Wrestlers And Their Fashion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I thought about this while watching Smackdown and seeing Kofi and Truth team up, and thinking to myself that they'd need some form of matching colors or attire if they were going to become a tag team on a regular basis, but this topic isn't about that.

I began to wonder how some wrestlers would have turned out without their own signature styles. For example, would Warrior be Warrior without his trademark face paint? Even if he was still billed as The Ultimate Warrior and still wrestled like a maniac and cut seething promos, how would we remember him if his face wasn't painted or if he didn't have streamers coming off his armbands, or any of his major components were missing... I mean, really, take the face paint off and you've got a Kerry Von Erich look-a-like that lacks the same wrestling ability...

The same could be said for Sting or Muta (early days) or even Demolition. Take their makeup off and they just look like Judas Priest. And why would I be entertained by that?

The same can be said for facial hair, tight designs, masks, and haircuts. Hulkster never had the flashy trunks. He just wore the red and yellow, but he still projected a superstar look thanks to his beard and/or mustache and his bleach blonde hair, not to mention his bronzed skin. Angle is someone who I find to be instantly recognizable thanks to amateur wrestling one piece and the red, white, and blue it alwys features. He has one of the most recognizable attires in the game, and I can't picture him having the same effectiveness wearing any form of tights.

Then you've got some of the whacky hairstyles in wrestling. Taz's or Droz's mowhwaks come to mind, as well as Jeff being the Rainbow Haired Warrior he is. Even Goldberg or Stone Cold can be recognized for their baldness and that's something. If you need an example of how much good an attire change can do you, look no further than Goldust. He was of little use as Dustin Rhodes, but put a jumpsuit and some facepaint on him and he becomes one of the most recognizable IC Champs of the late 90's. And I'm not going to act like Rey Mysterio would have ever have even eclipsed Chavo in terms of popularity if he had stayed unmasked thoughout his career, there's no chance.

In some cases though, simple is better. John Cena wears jean shorts, but it's something that people associate him with. He couldn't just stop wearing jean shorts, it would be unnatural. Roddy Piper liked to wear his basic blue tights at the height of his career and they're something I see instantly when I think of him, and it's something people came to expect from him. Solid blue tights. Nothing fancy there.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that it takes the right formula to comprise a successful attire for a pro-wrestler. While for some, unique, sometimes even outrageous costumes get the job done, but for others, a generic outfit is just as effective. I think it sometimes comes down to what fits a guy best though.

This is a pretty broad topic, but what I want to know is, how much impact do you think ring attires have on making a wrestler successful, and also, what are some of your favorite outfits of all-time?

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Successful no, but it sure as hell can help them get noticed. There are too many "Johnny Boots & Tights" in WWE and wrestling today. A guy like Kofi changes his tight colours, and always keeps them bright so he stands out. Then you've got guys like Crimson, tattooed, black tights, run of the mill look however badass he thinks he looks.

I think of two things regarding this topic:

1. Remember the "new & improved" Dolph Ziggler that lasted a month?

2. Think of the 80's and how unique everyone looked, from Hogan's yellow to Macho & Warriors multi colours to Hart's pink. They knew how to stand back then.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Successful no, but it sure as hell can help them get noticed. There are too many "Johnny Boots & Tights" in WWE and wrestling today. A guy like Kofi changes his tight colours, and always keeps them bright so he stands out. Then you've got guys like Crimson, tattooed, black tights, run of the mill look however badass he thinks he looks.

I think of two things regarding this topic:

1. Remember the "new & improved" Dolph Ziggler that lasted a month?

2. Think of the 80's and how unique everyone looked, from Hogan's yellow to Macho & Warriors multi colours to Hart's pink. They knew how to stand back then.

I think it's one of the worst things, when a guy who isn't quite badass gets pushed into that position and tries to pull off the look. Crimson just generally looks like a huge joke for some reason, despite being rather ripped and having an abundance of tattoos. Gunner is a good example of someone who pulls it off well. When you look at Gunner, he is someone you fear, thanks to his long hair, his long beard, zany eyes, and his tattoos which just-so-happen to be much better than Crimson's.

I also think the 80's were a great time for fashion. But I think that's also partially due to the fact that they each had very solid personas to build their attires around, and because back then, threy were actually easier to idolize (because even into the 80's, there were still a few folks who thought it was real or at least somewhat real) and so they needed something to constantly be recognized by. Hogan's red and yellow was a staple, Mach had his big glasses and the du-rag, along with his normally pink or orange tights to go off of. Sgt. Slaughter's appearance was centered around a gimmick, and it worked. The same could be said for The Iron Sheik with his Middle Eastern headwear and turned up boot tips. They had more to run off of back then than "a wrestler". I think that's why Zack Ryder, Rey Mysterio, Undertaker and other more character-oriented superstars have more recognizable ring attires than someone like Justin Gabriel, Ezekiel Jackson, and maybe even Randy Orton who don't really use their attire to portray who they are or what they stand for.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I'd say it works for Orton and Austin because they're no thrills guys, they turn up, kick some ass then leave, that's their M.O.

Having a basic look can be effective in other ways too. Jericho switching from brightly coloured tights to dark trunks when he turned heel is a great example of this, since it was part of his gimmick of going from a flashly, pandering guy to a no thrills, monotonous speaker.

So having a basic look can be effective, but yeah, I wish some of these guys would put more of an effort in.