World Tour Experience As Part Of Media

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I know I'm late on this, but I've been meaning to share this with you guys. I got to work as part of the media for the UFC World Tour experience. I've been writing for MMA Sucka in April and they are starting to become well known. They were able to talk to the UFC PR group to get me credentials. It was pretty surreal, when I was walking to Beacon Theatre in the city. The line to get into the event was about six blocks long and it was mind blowing to see how huge this event was. Then again the group of fighters that came were GSP, Cain, Jones, Ronda, JDS, Guf, Hendricks, and Miesha. Big names!!!

While waiting to get in because I got there a half hour early, it was surreal seeing Cain, Ronda, Miesha just get out of an Escalde. The fan in me wanted to get a picture, but I realized that I can't act like such a fan boy in front of these legitimate journalists/media analysts. People were from Showtime and Bloody Elbow were right next to me.

I'm not going to go through the exact press conference because it was a month old and nothing earth-shattering happened. Cain-Jones did a stand off, which was pretty awesome since that fight could happen in a few years. Ronda and Miesha were going at it like they've been for years now. Some fan literally asked GSP if he was going to continue to go for takedowns, since he's not confident in his standup. GSP look pretty pissed haha.

So I go in the back and hung out with Helwani for a few minutes. Super cool guy, I've known him for over a year now and we talk a lot through twitter, so it wasn't awkward or anything. The issue was it was my first time and it was crazy how these media guys just swarm fighters and Dana White for the scrum. I was a rookie, not going to lie it was my first time. Another issue was I had no camera man and the P/R lady lied to me saying that fighters weren't going to do interviews afterwards. She said that they had to leave right after and didn't allow my brother to come with me. So I was alone and it was a bit difficult.

I was a part of the Dana White scrum, which is always entertaining especially since it was in NY. Dana shitting on the politicians and culinary union never gets old. If only Tito vs Rampage was announced before the world tour came to NY. It would have been even more entertaining. I know some people shit on Dana for being snobby or condescending. I've always loved the guy and is always super cool to the media.

Anyway the biggest highlights started with Dos Santos. Even though his manager was being kinda a pain in the ass, it was an honor to have JDS as my first interview. The link is below. It didn't come out in great quality due to not being prepared at all. Still it was a sick moment for me and he couldn't have been nicer. He even told me afterwards that it was great to talk to young reporters. He told me to stay dedicated off camera and hopes to talk to me someday again.

[video=youtube;TCTzAiU7_fY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCTzAiU7_fY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrm7QaMPUssHABrnsuYRdlA[/video]

The next big highlight was talking to Johnny Hendricks. Only got five minutes on camera, the link is below. Then we went backstage and he had time to hang out. Wish I got to record, but me and a Mexican/American reporter got to chat with him for fifteen minutes. He talked about the battles with Kos & Condit. He showed the exact scars on his hand from the Condit fight and how much of a pain it was to continue that fight. Talked all about the welterweights and how shocked he was by Silva's over the top taunting finally costing him. I'll admit I found him somewhat overrated, until he beat Condit. That is still the best fight of 2013 and he truly earned that win. Super cool guy and even asked who I was, along with the site I write for.

[video=youtube;2RdyWwzuyCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RdyWwzuyCg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrm7QaMPUssHABrnsuYRdlA[/video]

There are photos below as well. I only took pictures with fighters I interviewed, along with the Cain-JDS face off. Overall it was an unbelievable experience, also a learning one. I'm sure I'll be there for Super Bowl weekend in Jersey, which is happening. It'll be my first time ringside as well. Now I need to make sure I have my Canon camera and microphone with me this time around. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

1005922_10201682465645136_210740316_n.jpg 1004882_10201682760092497_1421863904_n.jpg 544506_10201681452499808_460339556_n.jpg

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
That's pretty cool.

May I offer a few suggestions? I'm no journalist, but I'm the ultimate in casual viewing, so these are things I noticed when watching MMA coverage.

1. Stay on frame when you conduct interviews, it gets you over more with people watching and makes them think you are the only authority on MMA, which is why Helwani is always on camera when conducting interviews.

2. Don't over-complicate questions, makes the fighters look bad if they don't understand the questions and may hurt you down the road. make sure you don't ask questions you know they have been asked a thousands times already. You will most likely get a bored fighter mailing in their answers and makes your interviews look the same as everyone elses.

3. Don't do the "fist pose".....seriously, that's the MMA version of "Blue Steel".

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

May I offer a few suggestions? I'm no journalist, but I'm the ultimate in casual viewing, so these are things I noticed when watching MMA coverage.

1. Stay on frame when you conduct interviews, it gets you over more with people watching and makes them think you are the only authority on MMA, which is why Helwani is always on camera when conducting interviews.

2. Don't over-complicate questions, makes the fighters look bad if they don't understand the questions and may hurt you down the road. make sure you don't ask questions you know they have been asked a thousands times already. You will most likely get a bored fighter mailing in their answers and makes your interviews look the same as everyone elses.

3. Don't do the "fist pose".....seriously, that's the MMA version of "Blue Steel".

I do realize that I sometimes over complicate things, due to just wanting to know as a fan. Sometimes being simple works for many viewers, although like you said saying redundant questions is a bad idea. Not a fan of the fist pose haha? I don't see it as a big deal, but it can get a little silly. Honestly didn't get that reference. Thanks for the tips though, appreciate it.