz, Antonio Cesaro.

You're right. You are damn right. Rock doesn't even appear on every Raw. He appears at alternate Raw shows. At those guys like Drew Mcintyre, Wade Barrett, Antonio Cesaro, who bust their asses every day keep jobbing. The Crock had his time. Now its time to move on. Go act in movies Crock, you're time is UP. I am glad Cena will win the Title at WM. Not because I like him, its because the title will stay in the hands of a guy who wrestlers the whole year.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I agree with what Crayo said. It's a bit childish how some wrestlers are reacting. I can understand why but I find it childish. They should take the Miz and Kofi route and actually approach him and welcome him in due to the increased exposure and chance for one self to make a name for themselves.

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Ehh it's just for Wrestlemania. He is advertising WWE when he walks out with the belt, and even if he's not there, him being champion brings more viewers then when Punk was champion, and if Kofi, Miz, Rhodes(not saying it's them complaining), or any of the backstage people if they were champions. It's only going to be for a little while, and when Rock isn't there it gives them more screen time. Even when rock is there they get more people to view them too since Rock brings in views. I can understand the irritation, having a champion who doesn't show up every week, but it's whatever. What's to be mad about? It's just hype for Wrestlemania, it's to make more money and bring more views, if people like Sandow and Rhodes interact with Rock during his promos they get pretty good rubs.

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Oh and that logo looks like something for a WWE.com webshow.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Laura said:
But isn't jealousy perfectly natural? The Rock's a talented and hard worker, but he's had his time. Now all he's doing is encroaching on the talent and hard work of the rest of the roster. So far he's hijacked 3 Wrestlemania mainevents, and possibly a forth next year. If Hulk Hogan did the same thing in the AE, Rock and Stone Cold never would've got over the way they did. Blame WWE, but it's the Rock who signed the contract. He doesn't need the money, so why is he doing it? Vanity? Publicity? The fans? Who knows, but in the long run, he's doing more harm than good to an already weak product - which justifies a little resentment, IMO.

And advice? What's he supposed to tell them? "The secret to success is being born with good genes and a marketable family name - do that, and you'll go far." His advice obviously did a lot for Kofi. The Rock's success is unique to the Rock and can't be replicated by anyone else. If a superstar wants advice he should go a Paul Heyman type person - someone with a broader knowledge of the business.

Jealousy is understandable because it's a natural emotion and The Rock is doing something they want to do, and it's relatively easy for Rock to do it. I said jealousy shouldn't turn into resentment though. They should approach him for advice, because Rock isn't doing anything wrong. I disagree completely that he's hijacked it. The Rock being there simply puts MORE eyes on the product which means more fans, and more people seeing the other superstars. I don't agree that he should have headlined it three years running, but who else do you put there? It's not The Rock's fault that WWE has zero star quality at the moment -- not enough to draw significant numbers like The Rock can anyway -- and all Rock is doing is giving back to his millions of fans. As you said, he doesn't need the money, he doesn't need this kind of publicity, and he is solely here to give back to the business he loves. Whether you like it or not, Rock segments equal enjoyment and entertainment.

Are you seriously trying to tell me The Rock can't give any advice? The guy who was the top of the pile in WWE because of his TALENT, and the guy who turned WWE success into global Hollywood success. You're telling me he can't give any advice? Think about how many pressure situations The Rock has been in. Superstars should take advantage of him being there, and ask for advice, and then try to get there themselves. Don't resent The Rock because of WWE's short-comings. I agree that new stars need to be created, and that's why you put the new stars against The Rock, you don't simply shut him out of Wrestlemania. Hogan gave the rub to Rock, Rock gave it to Brock; this needs to happen more often now.

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Jealousy is understandable because it's a natural emotion and The Rock is doing something they want to do, and it's relatively easy for Rock to do it. I said jealousy shouldn't turn into resentment though. They should approach him for advice, because Rock isn't doing anything wrong. I disagree completely that he's hijacked it. The Rock being there simply puts MORE eyes on the product which means more fans, and more people seeing the other superstars. I don't agree that he should have headlined it three years running, but who else do you put there? It's not The Rock's fault that WWE has zero star quality at the moment -- not enough to draw significant numbers like The Rock can anyway -- and all Rock is doing is giving back to his millions of fans. As you said, he doesn't need the money, he doesn't need this kind of publicity, and he is solely here to give back to the business he loves. Whether you like it or not, Rock segments equal enjoyment and entertainment.

Are you seriously trying to tell me The Rock can't give any advice? The guy who was the top of the pile in WWE because of his TALENT, and the guy who turned WWE success into global Hollywood success. You're telling me he can't give any advice? Think about how many pressure situations The Rock has been in. Superstars should take advantage of him being there, and ask for advice, and then try to get there themselves. Don't resent The Rock because of WWE's short-comings. I agree that new stars need to be created, and that's why you put the new stars against The Rock, you don't simply shut him out of Wrestlemania. Hogan gave the rub to Rock, Rock gave it to Brock; this needs to happen more often now.

My post made me seem like a hater, but I'm not really. The Rock doesn't entertain me personally, so it's hard for me to see the positives of his run. In the end, I suppose the screaming fans are reason enough for him to be there. As the Rock would say, it doesn't matter what I think.

There's a few flaws in your argument, though. You say the Rock is there to put new stars over. Really? I must've missed when he did that. From my perspective he seems to have opted for the highest profile matches he can, regardless of putting over talent. His feud with Punk did little for Punk, and Cena doesn't need putting over - if the Rock even does put him over. If the Rock really was there to put over talent (like Y2J) I'd have nothing negative to say about him at all. If Ziggler won the rumble and beat the Rock at Wrestlemania, I would have a serious change of heart about the Rock. But the fact is, he's not there to put over talent. He's simply there. Which is entertaining for a lot of people, I understand that - but not really for me.

As for putting more eyes on the product, that's debatable as well. Lots of people tune in for the Rock, but how many stay tuned after he's gone? Raw ratings would indicate not many. It's impossible to say how many long term fans the Rock's run has created, but it can't be very many. Not enough to justify an argument on those grounds, at least.

Also, I've read that the Rock hand picked Cena as his opponent, that it was part of his agreement, last year and this year. He said it had the biggest potential for box office draw or something. If that's true, it suggests he's choosing not to put over talent. He'd rather have his high profile match and go away again. Which, to me, implies his real motivation is vanity. He wants the cheers, the chants, the big win. I'm not sure how concerned he is with giving back to the business. In many of his interviews he even seems contemptuous of WWE and pro-wrestling - as if he's beyond all that.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start ranting again. Bottom line, I just don't really like the Rock. He sucks in the ring, his promos are stale, and his runs have been completely wasted on high profile fluff. I envy people who are entertained by that, but I guess I'm little too cynical. Fair enough, right?

*edit: For the record, I don't hate the Rock himself, I just hate the situation. Like I said, his runs have been wasted, and I think both he and WWE can a share a little blame.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Laura said:
There's a few flaws in your argument, though. You say the Rock is there to put new stars over. Really? I must've missed when he did that. From my perspective he seems to have opted for the highest profile matches he can, regardless of putting over talent.

No I didn't. I said he should be putting over new stars, and that him being there means more people are watching the show meaning more people are watching the other superstars who complain. I absolutely agree that now he should be facing other stars. He doesn't have to lose to put them over though (he put over Punk imo), but he shouldn't be facing Cena again. We have plenty of time for that though.

His feud with Punk did little for Punk

Disagree. It solidified him as the biggest heel in the company imo.

If the Rock really was there to put over talent (like Y2J) I'd have nothing negative to say about him at all. If Ziggler won the rumble and beat the Rock at Wrestlemania, I would have a serious change of heart about the Rock. But the fact is, he's not there to put over talent. He's simply there. Which is entertaining for a lot of people, I understand that - but not really for me.

None of this is The Rock's fault. I'm sure he has no issues letting someone go over him. It's WWE's fault for using him the way they are.

Also, I've read that the Rock hand picked Cena as his opponent, that it was part of his agreement, last year and this year. He said it had the biggest potential for box office draw or something.

Him facing Cena was absolutely the right feud for him last year, no one can say otherwise. I'd like a source -- other than his kayfabe promo -- that suggests he picked him again fro this year. I really think it's up to WWE who he's facing, and not The Rock.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start ranting again. Bottom line, I just don't really like the Rock. He sucks in the ring, his promos are stale, and his runs have been completely wasted on high profile fluff. I envy people who are entertained by that, but I guess I'm little too cynical. Fair enough, right?

That's completely fair enough. There's been multiple occasions where The Rock has bored me to hell in his return, and that I felt people were simply overrating his appearance this time around. When he's on his game though, there are few as entertaining in my opinion.