Would Things Have Been (Slightly) Better If Punk Had Stayed?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
They tried to book ADR like Eddie when he was a face. Guess faces winning dirty is only an option for Mexicans.

That's racist, vato.

But, yeah, Punk is a far better heel than face and in WWE, even anti-heroes have to be "good guys at heart". It's pretty ironic given the fact that Austin was such a great anti-hero without showing a "good side" to counter his "dark side".

I still think that if Punk had been booked as a face like Austin was booked, it would have been far more successful and he would have been a better face.

wk

Reactions: Snowman1

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Yeah, anyone who says the event would have been average just because of the difference of one match is being a silly goose. I know Triple H/Bryan was MOTN, but Punk/HHH would have still been excellent enough that on top of all the other pivotal moments of the event, it would have still gone down in the record books as a great Wrestlemania. If an event has to rely on the excellence of one match to be considered 'great' overall, it really isn't all that great.
The PPV was average at best as it was... if it were any worse it would have been a completely forgettable Mania. Hell unless you are a DB mark it was forgettable anyhow.

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
No point talking about possible WrestleMania scenarios with Punk because we'll never know.

But I will say, over the next few weeks we will see that there is a serious lack of main-eventers at the moment. There wasn't an obvious drop in star names when Punk left because it was during WM season, with Brock, Hogan, Hunter, Taker, etc, all around and playing big roles. A returning CM Punk is just what they need imo.

Payback is the next PPV and it's in Chicago. I'm guessing Bryan needs a fresh angle and new opponent after Extreme Rules lol

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
This is kind of off-topic a little, but I agree with others that Punk is at his best as a heel, or rather, as an "anti-hero." It's no coincidence that he's always been at his most popular when he's a heel (since that's been the only time when he's had an attitude and an edge to him.) For the past few years, Punk should have been similar to Austin in that his attitude should have been one of "fuck everybody else in the locker room", yet still be willing to form uneasy alliances with people whom he shared a common enemy with. Instead, his attitude as a babyface since the Fall of 2011 has been your typical vanilla babyface who makes bland, cookie cutter promos much of the time and even ponders to the crowd on a regular basis. I mean, just a month or two after "shooting" on Triple H and challenging him to a match at NOC '11, he was joking around with him on Raw like they were buddies.

Even Cena himself still had an edge and played dirty at times after he turned babyface in October/November of 2003. He cheated to eliminate the Big Show at the 2003 Survivor Series and then cheated to win the United States Championship from him four months later, too. Just watch the last couple of minutes of their Wrestlemania XX bout (ironically, this was before Cena became a mostly bland babyface himself a year later):

Reactions: Wacokid27

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
a0f9159e3a9ba19673e1bfbd002a8005.png